[PLUGIN] Touch Display

hi @gvolt
i had trouble from touch_display ( to get peppymeter work )

this is the error

â volumio-kiosk.service - Volumio Kiosk
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/volumio-kiosk.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2021-05-27 14:59:29 UTC; 2min 1s ago
Process: 958 ExecStart=/usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /opt/volumiokiosk.sh – -nocursor (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 958 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
May 27 14:59:14 volumio startx[958]: at http://wiki.x.org
May 27 14:59:14 volumio startx[958]: for help.
May 27 14:59:14 volumio startx[958]: (EE) Please also check the log file at “/home/volumio/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log” for additional information.
May 27 14:59:14 volumio startx[958]: (EE)
May 27 14:59:14 volumio startx[958]: (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
May 27 14:59:29 volumio startx[958]: xinit: giving up
May 27 14:59:29 volumio startx[958]: xinit: unable to connect to X server: Cannot assign requested address
May 27 14:59:29 volumio startx[958]: xinit: server error
May 27 14:59:29 volumio systemd[1]: volumio-kiosk.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 27 14:59:29 volumio systemd[1]: volumio-kiosk.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’. Blockquote

Please post the results of

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and
chromium-browser -version

I suspect the download of one of the software packages during the installation process of the Touch Display plugin has failed.

You may try to uninstall and re-install the plugin and precautionary watch the logs while the plugin gets installed with

sudo journalctl -f

If re-installing the plugin should not help please post or PM me the logs.

The logs seems unavailable

I did uninstall and reinstall few time still no luck

FYI im on intel NUC running Volumio 3 buster

Good to know :wink:

Then you are in the wrong thread: This thread is about the Touch Display plugin which is not available for x86 systems (so you can’t re-install it as suggested…).

I suggest to open a new thread. The requested Xorg log you probably will find in “/home/volumio/.local/share/xorg”.

Means i cant get the peppymeter work on x86?

IDK, you may ask in the peppymeter thread.

Hey thanks - I got this running on a monitor, the plugin offers the “Show Mouse Pointer”, but will the mouse only work if connected with USB … or can a Bluetooth mouse be connected? Thanks

Pi4 B 8GB / Volumio 2.882

The setting only affects if the mouse cursor is displayed. It does not depend on how the mouse is connected. If you manage to pair the devices I guess a bluetooth mouse would work with Volumio, but I didn’t try myself.

uhm if he has a unify logitech mouse it works out of the box …
even on 3 screens i just have to switch it over… 2x pi 4 and 1 pc

I found an old Swiftpoint GT which has a tiny USB receiver, no hassles. Works a treat.

Dear Devs! Thank you so much for your effort - I love Volumio!
Here is my problem: I connected a 1024*600, 7 inch Display over HDMI and USB. After adding the following lines in userconfig.txt the Display and touch work well, BUT the screen aspect ratio is not correct. Means: for example the volume control circle in classic mode is an ellipse. This has an effect an text as well (not as sharp as it should be).

config_hdmi_boost=7
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_drive=1
display_rotate=0
hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

Since I had the same problem with the official Raspberry 7inch Display, Im a little confused. Any suggestions?

Please provide the brand and exact model name of the display.

Well, I got it from Amazon (B07YJDSCKR), but there is no specific brand. Since the images on Amazon are not correct, here is one. IMG_4027

But as mentioned: I got the same result when testing with the official Raspberry Pi 7 Inch Display.

Thanks for the picture.

Please post the results of

cat /boot/config.txt

and

cat /boot/userconfig.txt

I kind of solved the problem - the description claims the display to be 16:9, but 1024x600 is 16:10, so I changed the resolution to 1024x576 et voila.

Anyway:
initramfs volumio.initrd
gpu_mem=32
max_usb_current=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

include userconfig.txt

Volumio i2s setting below: do not alter

dtoverlay=i-sabre-q2m

Add your custom config.txt options to this file, which will be preserved during updates

config_hdmi_boost=7
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_cvt=1024 576 60 6 0 0 0

Has the height been set intentionally to 576?

Apart from that try adding

max_framebuffer_width=1024
max_framebuffer_height=1024
framebuffer_width=1024
framebuffer_height=600

to /boot/userconfig.txt above the current lines. I would also set the height value in “hdmi_cvt” (back) to 600 for testing.

Yes, that was intentionally - see post above. I tried your settings and the display works the same as before: ellipse. Only with a genuine 16:9 resolution I can get circles

1 Like

@gvolt this is standing on amazon :

Aspect ratio 16:9

max_usb_current=1
  hdmi_force_hotplug=1
  config_hdmi_boost=7
  hdmi_group=2
  hdmi_mode=87
  hdmi_drive=1
  display_rotate=0
  hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

in his post we missed the max_usb_current=1

Yeah, I overlooked that :innocent:

So, do you consider the issue solved by using the height value of 576?

This value means aspect ratio 15:9. A value of 3 would be 16:9.