[PLUGIN] Touch Display

Hello gvolt, thanks for your response

screensaver timeout = 120
no screensaver while playing = off (usually I have it set to ‘on’ but left it off after the reinstall)

config.txt
initramfs volumio.initrd
gpu_mem=32
max_usb_current=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

include userconfig.txt

Volumio i2s setting below: do not alter
dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio

userconfig.txt
display_lcd_rotate=1
display_hdmi_rotate=1
hdmi_blanking=1 ← I added this one in from another thread but didn’t change anything

The files are looking good.

hdmi_blanking=1 can be removed. It should be irrevlevant for DSI displays.

To investigate further please start watching the live log with

journalctl -f | grep touch_display

set the screensaver timeout to another value, e.g. 10 and click “Apply”.

Copy the log output and post it here or send it to me via PM.

Nov 27 09:25:02 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CALLMETHOD: miscellanea touch_display saveScreensaverConf [object Object]
Nov 27 09:25:02 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: touch_display , saveScreensaverConf
Nov 27 09:25:02 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 100 seconds.
Nov 27 09:25:02 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Using Xserver unix domain socket /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
Nov 27 09:25:02 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 100 seconds.
Nov 27 09:25:30 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CALLMETHOD: miscellanea touch_display saveScreensaverConf [object Object]
Nov 27 09:25:30 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: touch_display , saveScreensaverConf
Nov 27 09:25:30 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 10 seconds.
Nov 27 09:27:16 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CALLMETHOD: miscellanea touch_display saveScreensaverConf [object Object]
Nov 27 09:27:16 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: touch_display , saveScreensaverConf
Nov 27 09:27:16 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 15 seconds.
Nov 27 09:27:16 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Using Xserver unix domain socket /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
Nov 27 09:27:16 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 15 seconds.
Nov 27 09:27:38 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CALLMETHOD: miscellanea touch_display saveScreensaverConf [object Object]
Nov 27 09:27:38 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: touch_display , saveScreensaverConf
Nov 27 09:27:38 h-amp-rpi volumio[934]: info: touch_display: Setting screensaver timeout to 10 seconds.

it just kinda sits there after I changed it to 10 seconds, so changed it to 15, then back to 10 a few times, just to see if it was still running - but it’s still on? Thx

Please post the results of

DISPLAY=:0 xset q

before and after the screensaver timeout has expired.

before:
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000000
XKB indicators:
00: Caps Lock: off 01: Num Lock: off 02: Scroll Lock: off
03: Compose: off 04: Kana: off 05: Sleep: off
06: Suspend: off 07: Mute: off 08: Misc: off
09: Mail: off 10: Charging: off 11: Shift Lock: off
12: Group 2: off 13: Mouse Keys: off
auto repeat delay: 660 repeat rate: 25
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 2/1 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 0 cycle: 600
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0x0 WhitePixel: 0xffffff
Font Path:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 60
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is Off

after:
Keyboard Control:
XKB indicators:
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
Pointer Control:
Screen Saver:
Colors:
Font Path:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is Off

and yup, still on - thx

This is not okay. With the screensaver inactive it should read Monitor is On. I have an appointment now and will get back to you later.

Please try the following:

xset -display :0 s reset dpms force on

Before and again after the time has expired, after which the screen saver should be activated run

xset -display :0 q

and post the results.

okay so this is odd…
when I issued the DISPLAY=:0 xset q command previously, I hadn’t touched the screen and it was ‘on’, but I just touched it now and it brightened up. After the screensaver time expiring, it reverted back to the previous state where it was still ‘on’ but just dimmer.

results of after the ‘force on’ is used (which, like touching it, makes it brighter, which I assume is it’s intent)
before:
Keyboard Control:
XKB indicators:
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
Pointer Control:
Screen Saver:
Colors:
Font Path:
DPMS (Energy Star):
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On

after:
Keyboard Control:
XKB indicators:
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
Pointer Control:
Screen Saver:
Colors:
Font Path:
DPMS (Energy Star):
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is Off

thx!

