Pop between tracks

I have the issue too, I looked at the I2S bus when you pause or when its between tracks and it completely stops working during those times, that is probably why the pop are occuring.

Now Iā€™m joining the dots, Steve, and will try it again to reduce the pop whenever the Kali stops sending a clock to my DAC.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

This is not Kali only related.

When you pause or when tracks change the I2S clocks from the Pi completely stop during those periods.

In my opinion the clocks should never stop. When paused or between tracks the clocks should continue to run but the data should be all zero (muted).

Understood. I did ask Allo whether the clocks could be kept continuously running but they said it was ā€˜impossibleā€™.

My workaround is to pause the music just before ending and then select another stream, this usually (but not always) eliminates the pops.

Itā€™s not a big deal in view of the astonishing uplift in sound quality over S/PDIF. Iā€™m revelling in detail and dynamics.

I have Kali but I2S directly into my DAC I2S input on < 4cm long connections.

As Allo informed me to, I do set the target bit setting on 32.
Sample rate Iā€™ve tried on 192 and 96. Prefer 96.

I donā€™t have pops.

I remember getting pops when using RPi3 / HifiBerry / SPdif + but that was many iterations ago - feeding into a DPA Enlightenment DAC I using to test with. Long before Kaliā€¦

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If the clocks cannot be kept running continuously than it will not be possible to stop clicks and pops completely unless something is done about it external to the Pi.

I am of the opinion that issue should be fixed at the source instead of patching it externally.

I donā€™t think that this is a volumio specific issue. Is there a way to request a bug fix change to the I2S substructure?

P.S.
With the PecanPi DAC this is resolved because it intercepts the I2S bus and keeps the clocks running to the DAC chips even when the I2S from the Pi stops. This was needed anyway to implement the HW volume control properly.

I was talking with an nvidia shied developer once and he said with that product they added noise to stop a similar issue, not sure if it applies or how but, he mentioned it after I was talking about the apple pi dac and how high the snr was. Mind it was casual conversation when I was selling a naim integrated I was selling.

I have been hearing a lot of pops and cracks since I installed my Allo hat on top of RPI 4. Bought an external volume control and disabled all software volume controls and no pops or cracks since then.

Hi Petr, I have the same issue. I have pops and cracks when songs change and when I put the system at volume 0. Which external volume control solution did you buy?

This issue is bespoken on the web many times. Al RPI software who uses MPD seems to suffer from it. It seems to have to do with the pcm signal switching of between tracks and some dacs lock in. It is very annoying. Especialy on loud volumes, and maybe even can damage a tweeter?

Some of us have very expensive or unique audio stuf, expensive dacā€™s or streamer hats and we are dealing with pops and clicks between tracks :frowning_face:

My q is, can or will this be resolved in the near future? I love Volumio, but if it can not be ā€œrepairedā€ i need to swith from a RPI to a comercial streamer.

Doubt so, given that you have correctly calculated HPF in place. if it breaks, then it was proplem with the speaker which was doomed to fail at any given moment anyway.

To the proplem itself, yes its super annoing, once you hear the pop/click first time you will always here it after that.

Wel, i do not agree with that. You can blow a tweeter on many ways. If a HPF would prevent that, no tweeter would be damaged ever. Tweeters are / can be very sensitive (to spikes).

But i hope to get a solution to the problem soon.

i have rpi and donā€™t have that problem at all it could be the hat your usingā€¦
i use dragonflyā€™s and khadas tone 1 board on rpi4 /4gb.

No. There are a lot of people who suffer from it.

Look at this topic. Or search at the net ā€œpop or clicks between tracks ā€¦volumio, rpi, roon en so onā€

It happens on bare USB output aswell. And it happens on all the music playback distros like moode audio etc.

The proplem really is in there.

oke i didnā€™t have it yet ā€¦ and hope to keep it like thatā€¦ most of the time itā€™s switching between songs and the quality of them.

Yes there are definitely a lot of people suffering from the issue. I personally wasnā€™t able to solve the problem, so I had to switch to piCorePlayer. Quite a shame because I loved Volumio and even had MyVolumio Virtuoso. But yeah the pops were way too annoying.
With piCorePlayer I have zero issues.

1 Like

Some background info and a solution to deal with it for Volumio.

[ snip ]

No set an option for a delay in playback option, DSD-DoP is causing the issue for some DACā€™s.
Some DAC manufacturers solved it within their firmware, others didnā€™t.
This behavior can be easily reproduced by manually changing tracks or albums.

If the POPā€™s have any DC component in it, it might even blown your tweeters, as these coils donā€™t deal well with DC.