Problem with volume

Exactly the same here… PiFi DAC+, Volumio 2.692 on RPI3B. Can anyone state the last working version?

Same problem RPI3 & HiFiBerry AMP2.

Merry Christmas

Been having a problem with volume control since last update. Last night volumio was paying at very low volume. Found that the mixer had been set to software. Managed to get Hardware mixer back by going to playback options/Output device - re-selected DAC (IQ Audio, in my case), click save and after Volumio goes through it’s motions, restart, and Hardware mixer is back, and so is full volume. However Webgui still a problem, resets to zero.

RPi3 and HiFiBerry DAC Plus

This is how I managed to make the hardware volume working, although the fix must be applied after each restart.

1. Shutdown -> Restart
  2. Playback Options -> Volume Options -> Change Mixer Type from Hardware to Software and Save. Wait until the UI refreshes.
  3. System -> General Settings -> Run first config Wizard
  4. In the wizard select Next until the last tab then select Done. In the Experience tab I have I want the full set of options but I think it does not matter.
  5. Playback Options -> Volume Options verify that the Mixer Type is Hardware and Mixer Control Name is Digital

Same problem with both my RPi’s, one 3A and one 3B, both with Hifiberry DAC Plus, running Version 2.692.

The hardware option is missing from the list of mixers. When I select software, the word “hardware” re-appears in the settings after a while, but the volume control does not work.

I would be very grateful for a solution.

Thanks

We hope you understand that the developers have gone for a few days.
The issues will be taken care off asap after they return.

I have re-installed version 2.657 from scratch and restored the settings. That works fine on both Pi’s. Hardware is now among the list of mixers -as it should. Volume control is back as it used to be.

Wait & see for an update that solves the problem.

I have the same loosing volume control problem on version 2.692. First I got the problem when I’ve updated from a previous version (2.668), but then tried a clean install and the result was the same. I hope that this will solve soon (after holidays of course :slight_smile: )

I had 2.668 previous installed and no problem. Here it can be downloaded updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip

@ gkkpch:
Absolutely.
With the workaround Sonoskiller gave, it’s working here for now.
Enjoy the holydays!
René.

Unfortunately the Sonoskiller option is not working for me…

Regulating volume using the alsamixer.

Ad.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Please add to the list the Justboom DAC zero. Also not working normally although the Save settings workaround does work in this case.

Next time I get a properly working install I must remember to take a full SD card back up.

System Version 2.692 Dec 19, causes the volume issue. I have two Rasp 3 with HifiBerry DAC+, both are brocken. But if the Audio Output Option is just re-saved it does a hardware restart of the DAC module and all is working until the next restart. For me no need to go back now, i just wait until the Developers fix the bug. -> Such things can happen, i’m still happy with volumio, it is just a great thing to have that open source stack for music streaming. Keep going and thanks for all your work !

one or two or a hundred volume reports will not make a difference, we realize something is out of order.
The issue will be solved, as soon as the devs return from holidays, this will be one of their main priorities.

Despite this is reported already, I will sum up my (first time) experiences where I was not (or not always!!) being able to control the volume.

Equipment:
Raspberry Pi 4 - 4GB
Volumio 2.692
Hifiberry DAC+ Pro XLR
Freshly formatted and flashed 32GB SD card
Macs, iPad and iPhones

Plugins:
Spotify 2.0.2
Volumio Spotify Connect2 0.9.9

All was working reasonably fine with some UI wonkiness that I noticed immediately. Volume of music library files, as well as Spotify Connect, as well as audio over Airplay could be changed and all was pretty much OK, although in the beginning Airplay’s volume was too soft but for some reason this could be coped with by setting the volume dial in the playback tab at full/100 (which is a bit weird). Then the volume scale on the Airplay source device became reasonable.
Actually I was quite happy but then…

I installed the plugin Audio Interface > Volumio Parametric Equalizer 0.1.8 and it was like I invited a termite in the system that quickly ruined the whole thing from the inside. I could not control volumes any more, in fact I lost sound completely, and the next restart the whole thing died. Volumio could not be booted any more, connecting a screen to the RP4 gave nothing so I had to reformat the SD and reflash Volumio again.

After I had entered the exact same things in the Volumio and configured it just the way it was (of course without the parametric EQ that might not be usable with this DAC, not sure) I had to fiddle with the settings because there still was no audio. At first, only Spotify Connect did what it had to do. Later I tried the Settings > Appearance > Experimental User Interface that somehow did something with the settings of the Playback Options too and now I was able to hear something from the local music library (NAS) again. But Airplay still did not work and when I tried to switch back to the current UI and restart, I could not change the volume any more as it was loud, perhaps on full.
Also the result on the Max Volume Level is weird. Including the plus/minus volume buttons… o.k. I can can go on but I will stop nagging now about the UI, perhaps this is as a result of the same cause and that the level gets feedback from the hardware values.

Just still something about the Settings, in the menu Playback Options I selected “HifiBerry DAC Plus” and hope this is the correct one (not sure) for the Hifiberry DAC+ Pro XLR with BurrBrown’s PCM5242 DAC, with I presume I2S set to On.
Below, in Volume Options, Mixer Type is set to “Hardware”, but when I click the box I can then only choose between Software and None.
Then in Mixer Control Name it says now “Analog” but I have also seen it on “Digital”. Anyway, it is not changeable, when you tap the box it disappears. Because according to the information behind the “i” this should be a vital setting, I presume you developer guys will focus on this.

Do not really like the new experimental UI yet b.t.w., it looks and feels very unfinished. Hence “experimental”, o.k… But I do understand some ideas in it.

Alrighty… post 1 here. Not a nice one perhaps, well… happy new year to all - and this just at 3-Kings. :slight_smile:
Not sure what to do next, set the RP4 back to Airplay only to get some music back in the house. We just got ourselves a whole new setup where we thought Volumio could fit in perfectly. Let’s wait wat will happen here. Thanks in advance for all the effort to ment this.

I noticed that the volume setting via the Spotify Android App, when used with the Spotify Connect Plugin, does not work any more. Despite of the DSP restart. But you can set the volume via the Volumio UI instead.

please check github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues/1832
for me it was solved.

Is there any news?

Don’t understand me wrong, but:
This is a very bad bug. Not working volume control on a audio-system is like 4 broken tiers on a car. :confused:
Two things that i can not understand:

1. Why is still no fix out?
  2. Why is the “bad” update still available?!? :astonished:

Yust my 2 cents :sunglasses: