Primo with RME ADI-2-FS Dac

I use the RME dac as the dac to connect to my preamp. I recall connecting primo also to my preamp and it worked.

Are you sure the tidal connectivity is working? did you try any of the web radio station or connected external drive with some music to the primo via USB, and use the music server option in the volumio app?

Its a great unit, once you get it working, and I am hoping the volumio experts jump in here

Hi Sridhar, everything works like Mediaserver, NAS and internet Radio on the Primo DAC. But when I change the settings for audio output into Gustard USB 2.0 the music stops.When you change this to RME you still have sound. Could be the X16 is not USB compatible.
What might be the problem is that I only connect the Primo with the RCA cable to my preamp, not the Gustatd X16 also. I tried changing the cable from Primo to the X16 when I used that as external DAC but that didnā€™t help.
Maybe it works when I connect them both to the preamp using 2 separate RCA cables.
And I shall sent an email to the Volumio helpdesk about this set-up.
Iā€™ll give it a try, thanks for your input, rgds Eric

Hi Toekan,
strange behaviorā€¦
What do you mean with ā€œthe display of X16 is staticā€? The X16 screen should display the current input channel, encoding format, sample rate and volume. If you get no information, you have no signal.
Do you tried the coax/SPDIF connection or change of USB cable?
Maybe you contact User hamjii, he tested the volumio connection to Gustard X20 and he give some setting advice. Good luck!
Kind regards, Stephan

Hi Potsdamer, youā€™re right. I can see USB input and encoding format, not volume. In the Volumio audio settings screen this turns into 100 and canā€™t be changed. I think I have to connect the X16 to my preamp as well. Now only the Volumio Primo has RCA cables connected.
Thanks for the tip, I will contact User hamjii, is he active in this forum as well?
Kind rgds, Eric

Hi, What about displaying sample rate and testing coax? About user hamjii, i dont no, you have to try. I just found him in USB DAC compatibility list.

Hi, your message is little confusing, just to be sure, outlining few things:

(1) The output coming from Primo is USB cable connected to the DAC, no RCA cables connected to Primo - just disconnect them if you have them
(2) Choose the USB DAC as the playback option
(3) You have the Dac connected to your receiver via RCA or Balanced outputs depending on what your receiver takes
(4) In your DAC choose USB input
(5) In your receiver choose DAC as the input :slight_smile:

I would start with the Media server as the input, and then go to the streaming sources.

If the above does not work, then, get a CoAX cable, connect the RME to the DAC via Coax, make sure you chose CoAX as the playback option and try. If this does not work, then I am at a loss :frowning:

Hope this helps

Hi, I disconnected the RCA cables earlier yesterday from the Primo and connected them to the X16 and my preamp. I had no sound. As you now suggested the same I first unplugged all the powercords. I started with powering up the X16 (with the USB input from the Primo and RCA cables from the X16 to the preamp). Then I powered up the Primo and started with the NAS andā€¦it worked!! Dunno what I did wrong earlier but thatā€™ water under the bridge. Thanks a lot for your time and input, I 'm going for some DSD downloads. Very curious how it sounds, happy listening to u too!

Awesome, congratulations!!

Primo is a neat little streamer - have fun

Thanks Sridhar, I will. One more thing (Iā€™m new to anything other than FLAC) you might know: where can I download High Res files like DSD from a respectable source without it costing me my monthly salary?
Thanks again, Eric