So, the display reacts after the screensaver time has expired by reducing its brightness and also reacts to a subsequent touch event by brightnening up?

If you disable and re-enable the plugin or after a reboot, does this behaviour persist?

SO - interesting…
I uninstalled and reinstalled (because I misread your post) it and while it was in 0 degree rotation orientation, it operated properly and the screen went off…

BUT when I changed the orientation to 90 degrees (as it’s a vertical install) and rebooted, it reverts to the ‘dimmed-off’ state when the screensaver activates.

when I disabled (not uninstalled) and re-enabled it, as well as when I restarted it, the 90 degree ‘dimmed-off’ condition persists

thx

That’s weird. What you could try is upping the GPU memory value to maybe 36MB. You can set this value from the plugin’s config page. I would not really expect this to help, because if GPU memory was too low, you would typically have no image at all. But it’s worth a try.

HI again, upped it to 50mb but still does the ‘dimmed-off’ state thing sadly - sounds like this is an odd one, huh…

(edit) and just to reconfirm, I switched it back to 0 degree rotation and it does indeed go off - will try the other orientations, too

so, results are:
0 degrees - works as normal
90 degrees - ‘dimmed-off’
180 degrees - works as normal
270 degrees - ‘dimmed-off’

at least it’s consistent? Any ideas?

If you mean the display’s controller possibly being faulty - that would be my suspicion, too. Maybe also try reseating the DSI cable. If you should have some spare DSI cable swap out the current one to rule out a cable defect.

changed DSI cables (so I assumed I also reseated it in the process) and no luck, still ‘dimmed-off’ when screensaver timeout is hit.

so… any ideas? Ask WaveShare to fix their shizz :smiley: ?

The following should not be done by user, but for testing purposes you could open /boot/userconfig.txt with

sudo nano /boot/userconfig.txt

and comment out the line

display_hdmi_rotate=1

so it reads

#display_hdmi_rotate=1

This assumes you have set rotation to 90 deg. from the plugin’s config page.

Save the file by hitting Ctrl+x, y and Enter. Then reboot.

Commenting out the specified line should make no difference for this kind of display, but I would be interested if that holds true for this particular display. If the behaviour does not change (which would be the expected outcome) revert /boot/userconfig.txt to its original state.

In case you should have a Pi 3, you could also test if the display behaves better on it.

I wouldn’t dare to predict how effective that would be…

yup, you are correct that it did nothing - ‘dim-off’ state still.

I do have a Pi 3 but it’s currently embedded into my household Volumio music server, so I don’t really want to pull that apart unless I had to.

maybe I’ll send off an email to WaveShare - worse the could do is to NOT reply I guess… not sure if they can do anything or would want to, but they did do a guide on how to work with their (HDMI) screens and Volumio, so they might be interested?

In the mean time, if you do have any other ideas, I’m game to try - worse-come-to-worse, I’d just re-flash it again and copy all my music back to it…

thx for the help so far!

I have the same wave share 4.3 dsi touchscreen and no problem, i am running volumio beta 3 at the moment but with fresh version 2 i had no problem dimming the screen or completely off after a while.
@gvolt we found out recently that there were probably two different versions of it, maybe it has to do with that.

1 Like

@michel8166 Thanks for chiming in and I remember.

Some information about the different PCBs can be found in the link @michel8166 posted and in the following post where the probably older version is shown.

from what I can see, mine is also the same version as michel8166’s - it has the same layout and ‘added stuff’ to the back of the board on his pic in the linked thread.

@michel8166 - the orientation of your screen in your (very nice, btw) project is in the horizontal / 0 degree rotation, which also works on mine too. However, my project has it in the vertical / 90 degree rotation, which does not seem to work.

rendering of my headphone amp project (as mine is currently disassembled again due to this issue)