my set up is : Indeed hifi TA2021S + USB sabre 2 Dac with external power supply PSM3 + Raspberry pi using latest volumio.
16/44.1 flac playback is perfect however doing some tests in order to see the limits of my system i am experiencing problems with 24/96 Flacs. Mixer setting is disabled and i use a Samba Share from a Linuxmint box. The network is 100Mbps.
I did some tests and below are my results (i also used Runeaudio in order to examine if it’s a software or hardware issue):
The sample flacs were downloaded from the link below:
2l.no/hires/ (third column)
1. Volumio without DAC, directly from Raspberry Pi, over ethernet with default settings (buffer 2048 and 20% buffer before play) -->OK
2. Volumio + DAC, over ethernet, with default settings --> Noisy sound about every 10sec
3. Volumio + DAC, over ethernet, with buffer 8192 and 30% buffer before play --> the same noise
4. Volumio + DAC, over USB disk, with default settings --> ΟΚ
5. Runeaudio + DAC, over ethernet, with default settings (buffer 512 and buffer before play 0) --> the same noise
6. Runeaudio + DAC, over ethernet, with buffer 2048 and buffer before play 20%) --> OK
As it seems from the tests above, it’s not a hardware issue and Volumio has a problem only when using the samba share.
Please feel free to suggest me any additional test in order to do my best to help solve this small issue.