[PLUGIN] YouTube for Volumio

i have that to why ? i have no anwser to that the plugin is not really stable it’s from 2017
the problem is that where on old software instead of new most of the things are working on newer node.js where stuck on v8 instead of v10 most of the thing go up
volumio is stuck on old scripts it had to be refreshed over time
i see it as driving fiat 500 motor in your Ferrari f40 it just doesn’t fit really good…

i think that these discussion never come to an end :slight_smile: but indeed, it was stable a few months ago, but now is not… i was wondering and asking These Questions … a simple answer like : i have no idea and the same Problem would be enough in this case :wink:
but thanks a lot for ur work….

uhm … nothing …

i really appreciate ur help and ur work… but it seams that there is no common solution for this Problem… i will try to set up a completly fresh System and will report if Things gonna Change…
thank u

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’ve been missing from the scene for ~9 months. During this time, I’ve moved on to other things but still use Volumio occasionally for my music stuff.

As I understand, the Youtube plugin had been removed from the official list of Volumio plugins. I haven’t been using the plugin since then but I think it would now be a good time to revisit it and see what can be done to get it working properly again. Nevertheless, since I can only do this in my spare time, it could be a while before I can churn something out. Hopefully I’ll be able to get something done before Christmas (current code looks like mashed potato, so I’ll probably start afresh).

Best regards,
Patrick

5 Likes

@patrickkfkan did you see this?

1 Like

does any one still have the plugin working? mine is dead…
uhm in no version it want’s to play …( 3.10 and 2.853 )
the 3.10 indexes songs fast and the 2.853 is very slow in responce
i can login to google … can search on yt with volumio he says gonna play but no responce of mpd
it shows but player doesn’t play…

"dependencies": {
		"googleapis": "45.0.0",
		"inside": "^1.0.0",
		"iso8601-duration": "1.0.6",
		"kew": "0.7.0",
		"md5": "2.2.1",
		"node-cache": "5.0.1",
		"v-conf": "^1.4.0",
		"ytdl-core": "^3.2.0"

any body a idea? went true all options above… need some ideas

Hi to all,

it seems yotube plugin for Volumio has again problems with the video/audio coding. Since one week i experienced the same problems of other users.

This is my log running after login to volumio via ssh and running sudo journalctl -f

Dec 07 15:46:38 volumio volumio[819]: ***** track.uri: bEeaS6fuUoA
Dec 07 15:46:38 volumio volumio[819]: Calling `ytdl.getInfo` with a callback will be removed in a near future release. Use async/await.
Dec 07 15:46:40 volumio volumio[819]: Error: Error parsing info: Unable to retrieve video metadata
Dec 07 15:46:40 volumio volumio[819]: at getWatchPage (/data/plugins/music_service/youtube/node_modules/ytdl-core/lib/info.js:75:13)
Dec 07 15:46:40 volumio volumio[819]: at <anonymous>
Dec 07 15:46:40 volumio volumio[819]: at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:188:7)
Dec 07 15:46:40 volumio volumio[819]: Error opening Youtube stream, video is probably not valid.

Please help me to understand if you have the same errors to start a debug.

I would like to rembember that we used a youtube plguin 0.10 from december 2019 (i think to remember) but there are new versions. Rember also that google apis actyal version is the 59.00 or 61.00

The code of the plugin is a mess and i’d like to hel with debug and test a developer with the right knoweldge of node.js (unfornately i don’t know node.js).

One month ago i compare the two versions of plugin and the are many differences also i the autenthication paramters and method to work.

Maybe @patrickkfkan is our man :slight_smile: or @balbuze.

I’d like to rembember that volumio is great, but for my experience, youtube actually is my method to listen the 70% during my day. Is free and have music also in hd nowadays and i cant’ pay a service like spotify or something else.

The youtube plugin is kille service for Volumio. It’s important.

For the moment you can go using stream what you hear from your pc and setting a local webradio starting from your pc, but it’s not the same, instead cant using bubble upnp app with my smartphone.

The real joy is to use yotube plugin with smartphone.

Bye

@queengab
around christmas patrickkfkan will get in to this matter he said …
so we have to wait a little bit … it would be a nice christmass gift from him i guess :slight_smile:
@alex me Tree :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I’m looking forward to Xmas even more :roll_eyes: :upside_down_face: :star_struck:

Hi everyone,

is it really a good idea to rely on the Google API? There have always been issues about it…
On the other hand Google seems to be very friendly to access via youtube-dl. Seems like a lot of persons work on it to keep it working.
I’m not a JavaScript programmer, but there exists an NPM package for accessing youtube-dl from within JavaScript that might be useful: https://www.npmjs.com/package/youtube-dl

Regards,
Jochen

@jnreinwa
they are back …27 days …they had RIAA problems that’s why we didn’t use it Jochen…

mine is also dead :frowning:

@dvo
The Software was always working and it was possible to get it from other websites. It is not an online service that can be taken down. The RIAA problems showed once more that it is not easy to “take down” youtube-dl. As long as Google is not really willing to do so…

we will see what way it’s gonna be … patrickkfkan will pick it so wait and see…

Hi there @volumio team I have a issue where the youtube plugin is not listed under the PLUGIN MANAGER under MUSIC SERVICES I am running system ver 2.853
is there a plugin or service that i need to install before i can get the youtube plugin on my list to be installed

thanks Wynand

Hi Wyand, it’s not listed since a while because it’s not running currently. More details you can find in this thread.

Hi everyone,

Let’s move over to this thread:

Regards,
Patrick

Thanks @Axel

will go and have a look at it

Hi @patrickkfkan,

thansk very much for your effort.
I have 2 questions for you

1. I have actually volumio 2.853 (latst version) with rapi2 and hi-fi berry. Mpd version 0.20.18. Is this the case to follow your insturctions here?
    MPD 0.21.16 for Volumio (arm, armv7 and x86)
    I have upnp server can’t work and have problem in the past with youtube playback that interrupt at 3/4 of the song. I assume volumio is based on older debian version.
  2. To install the plugin i will follo your link. But don’t know if we can clone the plugin direclty from github. And then where can i create the youtube plugin installation idrectory? Inside volumio directory user of volumio?

Anyway thanbks very much for your work. We really appreciate and if you need tests write to me!

Bye