[PLUGIN] YouTube Cast Receiver

I took the plunge, and simply updating the YTDL-core package wasn’t enough. Oddly I also don’t see a notice in my logs that something is wrong (or right), perhaps some debugging option is missing? (even with verbose logging enabled)

after a cast stream is finished I have to reboot volumio 3.

Now I can not cast. Get connected to desktop notification but the stream does not play

Thanks for making this plugin, it’s almost working for me!

Can get stuff to play from the youtube app through Volumio pretty well, but the connection keeps dropping out. If I then go into the YT app and re-connect it’s fine again for 3/4 mins before disconnecting

This isn’t happening when I play through spotify, so not sure if this is plugin specific or something else, but would love some help if anyone’s able?

Just using the 0.1.2 plugin installed through the Volumio app, not made any changes to any settings yet

@patrickkfkan - first of all, thank you for your wonderful plugins!

Thanks to your YouTubeMusic plugin we can FINALLY enjoy YTM on our porch!

Quick Question: I see that YouTube cast doesn’t support the YTM app (YTM app sees Volumio as a cast device but nothing happens). I saw earlier in this thread this is due to a different type of authentication YTM uses. Is there any way to combine the authentication you are using in the YTM plugin with the Cast Receiver and have the best of both worlds? Or make a YTM specific cast receiver. Thanks again for all your hard work!

1 Like

Authentication in the context of casting is different from YTM sign-in. They cannot be combined.

1 Like

Updated v0.1.3, which you can find in the beta channel of plugin store. Mainly fixed MPD connection error. Try this version if you have problem with plugin not playing cast tracks.

To install from beta channel:

• Uninstall current version.
  • Enable Plugins Test Mode in http:///dev
  • Find the YouTube Cast Receiver plugin in the plugin store. Click the Details button under it and choose latest beta version to install.
  • Restart Volumio.
1 Like

Updated v1.0.2, which you can find in the beta channel of plugin store.

To install from beta channel:

• Uninstall current version.
  • Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  • Find the YouTube Cast Receiver plugin in the plugin store. Click the Details button under it and choose latest beta version to install.
  • Restart Volumio.

New features

1. YouTube Music support

Yes, I was wrong before in saying this could not be done :upside_down_face:

2. Multiple connections

You can control playback from multiple connected devices. To clarify, multiple connections must be of the same client type, i.e. you cannot have both YT and YT Music connected at the same time.

3. Manual pairing, aka Link with TV Code (YouTube mobile app only)

You can now connect with YouTube mobile app even when device is not on the same network; might also serve as a workaround for those who have problems with Volumio not showing up in the Cast menu.

Go to plugin settings to obtain pairing code, then open Cast menu on YouTube mobile app and choose Link with TV Code.

Never share / expose the pairing code!

4. Playback of private videos and music

To clarify, ‘private’ means self-owned and not made public, such as Uploads in your YT Music library. Not sure if it will work with private media owned by others but shared with you.

This version is a major update, with extensive code changes especially in the underlying yt-cast-receiver library. I would like to have tested it longer to see if there will be major issues after, say, a month, but maybe releasing it now as beta will allow issues to be spotted sooner. So, happy testing!

Only enable Verbose Logging in the plugin settings when you have an issue that needs debugging. After enabling this option, logs should be sent to me via PM. Do not post them anywhere else as they might contain information related to your Cast sessions and environment (no passwords / usernames involved, but still not a good idea to expose them).

6 Likes

Great work Patrick - just installed the plugin.
The cast device shows up in both youtube and youtube music. Works for Youtube.
Wondering if we need to uninstall the previous youtube music plugin? I’m logged in but casting doesn’t work (previously yt music doesn’t either, as before, but may be a premium problem?

Thanks,

Both premium and free should work.

Are you on v1.0.2? Also, did you restart Volumio after installing?

You could also enable Verbose Logging in plugin settings and send them to me through PM. I need logs from the moment the plugin starts to when you try to connect in YT Music. PM the logs to me. Dont post them here.

Thanks, just the latest stable one one from the plugin store. Will do that and confirm/pm you once home. Cheers!

Hi, I have two RPi Zero devices with YouTube Cast plugin. One with WiFi onboard, one with USB Ethernet adapter. The one with WiFi works well, but I’m not able to get the Ethernet one working. All devices are in the same subnet. I tried v.0.1.2 and 0.1.3. Also tried v1.0.2, but I can’t even enable the plugin after installation, so I went back to 0.1.3. Is it network related or should I try to reinstall Volumio? Thank you…

It looks like I figure out - the issue is the system name with capital letter. If the name was Volumio, it was not working. I changed the name to volumio and it works now!

PM sent. I don’t really use youtube music that often so no biggie.
btw, Youtube video casting to volumio working pretty well - Tom Misch Live displaying 48kHz 32 bit. Sometimes the playback stops if close youtube on the browser (pc) but still testing it out.

Thanks for your efforts!

You really need to be running v1.0.2 to be able to cast from YouTube Music. What is the reason for not running this version?

Thanks for sharing this. I’ll see if this can be fixed in the next version.

1 Like

Hey mate, yeah I ended up installing 0.1.2 from the phone plugins, not sure why but perhaps another link from the thread. either way the same.

Cheers

It’s 1.0.2, not 0.1.2 …

v1.0.2 is in the beta channel. Perhaps that is why you missed it?

That’s it. Tried both anyway and doesn’t make a difference. Cheers

Ok then, you only sent me the logs for v0.1.3 right? I need the logs for v1.0.2 since that is the version that supports YouTube Music.

Could you enable Verbose Logging in the plugin settings and then PM them to me (don’t put link) here. Thanks.

1 Like

Ah ok mate, I didn’t see the beta ones in plug-in store under ‘details’, so it was installing 1.0.3. I have installed 1.0.2 (beta).

Blockquote This plugin is failing to start, please install latest version or contact the dev…

So I installed the default plugin 1.0.2 (not in the beta) and it installs 0.1.3.

Bit confusing all the betas and stables, not sure why so many different ones…