[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

what line was that? I’m not sure the volumio plugin works if mpd_oled is running as service, I might be wrong as I can’t remember :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: You might need to copy mpd_oled to the bin folder from it’s binary location using cp mpd_oled /usr/local/bin/mpd_oled

1 Like

i followed the installation method using binary and ive been typing mpd_oled -o for 3hrs instead of using
sudo mpd_oled -o

what am i doing with my life

TLDR
im using these for 3hrs

mpd_oled -o 6 -b 10 -g 1 -f 20

instead of this

sudo mpd_oled_service_edit -o 6 -b 10 -g 1 -f 20

And thanks for your replies sir!

here’s my setup tho

OrangePi One / Zishan Z1 DAC/DAP With ES9023 Dac Chip and AD8066 Custom OpAmp

i also integrated zishan z1 buttons and potentiometer in OrangePi GPIOs

3D Printing a case to make it portable

You shouldn’t need to type anything into the console? Did you install the plugin so you can control mpd_oled from Volumio? That’s the point of my plugin :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice setup! If you don’t want to configure your screen using the plugin then you can just stick to installing mpd_oled as a service. :slight_smile:

yes sir i was so confused about this and here i am now smiling like a child coz its working now haha

HI!
How do I need to set the system time on Volumo?
On OLED, the time is 2 hours away from my time.
Thanks

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Hi supercrab,
I don’t know whether it is appropriate to ask my question here, because I think it is more hardware related, but it also seems that a software tweak in your oled plugin might solve the problem, so I still want to present my problem here and hope that somebody can help me with it! Thanks!

I have installed this OLED plugin with the latest 2.909 and using a SH1106 compatible 1.3" OLED display and it works OK. But my setup is a bit different because I am using the Allo Boss2 dac which also has an OLED display with default address 3C. So I changed the address of this 1.3" display to 3D.
Now when I boot up Volumio, only the Boss2 OLED will light up and to get my second MPD OLED to light up, I have to go into the OLED plugin and either switch it on and off once or go one step further to the settings of the plugin and press the save button once more. Then the second OLED will light up and works properly.

I know that this is a reset issue, but there are only 4 pins on my OLED and no reset pin. I’ve tried adding pull up resistors of 4.7K to both the SCL and SDA pins without avail. I’ve tried adding a 100uf small capacitor to the VCC and GND to stabilize the 5V supply a bit and still no luck. Can somebody help me on this? Thank you.

I’m not sure what’s that issue sorry :worried: You could try running mpd_oled on the command line and see if that works any different?

Tutorial

Hi, i follow this tutorial video but was unable to make it work(my OLED screen) everything work fine except the screen, my screen is 1.30 inch, 3c address shown in the plugin but no image. could any of you help me??
i posted in another thread and was told to post here the output of this command:
volumio@volumio:~$ sudo systemctl status mpd_oled
● mpd_oled.service - MPD OLED Display
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mpd_oled.service; disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

i’m using this i2c OLED screen (Just in case my screen is no good, it works in arduino just fine )

Thanks.

@supercrab any plan of porting your plugin for Volumio3?

I am currently using it, the modified version provided by @balbuze with alsa-pipeline support, it works like a charm!

I’d uninstall the plugin and try the manual method, instructions are here: GitHub - antiprism/mpd_oled: MPD, Volumio, RuneAudio and Moode OLED status and spectrum display for Raspberry Pi (and similar)

1 Like

When Volumio3 is officially released I’ll look into it.

I did try but Balbuze’s version but unfortunately it didn’t work for me. I couldn’t find out why so I had to stop development. :frowning:

Hi Leopoldo

The output of the command you posted says that the mpd_oled service is disabled (!). Try re-enabling it and starting it (I don’t have a copy of Volumio running, but the following commands should work)

sudo systemctl enable mpd_oled
sudo systemctl start mpd_oled

If the screen doesn’t display, please repost the output of the following command again (cat to help with line wrap)

sudo systemctl status mpd_oled | cat

Adrian.

1 Like

Does installing MPD_OLED from binary install the service?

2 Likes

If you’re getting the 3c address then that means that you’re screen is connected properly. It might be that you have to change the screen type. Try running one of these commands, one of them should work for your screen type.

mpd_oled -a 3c -o 3
mpd_oled -a 3c -o 4
mpd_oled -a 3c -o 6

The numbers represent different screen types that you can select in the plugin

1 Adafruit SPI 128x64
  3 Adafruit I2C 128x64
  4 Seeed I2C 128x64
  6 SH1106 I2C 128x64
  7 SH1106 SPI 128x64
1 Like

Hi Mase

The mpd_oled binary package runs the mpd_oled_service_install script as part of installation, and this sets up and enables the mpd_oled service (with a dummy screen id so it fails to run).

Something has happened to disable the mpd_oled sevice.

Regarding the display, it seems to be an SSD1315, and is supposed to be compatible with the Adafruit SSD1306 display (I can see messages from people using it in other projects with an Adafruit SSD1306 driver.) So, mpd_oled -o 3 should be good.

Adrian.

1 Like

Hi, i follow directions and this is the output of sudo systemctl status mpd_oled | cat

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo systemctl status mpd_oled | cat
● mpd_oled.service - MPD OLED Display
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mpd_oled.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-11-23 17:46:08 UTC; 42s ago
Process: 927 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpd_oled -o 0 -b 21 -g 1 -f 15 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 924 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/mpd_oled_launch_test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 927 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 23 17:46:08 volumio systemd[1]: Started MPD OLED Display.
Nov 23 17:46:08 volumio mpd_oled[927]: mpd_oled: error: option -o: invalid 128x64 oled type 0 (see -h)
Nov 23 17:46:08 volumio systemd[1]: mpd_oled.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 23 17:46:08 volumio systemd[1]: Unit mpd_oled.service entered failed state.

i use this

and get:
Failed to write to the i2c bus.

And endless string.

havent do this at the moment

thanks.

Hi Leopoldo

The output of the mpd_oled service status says that you haven’t configured a screen yet

mpd_oled: error: option -o: invalid 128x64 oled type 0 (see -h)

The Failed to write to the i2c bus. message may be permissions issue from not running with sudo (or a conflict because a running copy of mpd_oled is also accessing the bus? Or running with -o 6 instead of -o 3?).

The solution should be to set the screen to Adafruit I2C in the plugin, and possibly reboot when the settings have been saved.

If the screen still doesn’t display after this, please repost the status output to check mpd_oled is running with the right options.

sudo systemctl status mpd_oled | cat

I think the plugin will work for you, but the manual install isn’t difficult if you want to try it.

Adrian.

1 Like