[PLUGIN] IR Remote Controller feedback thread

I recall having issues with the way current device identification is being done (based on cpuid) especially with the Allwinner H3 based boards…

But with the Buster and above builds, all devices should have an entry in etc/os-release that identifies them. Have a look at the table from volumioOS/recipes/devices – you could technically use this instead of depending on what the API returns…

Thanks a lot for the reference!

In the past I opted for using “self.commandRouter.executeOnPlugin(‘system_controller’, ‘system’, ‘getConfigParam’, ‘device’)” considering it to be on a higher level of abstraction and to be dedicated for exactly the purpose of querying the device type. :wink:

But as of now looking at “/etc/os-release” appears to be more reliable and will surely help. Nevertheless, I would no longer set the Raspberry Pi value by default for devices where it is not known which module must be used.

That would indeed be the correct way – but that API needs some love…
It’s parsing /proc/cpuinfo which isn’t the most robust.
I initially proposed using /proc/device-tree/model instead in Volumio2/issues/1757. Perhaps once Buster is released, getConfigParam can be refactored to use VOLUMIO_HARDWARE which is completely under our control and set at build time.

For now I plan to use the value of property “hardware” delivered by “getSystemVersion” which resorts to /etc/os-release.

Does JustBoom work on Volumio. I tried looking for the remote but all sold out, or i’m assume. JustBoom website is sold out. But I think i found one on Arrow.com https://www.arrow.com/en/products/jbm-016/pi-supply

I have no experience of my own with that remote control, but according to the OP the JBM-16 should work.

First, I have my Volumio player setup on a SmartiPi. But, of all of the usb remotes out there, looks like there be a remote out there to work.

Your issue should be solved by the new version 1.4.3 of the plugin. Modifying the plugin’s code shouldn’t be necessary for the Odroid-N2 now.

So, now that i started working on my Raspberry Pi again trying to get a remote to work. i got Apple remote A1156/ Apple remote A1294 ). from the list of remotes from the plugins on Volumio and non of them works.

i just now updated to version 2.909 and i tried using flirc with a remote like the blackweb remote https://www.amazon.com/Blackweb-BWB17AV002-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B077J9HDQY/ref=sr_1_1_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=blackweb+remote&qid=1632629105&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-1 and the flirc wouldn’t work that good.

So with the Justboom IR remote do i need a JustBoom card for the remote to work

Coincidentally yesterday also a Raspberry pi 4 equipped with an infrared module. It works fine for me with an Apple remote. I’m using the alternative Apple remote on gpio 25.

I use this infrared receiver.
pay attention! the pin numbers are different than normal with this one.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/electronic-components/infrared-ir-tsop32338-receiver-38khz-directivity-45-p-10821.html
Schermafbeelding 2021-09-25 om 20.26.09
Schermafbeelding 2021-09-25 om 20.26.20

and this setting.
pay attention! I found out that some gpio pins don’t work on a pi 4, so just try different pin numbers for data/out and don’t forget to reboot first after an adjustment.
Schermafbeelding 2021-09-26 om 12.29.55

1 Like

You don’t need a JustBoom card but just an IR receiver and connect it as shown here. You might need to choose another GPIO than GPIO18, if this GPIO should already be occupied by other hardware (e.g. some DACs use GPIO18).

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 and i have bought some V1838B sensors will that work

I guess so.

What wires are folks using to connect the IR to the PI?

I just tried to use my JustBoom remote on Volumio.
I did a fresh re-install of Volumio and replaced it back on the Raspberry Pi 4.

Here the thing, after re-installng Volumio on the SmartiPi Touch screen, I went on and updated the player. After updating, I went over to the Plugins and install the IR controller plugin. Once the plugin install i went to settings and selected (JustBoom Ir remote and saved it and did a restart on the player. So, once the player started up I try the JustBoom remote and nothing happen at all

Do i need to install a sensor

Yes, of course. :wink:

Holding the Hifiberry card in my hand, i noticed the three holes for a ir sensor L-Ground-R
After installing the ir plugin choosing JustBoom remote and save. i guest that was my big problem knowing that the remote has to have a sensor in order for it to work Volumio player

In case you are referring to a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro: No! L-GND-R (“Left”-“Ground”-“Right”) is an analog speaker output! Don’t use these holes for connecting the IR receiver.

Have a look at my earlier post and follow the link for an example of how to connect an IR receiver (sensor) to a Pi.

over looking at the photo above, showing the (GPIO config) in volumio do I just set the GPIO pin to 25 inorder to connect the IR sensor to the GPIO 25 pin.

Yes. GPIO 25 (i.e. physical pin 22 of the header) should work. If you use a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, GPIO 25 would at least not be occupied by the DAC.