[PLUGIN] YouTube Music

Hi everyone,

Is there an update on this? It would be great to be able to access my music library again.

Steve

Youtube2 and Youtube Music plugins are available on Volumio3 plugin store, they work pretty well

Thanks, Darmur

The problem I (and others) are having is it has been working fine until January when the option to play uploaded and other music disappeared. The only option on the screen is playlists with all the other menu items no longer showing. I hope this makes sense.

I guess you have to wait until patrickkfkan is back,
from what I understood he is on an extended vacation for a few months.

Thanks for the update. Hope he’s OK and I appreciate often this sort of work is a labour of love.

Just to clarify the problem is accessing personal uploads apart from my personal playlists (some 2000 albums purchased over 40 years ) in the library menu. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Hi everyone, I’m back with an update of the plugin (v0.2.1). You can find it in the beta channel of the plugin store:

1. Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  2. Find the YouTube Music plugin in the plugin store. Click the Details button under it and choose latest beta version to install.
  3. Restart Volumio.

Library should be functional again.

As much as I would like to reply to every message posted here, I’m afraid I do not have the time. If any of you have had any problem with the plugin, please try the latest version and let me know if the problem persists.

4 Likes

Welcome back :smile:

Welcome back.

As one of the posters in this thread who had problems with the plugin (missing menu items), all now seems to be working again and I can listen to my uploads.

Thanks for your work on this

Steve

1 Like

Yay!

In YouTube music menu items is Start radio but there is missing this item in menu.
Is possible to add this item?

Thanks,
Lavis

If I understand it right, so it may be simple. On FAQ — ytmusicapi 1.0.1 documentation i see:

How can I get the radio playlist for a song, video, playlist or album?
songs, videos: RDAMVM + videoId
playlists, albums: RDAMPL + playlistId

patrick will reply…

No. Unless I missed something, context menus are not customizable in Volumio. The type of item determines the menu contents.

With this plugin, the current behavior is as follows:

1. For sections that show a combination of different item types (songs, albums, artists…), clicking a song will play the radio associated with that song. Example is Home → Listen Again.
  2. For sections that contain entirely songs, clicking a song will play the entire section, starting with the selected song. Example is Home → Quick Picks , or when browsing contents of a playlist / album.

For (2), I can easily change the code so that it starts a radio, but that might be confusing for some as the normal behavior in Volumio is to add the entire block of songs to the queue. For mixed items in (1), on the other hand, I had no choice other than to start a radio. Personally I think (1) is confusing because there is no visual element to distinguish between artists, songs and albums.

playlistId and related data is actually encapsulated within a song’s URI. You can see it when you add a song to the queue, then go to http://<volumio_address/dev. This info is used for Autoplay, so you will be essentially playing a radio if you do this:

1. Go to plugin settings. Enable Autoplay.
  2. In the menu for a song, click ‘Play’.

After song has ended, or if you click Next, the plugin will fetch the next batch of songs from the radio and play them.

Thanks for the explanation.
The trick with Autoplay is sufficient for me.
I’m sorry for my laical post about that it may be simple.
The Volumio and the YT Music plugin are great and the Autoplay solve the Start radio function.

Updated v0.2.2, which addresses the same issue affecting YT plugin:

Basically the same fix as YT plugin:

To install the updated plugin from beta channel:

• Uninstall current version.
  • Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  • Restart Volumio.
  • Find the YouTube Music plugin in the plugin store. Click the “Details” button under it and choose latest beta version to install.

Got bored of waiting for the script. I can confirm that deleting the plugin folder from /data/plugins/music_service and rebooting frees up the system so you can follow @patrickkfkan 's instructions. Then everything works again. Thanks Patrick for getting the fix to us so quickly.

Updated v1.0.0:

• Add prefetch support and ‘Prefer gapless Opus’ option. See here to understand what the latter option is for.
  • Autoplay: fallback to radio if no autoplay items available (happens when playing private uploads)
  • Lazy-load API instead of loading when plugin starts. This avoids the issue that plagued earlier versions, where the API effectively froze Volumio.

The plugin has been rewritten in TypeScript, hence the major version change from 0.x to 1.x. If you spot any regressions, please report them here.

v1.0.0 currently in beta channel of Volumio plugin store. To install:

• Uninstall current version.
  • Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  • Find plugin in the plugin store. Click the Details button under it and choose latest beta version to install.
  • Restart Volumio.

(All steps mandatory)

2 Likes

Maybe I am missing something but when I use the YouTube plugin everything seems to work but playback stops after some time, like 20-30 minutes when the playlist is over four hours. I can click on the next icon to restart but it stops again after sometime. If I try to uninstall, it gives me an error and the only way to remove the plugin is to delete the folder and reboot.

Tried to reinstall after deleting the folder rebooting and setting plugins to dev mode as indicated above and now it gives this error:

but when I go back to installed plugins, it is there and I can select a playlist:

What am I doing wrong? Running latest version of Volumio on RP 3B+.

Regards,

1 Like

Logs would help.

Does this happen every time and with any playlist?

Yes it does happen every time. I’m out town right now but will send logs when I get back next Friday 29th

Regards,