[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

@supercrab I didn’t install the plugin, I installed from source (see the link above).
Can the plugin modify what’s on the screen? any settings?
I want to show only the spectrum when playing, I did it in Moode, seems not to be able here.

I think there’s some confusion - this post is about the plugin I wrote and not the mpd_oled project itself. The plugin will download and install mpd_oled and lets you configure it from within Volumio. I did not write mpd_oled itself unfortunatley - I’m not that good :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a look here for more info about my plugin: volumio-plugins/plugins/miscellanea/mpd_oled at master · supercrab/volumio-plugins · GitHub

If you’re having trouble compiling the latest version of mpd_oled then raise an issue here:

All you need to do after you’ve changed the files, is compile and run the service installer. It looks like you’ve done that, but it might be worth trying again.

@supercrab ok thanks

On RPI3A+, volumio 2.873 and Dacberry one+ selected installation runs fine.
The only thing i missed in discribtion is, that i had to click confirm save my selected I2S DAC to see the spectrum analyser working. This was also requested with Adrians original script.

I also did an update to the german translation. Thanks to Josef, there was very little to do.
strings_de.json.txt (6.0 KB)

Thanks again for this nice plugin.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m glad you found the plugin useful. I have updated the German translation file and given you both credit too :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: [NOT RECOMENDED!] Plugin adventures on Buster betas

Hi Supercrab,
Thank you for this plugin, i really love it and use it.
I rebuild an old Dreambox DM7000 to a streamer with the 128x64 display.
Now i am working on a streamer build in a Pioneer DVD 610 player which has only room for a 128x32 display.
Is there a (easy) way to use your plugin for these screens, only showing Artist - Title and progressbar ?
Or will there be an update that include these screens.

Thank you for all the hard work.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m glad you found it useful. MPD_OLED is non customisable and only supports 128x64 screens at the moment. You could always change rewrite parts of MPD_OLED so it displays whatever you want?

Hello Mase,
I noticed that running your script on the Volumio 2.882-2021-04-24 fails to run mpd_oled.
error-mpd-oled
I am guessing some issues with the GCC libraries.

I also tested it with Volumio 2.873-2021-02-19 with the exact same setup.
ok-mpd-oled
I needed to run CAVA install manually adding sudo to the commands and get missing libraries:
sudo apt-get -y install git-core autoconf make libtool libfftw3-dev libasound2-dev
sudo ./autogen.sh
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

PS: on point 2 of the main Readme.md you should add as first todo:
Run “sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata” to set your correct Timezone.

Hi

I’ve updated the readme file about setting the timezome.

CAVA should be installed automatically, it’s all done in the install script. I wonder why that is not working :frowning: I’ll have to upgrade volumio to take a look.

Thanks for your help!

As noted, with Volumio 2.873-2021-02-19 i had to re-run the Cava install script part with SUDO.
System specs:
Raspberry PI 4 B 2GB
HiFiBerry Digi clone board.
1.3 Oled I2C (128x64)

I can not get it to run with Volumio 2.882.

Did a fresh install and this error message:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-10 um 16.08.25
Interestingly this comes with both IC Bus options I get (/bin/i2c-0 and (/bin/i2c-1)

If I scan via your plugin I get the following:

I tried to run i2cdetect -y 1 but I get the answer:
zsh: command not found: i2cdetect

Shouldn’t i2cdetect be part of the package?

Strange.

But anyway really like the idea of the plugin!

As i posted before, i am guessing the 882 version has library issues. We’ll have to wait until Supercrab has made the appropriate changes.
I the meantime use an older version of Volumio 2.

For the command line tool i2cdetect, you need to run it as root, so sudo i2cdetect -y 1 should work perfectly.

For Supercrab : i added a Dutch version of /i18n/strings_nl.json
strings_nl.zip (2.1 KB)

1 Like

Hi Bart, thanks for reminding me about the sudo. I had misread it the first time! I’ve updated the installer script to include sudo on the lines that you suggested, so hopefully it should fix this issue for other people. I’ve also added your translation file too so thanks for that! :smiley:

Nice build by the way :slight_smile:

Hmm, I thought i2ctools was part of volumio, at least it used to be!

Try and install it with sudo apt-get install -y i2c-tools and then try the device scanner. Attach another screenshot please:slight_smile:

I’ve also added a line to install i2c-tools when you install the plugin so hopefully, this should be fixed now!

Thanks!

I was surprised as well but it turns out Bart is correct. I ran

and it worked fine.

Will go back to the older verison as Bart suggested.

Thanks you guys!

i2cdetect is part of the package : i2c-tools and part of the Debian packages.

The I2C device scan you ran from the plugin did work. It said that if found a device at address 3d. You found an error because the message said undefined instead of the bus number. I’ve fixed this just now, so thanks for reporting it. Thanks to Bart this plugin should work fine on the latest version of volumio because I’ve changed the install script :slight_smile:

The install script for my plugin installs it anyway (if it’s not already present) The device scanner works from in the plugin but has a bug where it displayed “undefined” instead of the bus number. I’ve fixed that issue too. Cheers!

1 Like

I will check tomorrow if the script will work on a fresh Volumio 2.882-2021-04-24, as MPD_OLED had issues installing with the updated libraries.
For now i tested Volumio 2.873-2021-02-19, and found it works.

and to show off my build:
Temp. internal connections.

Front View with test display I2C 1.3 inch Blue Oled.

All obsolete connector holes filled with compound and painted it black.

Only waiting on my bigger screen : 2.42 inch White OLED SPI/I2C
oled-242-white