[PLUGIN] YouTube for Volumio

The standard method to install youtube plugin from available plugins has changed -> google.com/device no longer supports direct authentication with security code provided.

The current procedure using Google’s Youtube API is mentioned here by patrickkfkan :
youtube-for-volumio-t6608-160.html

I tried installing youtube plugin but it doesn’t move from downloading status. Internet works fine - webradio, version update checks etc & ping google.com through putty.

[code]volumio@volumio:~/volumio_youtube_install$ volumio plugin install

This command will install the plugin on your device

Compressing the plugin
Plugin succesfully compressed
Progress: 10

[/code]

I have the touchscreen plugin installed for using a 7" Waveshare LCD display.

Hi penjoseph,
Thanks for your supporting, thank you very much. After follow patrickkfkan’s method, it’s work again!!!

For my problem, I did a complete SD card reformat & reinstall of Volumio’s latest version 2.673. Enabled both LAN & WiFi (earlier WiFi was disabled )

The first plugin I tried to install was Youtube & then it installed correctly !

Enabled SSH

Copied youtube-20191116.zip (latest version as previously mentioned) to /home/volumio folder through WinSCP. (user: volumio / pass: volumio)

Then logged in through PuTTy (user: volumio / pass: volumio)

volumio@volumio:~$ cd /home/volumio
volumio@volumio:~$ mkdir volumio_youtube_install
volumio@volumio:~$ cd volumio_youtube_install
volumio@volumio:~/volumio_youtube_install$ miniunzip /home/volumio/youtube-20191116
volumio@volumio:~/volumio_youtube_install$ volumio plugin install

Logged out & logged in through WinSCP. Deleted following in /home/volumio folder - youtube-20191116.zip & volumio_youtube_install

After which I installed touchscreen plugin sucessfully

Ok.
patrickkfkan said:

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but: How do I do that? :confused:

@DipterePow:
use WinSCP. Download link
winscp.net/eng/download.php

Ok thanks a lot, I didn’t know it was possible to send files via ssh :blush: :smiley: .
I did it with FileZilla (I’m working on Mac).

So I uncompressed the plugin file and launched the install.
I got a first error message:

[code]This command will install the plugin on your device

Compressing the plugin
/bin/mv: target ‘/tmp/plugins/youtube.zip’ is not a directory
child_process.js:644
throw err;
^

Error: Command failed: /bin/mv *.zip /tmp/plugins/youtube.zip
/bin/mv: target ‘/tmp/plugins/youtube.zip’ is not a directory

at checkExecSyncError (child_process.js:601:13)
at execSync (child_process.js:641:13)
at install (/volumio/pluginhelper.js:688:9)
at Object.<anonymous> (/volumio/pluginhelper.js:749:9)
at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:663:10)
at Module.load (module.js:565:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:505:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:497:3)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:693:10)

volumio@mikhifi:~/volumio_youtube_install$[/code]

So I created this directory (/tmp/plugins/youtube.zip)

And now I have a new error message:

[code]This command will install the plugin on your device

Compressing the plugin
Progress: 10
Progress: 30
Progress: 0
Status :Une erreur est survenue lors de l’installation du plugin Error: Error unzipping plugin: Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/miniunzip -o /tmp/downloaded_plugin.zip -d /data/temp/downloaded_plugin
[/code]
There is surely something I’m doing wrong, but what?.. :confused: :confused:
Someone to help me?..

Don’t unzip the file, just place it in your Volumio home directory (/home/volumio)
Then in Volumio console, enter the following:

volumio@volumio:~$ cd /home/volumio volumio@volumio:~$ mkdir volumio_youtube_install volumio@volumio:~$ cd volumio_youtube_install volumio@volumio:~/volumio_youtube_install$ miniunzip ../<name of zip file downloaded> volumio@volumio:~/volumio_youtube_install$ volumio plugin install

Ok I did it and… IT WORKS!!!
And it works very well!!!
Thanks sooooooo much for this incredible work! It is surely one of the best plugin for volumio!

I just have a question: In which case will we have to check all these settings again?

Just to confirm,

Istallation went fine - using the “step by step” manual from creating google credentials to activation.
Youtube plugin is running … so first day experience is nice.
Device is ODROID C2 / volumio 2.673
YUTUB.jpg

Sorry I’m not fluent in English so I have to use it via google translate.
I have successfully created the Youtube API but cannot install the youtube package, please help me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zw8FQsNiL7a4pPTZ9

You don’t have to copy and paste the prompt. So, in your case, here are the commands you should enter:

cd /home/volumio
mkdir volumio_youtube_install
cd volumio_youtube_install
miniunzip ../youtube-20191116.zip
volumio plugin install

Hi Charles,

I’ve been away for quite a while. Have you got the problem resolved yet? If not, could you perhaps also let me know which version of Volumio / MPD you’re using?

Thanks.

Patrick

Thank you very much. Following and succeeding, I am really old and very poor at linux. Sorry I’m not fluent in English so I have to use it via google translate.

First of all, thnx so much for the update (am using 1116).

I do have some problems tho…not sure if this is because of the situation Volumio is used. We use it in the office, multiple people selecting things from the sequence to play, and sometimes it doesn’t want to play Youtube videos anymore (or seems stuck at wanting to play just one certain video), until some time passes, then it will be able to play something new.
It also seems that it just doesn’t want to play certain videos anymore (they won’t even load).

(in the past Youtube never really had this problem)

system version 2.673

I also updated the time(zone) with:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

I am unable to obtain a code in settings for YouTube.
I have uninstalled / reinstalled several times with no avail. I have also tried deactivating the plug in numerous times but the code box in setting is BLANK.

Are you able to assist?

Peter

Hi,

I see that several people on the forum have the same problem - but I don’t see the solution. I have the latest volumio, youtobe installed, configured as api with my google.
The problem is that the songs are paused a few / several seconds before the end.
Is there any solution to this problem?

Hello,

Is there anybody out there that can help. This appears to be a common problem.

Disappointed to say the least. Perhaps I should just stop using and PAYING for Volumio!!.

Not great service… that’s for sure!

Peter

Hi,

For videos that won’t play, Is there a youtube link which I can test on my side?

That said, I’ll have a look (when I have time) at the code that’s responsible for fetching the YouTube streams. Currently, the Youtube plugin seems to have quite a bit of overhead incurred when getting the streams - I’ll work on that probably within the next week.

I’m about to post a response further down the thread about MPD that Volumio uses. It should also provide some insight on why the plugin sometimes seem to be acting up.

Best regards,
Patrick

Hi,

When you set “Use Default” under API settings, does the Code box still remain Blank? You should get an error message like “Unable to obtain code” in the box…

Could you check the log messages and see if you spot any error messages when you activate the plugin?

sudo journalctl -f 

Best regards,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I should make you aware, that I am running Volumio on an IPad (IOS).

I cannot find the API Default setting you mention. I am also unable to find the log file you mention.

The YouTube plugin is the only one that’s not working and every other other plugin has installed and is working fine.

Sorry if this comes across as me being a bit dim, but when I install the YouTube plugin, I don’t get the opportunity to intervene and the plungin installs without problem. However, when I go to settings the code box is empty and therefor I cannot proceed.

Hope this makes sense.

Peter