[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

As far as I know it’s just the way i2c communicates with the pi. I’m no expert but I have a board that controls the LEDs on the FM4 which is i2c and connected to the pi, so easy to use. The 1322 screen is SPI so totally different.

Another way is to use 2 smaller screens, 1 for now playing and the other for spectrum analyser. Just an idea.

Funny you should say that - there’s a chap on YouTube that has 2 ssd1322 displays working at the same time, apparently using mpd-oled and volumio. Videos posted 2+ years ago.

Hi guys. I decided to put a screen larger than the installed 1.3 inches (1306 address 0x3c). I bought an OLED 2.42 (1309 address 0x78).

When connecting the 2.42 monitor, the screen is black. I tried 0x78, 0x3c. The screen turned on when a large and small monitor with the address 0x3c were connected in parallel.

On a large monitor, the “!” symbol lights up in the upper left corner. The brightness of a large monitor is about 30% less. Maybe it is necessary to use a voltage of 5 V? I’m afraid to break it.
What thoughts?

Hi @Andron66

The SSD1309 is supposed to be compatible with the SSD1306, but I believe there are previous reports that some SSD1309 screens are blank (like you saw) when used with mpd_oled. I wasn’t able to find these reports, but my memory is that at least one person with this issue got their display working by using the (unsupported) development version of mpd_oled, which includes a specific driver for the SSD1309 - GitHub - antiprism/mpd_oled_dev: mpd_oled development version (unstable)

Cool idea to connect your displays in parallel!

Adrian.

Adrian.
I suspect that the problem is in the logic levels on SCL, SDA. 1309 does not turn on without a connected 1306. 1306 can be connected without power supply.
Looking for a solution to the problem.
The boards have stabilizers at 3.3 volts. You can connect 3.3-5 volts without problems.

The development version of mpd_oled also has different I2C code, so that might be the difference that got the other persons SSD1309 screen working.

Hi!

The MPD Oled plugin dont work for me.
The “Bars” not displayed on the oled screen.
I use Raspberry PI model 3B
Volumio VERSION: 3.449 PREMIUM
Display: SSH1106 1.3" I2C Oled

Please Help.
Thanks!

• How did you install it?
  • If you rotate the Display in the plugin settings, does the text properly scroll, as I see this OLED is defect.

1 Like

Hi!
I install the Oled plugin from Volumio Plugins menu.
The Oled is not defect. This is interferencia with the smartphone camera.

Hi Don_Frenk

If you leave the screen displayed does the time displayed change (in this case from 07:31 to 07:32)?

Adrian.

Hi Adrian
After this screen, nothing changes. This crashed.

Hi Don_Frenk

Thanks. Most likely cava (the mpd_oled_cava process) has crashed.

I don’t know all the details of the plugin setup, but the crash may relate to using a recent version of cava, and the Volumio user that runs mpd_oled (which starts cava) does not have a home directory indicated in a way that cava can determine.

See:

If this is the issue in the plugin, then this might be enough information to fix it (or provide instructions to resolve it).

Otherwise, it is difficult for me to look at anything on Volumio at the moment, but if there is no way forward on this issue then I will try to take a look.

Adrian.

Mybe this help for you Adrian?

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo mpd_oled_volumio_mpd_conf_install
{“time”:1686251504495,“response”:“stop Success”}Warning: Stopping mpd.service, but it can still be activated by:
mpd.socket
rm: cannot remove ‘/tmp/mpd_oled_fifo’: No such file or directory

The missing file message just indicates that there is no previous mpd_oled installation that has created this file (I think the plugin uses a different name for the file).

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a solution to the problem.

I’ve also had problems recently:
in Volumio 3.449 version on RPi 4b, the active mpd_oled 1.1.1 plug-in constantly stutters and interrupts the sound, after disabling the plug-in it works without interruptions.

I went back to Volumio 3.378 with mpd_oled 1.0.18 which I have on a separate sd card and it plays fine.

I could never get the plugin working myself with audio issues on Volumio v3 :disappointed_relieved:

same here, it just works. very occasionally I here a short stuttering for 3 seconds but that’s it. SO hard to debug or narrow down the issue.

Please post a log when this is happening, maybe it will give us some clue.

The solution lies just out of reach of @Adrii and I.

I suspect it’s something to do with how Volumio streams the data to mpd_oled. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about how it works and I don’t know what to look for. 🫣

Hello, maybe someone can help.

I had problems with MPD OLED v.1.1.1 plugin
I am using Raspberry Pi 4B; Volumio 3.449; TOPPING DX3 Pro+ DAC

After installing the plugin in the standard way through the GUI
OLED indication appears, but Spectrum indication is not active in Play mode.
In …/mpd.conf.tmpl section audio_output{type “fifo”… MPD OLED is not added.

The DAC does not play DSD Direct, with the plug-in disabled it does.

mpd_oled_cava says “…libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29’ not found” on startup.
Even after replacing libm, the music stuttered and the processor was loaded up to 70% by mpd.

However, antiprism’s way of installing from sources works correctly!

Good luck

1 Like