[PLUGIN] miniDLNA

Hi,
I just did successfully the installation of the miniDLNA plugin.

As I cannot find any option to provide Qobuz titles for the miniDLNA-server I kindly ask if this would be supported.

Greetings Waleka

If you have downloaded audio files you would just need to specify the directory where these files are stored as “Audio Files Directory” on the plugin’s config page.

Thank you for your answer.

It means that I have to store the music in the specified directory as precondition for DLNA-service, and it’s not possible to distribute the Qobuz stream directly to the miniDLNA-server and listen to it in another room, using any DLNA-device.

As I never download music from Qobuz, I listen music exclusively by streaming.
So I have to use an additional volumio-device/Qobuz straming for listening music in another room,

Yes, miniDLNA needs the files which should be accessed from a client in defined locations.

Thank you very much

@dvo
how you install this on v3?
one of my rasberries doesnt like v2 for some reason so i moved on v3…

1. Login to Volumio via SSH.

2. Download the miniDLNA plugin .zip file.

wget https://github.com/volumio/volumio-plugins/raw/gh-pages/plugins/volumio/armhf/miscellanea/minidlna/minidlna.zip
  1. Create a directory for unzipping the plugin package
mkdir minidlna
  1. Unzip the plugin package to the newly created directory
miniunzip minidlna.zip -d minidlna
  1. Change into the directory with the unzipped files
cd minidlna
  1. Install the plugin
volumio plugin install
  1. Enable the plugin from Volumio’s plugin managment.
2 Likes

@gvolt
thanks i was looking for these instructions…this version is only for v3 or also v2?

Both.

1 Like

i went to 2x version 3.074 now you could even skin volumio,
sorry for the late response i was watching soccer.
and ended in crying on the couch.

tnx @gvolt for filling up the gab …i just went with filling up my beer.

what do you mean skin volumio? you werent able before?
i ended up updating also one of my rasberries on v3.074 because for some reason only this device is freezing on v2…its crazy i give up.
at least i added everything except spotify i guess when they release the final version is going to be also available.
and miniDLNA works fine.

with the newer 3.074 you can add a skin like option… eazy install instead of the peppy version

thats nice yeah.

i’m creating skins for it and in the next update yt will be fixed too.
so all will look nice.

@gvolt
First of all I’d like to thank you for your work on that plugin.

Said that, let me introduce some problems I put myself in regard to using miniDLNA.
I described my story here: Frustrations with SLOW interface on Raspberry Pi 4B - 15s++ loading times - #5 by uniqueusername

TLDR:
miniDLNA messes with Volumio in a way that makes Volumio’s UI crazy unresponsive. I’ve been dealing with that issue for a couple of months, unable to point to the plugin, as it isn’t squeezing any substantial resources out of the computer I run my Volumio on. There’s also nothing interesting in the logs.
At the end, after disabling miniDLNA Volumio is operating normally and snappy. I made a couple of tests switching the plugin on and off, and I’m sure that it’s its fault. On the other hand I can’t figure out what is going on there, and I’d like to figure this out. I need DLNA server.
PS: First thing that comes to mind is that miniDLNA might be indexing a music database, but I assure you that’s not the case. The problem is persistent regardless of what miniDLNA is doing; when it’s active - Volumio is slow as hell.

I’d like to kindly ask you to inspect my problem, letting us know if it’s an isolated case or maybe we have a bigger problem here.
I’d be happy to provide any data from my system helpful to solve the issue.

Cheers!

I can’t replicate your issue.

Neither on a Pi3 nor on a Pi4 (2GB) based Volumio (2.907) system with a USB HDD holding round about 150 GB of FLAC files and folder.jpg files switching the miniDLNA plugin on or off had an impact on how fast the UI loads. This applies for connecting by LAN (1GBit, WLAN disabled) as well as for using WLAN.

OK, thanks for letting me know.

Let me do one more thing before we’re going to proceed any further. The only thing that differentiates your params from mine is that my FLACs don’t have *.jpg covers - my whole library has embedded graphics. I was planning to change that (strip down the files and export covers into JPGs), since my current model doesn’t work well with Volumio.

Regardless of whether it’s the embedded covers or not that impact miniDLNA, I’ll let you know here soon.
Thank you for being responsive.

Thanks a lot for the plugin!
I would like to now, is there any chance that the plugin can also get Digital Media Controller (DMC) features:
A DMC finds content on digital media servers (DMS) and instruct digital media renderers (DMR, in my case a Pro-Ject Stream Box DS net or Pro-Ject Stream Box S2) to play the content.
This are DLNA Certified Device Classes.

Thank You and KR
Arno

Hi @ArnoG,

the plugin just installs a MiniDLNA (ReadyMedia) server and provides access to the server’s options through the config page. So the plugin is limited to the functionality of MiniDLNA which is not a DMC, but a DMS only. I.e. it is not capable of instructing renderers what content to play.

Hi, thanks for the fast replay, that means the mini DLNA is today not able to work as a DMC…
Anny ideas for a DLNA Server incl DMC functionality ?
Thank You an KR from Vienna

Arno