[PLUGIN] YouTube for Volumio

Hi,

I’ve got the same trouble. Code is Blank.

Volumio is running on a Raspberry Pi 3B
Volumio version : 2.673
Youtube plugin version : 0.1.0 Update 22/08/2019

I tried using Chromium on mobile, firefox and chrome on a computer.
I’ve got Spotify and volspotconnect2 which are working fine.

Thanks for your time and if you have more question or things to try.

Hi,

You said “Youtube plugin version : 0.1.0 Update 22/08/2019”

Did you install the one from the “official” repository and not the one which I put up here?

The official one has been broken for quite a while and will not work. You need to use the one I provided and follow the instructions to create a Google API key before using it. Or you could wait for the Volumio team to update their plugin which they say will be available in around 20 days.

Instructions for creating the Google API key can be found here

Hi Peter,

It suddenly occurred to me and I would like to confirm…are you using the “official” plugin instead of the one I uploaded to this thread a while back?

Please read my response to ValNyz just above.

Best regards,
Patrick

You’re right, it’s the official plugin. I’ll try your version. It might be good to remove the official plugin and put yours with custom instruction in place.

Thank you very much.

Hi Patrick,

Thnx for your reply! (and your awesome work!)

I tried to play one of the best songs of my people :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: *just one I remember that didn’t want to play at all… not at the office now, so can’t check others

youtube.com/watch?v=SccjaskA1n8

Hi TonyK and others who are having recent problems with playing YouTube tracks,

The attached update should solve this problem. To update your existing YouTube plugin, download the attached zip file to your Volumio device, extract it to some directory, then:

If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling the existing YouTube plugin first, then:

As usual, let me know if there are any issues with this version.

And Merry Christmas everyone!

-Patrick
youtube-20191224.zip (5.75 MB)

Hi patrickkfkan,

your manual worked like a charm!

Only one thing to mention: The Client-Secret field should be treated as password field. so the Secret should be stored encrypted. It is just a mention, because we are in LAN (which is hopefully trustworthy) and there is no TLS encryption.

Do you have any information when the plugin is officially available in that kind of state?

Kind regards

Hi Pit-Storm,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I’ll consider using password fields for the credentials section in the plugin settings, but in the end those credentials will still be stored as plain text in the backend. The ‘****’ password fields are only good for preventing people from snooping behind your back and getting your API keys when you access the plugin settings.

So why don’t we encrypt the credentials before storing them to disk? The reason is, there’s really no point in encrypting the password before writing it to the configuration file. Volumio is open source and the password could easily be obtained by reversing the encryption process. If you understand the process in which Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc. store user passwords locally, you’d be surprised at how easy it is to fetch those passwords back (interesting read: http://raidersec.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-browsers-store-your-passwords-and.html)

That said, you should generally be safe as long as you don’t share the password to the ‘volumio’ (and of course ‘root’) user account with other people, and those who have access to your LAN are trustworthy (i.e. they won’t sniff the network to get your API keys). Also, if you set up your YouTube API credentials correctly, then YouTube read-only access is allowed and the worst-case scenario is that your daily API quota gets eaten up. Furthermore, If you found someone else is using your credentials you can just delete them from your Google developer console and set up new ones.

As far as the official plugin is concerned, unfortunately I do not have any say in what will be included, when it will be released, etc. I have no ties nor communication with the Volumio team so it is entirely up to them to decide what to do with the plugin. Being opensource, they are of course free to pull code from my Github if they wish. @michelangelo did say a few posts back that they will be releasing one soon, so let’s see what improvements that will entail.

-Patrick

I registered me to say a special thanks to you all and especially to patrickkfkan!
Having Christmas music from youtube tonight :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The only issue I had, I downloaded the zip plugin in te same folder where I wanted to exctract it.
That threw an error while installing.
But fixed now. :nerd:

You’re welcome, and Merry Christmas! :smiley:

Hi Patrick,

Firstly, thank you for your hard work and contribution to Volumio community.
As u said, we can compile the latest version of MPD to resolve “2/3 cut off” issue of Youtube plugin. So, can you guide me how to compile the latest version of MPD? All my try from google is all failed :unamused:

Hi Patrick, thanks for the workaround. Unfortunately, the youtube plugin does not start (error: can not start plugin) after installation based on your guideline. I have Volumio version 2.555. I could setup all the credentials needed in googleapi, but now I never reach the point of being able to put in the credentials. If I install manually the “official” youtube plugin, the plugin starts - but no code, as is known. Any suggestions. Thanks and best Regards
Andres

I’m having trouble granting read only access for Volumio. When going to settings to acquire a code to supply to google devices, no code appears. How do I get the plugging to provide a code number?

Hello,

I need to polish up my build scripts before making them available. Give me 1-2 days.

What device are you using? I’ve only tested mine on an ARM device, but not the X86. I do have one compiled for the x86 but haven’t got around to testing it yet (need to get a spare x86 or maybe setup at VM to test it).

-Patrick

Hi Andres,

Could you check your Volumio log and see if there are any error messages when you load the plugin?

I am using version 2.657 , so I’m not sure if it’s backwards compatible with 2.555. Is it possible for you to upgrade your Volumio ? Maybe use another SD card for testing?

-Patrick

Are you by any chance using the official Youtube plugin?

Hello,

I have posted version 0.21.16 of MPD in this thread, which should solve the YouTube 2/3 playback problem. Not sure if it will break other things, though. Purely experimental!

I am trying another (lighter) approach to solving the 2/3 problem but it could take a while (not much time recently).

Best regards,
Patrick

Awesomeness!! Thnx a lot Patrick!!

I used the update command, worked fine!

(only not sure why it didn’t come back to a normal command-line thing *sorry for being vague, had to restart volumio from the user interface since typing in ‘volumio vrestart’ didn’t do anything after the ‘Status :Succesfully updated plugin’)

Happy 2020! Hope Volumio will continue to be awesome! :wink:

volumio 2.692
Raspberry Pi3
How do I get the plugging to provide a code number?
code.jpg

Awesome!! Thank you very much, great work Patrick!!