[PLUGIN] IR Remote Controller feedback thread

for example use a program like filezilla, log in and place the infrared file in home/volumio.

open terminal and ssh in your volumio player and type “cd /home/volumio/ir_controller” return, type “volumio plugin install” and the installation will begin.

when the installation is finished hold down “CTRL” and then c.

if everything went well you can use plugin.

:slight_smile: How to download from Github :slight_smile:
Uploading to RPI and installing is not a problem :slight_smile:

@loup I assume you are running Volumio 3. The plugins sources for Volumio 3 you find here. For plugins which have not been approved you may get the files from a pull request.

Other than for Volumio 2 for Volumio 3 there are no publicly downloadable .zip files for each plugin AFAIK. So you would have to download each file manually - or you download the whole repository: If you don’t clone via git you can click on the green button named “Code” and choose “Download ZIP”. I think pull requests are not included in this download so in case of the “volumio-plugins-sources” repo you will receive only the content of the master branch.

P.S.: https://www.wikihow.com/Download-a-File-from-GitHub

That’s what I meant! Thank you! :slight_smile:

How to enable this plugin on Volumio…I am not able to see the IR Remote Configuration on Volumio. Please advise

1 Like

Just making life easier, so you don’t have to clone/download the whole repo…
ir_controller_3.4.7.zip (232.2 KB)

PS: Untested, unapproved and all the usual disclaimers of not installing it via the recommended official myVolumio store.

EDIT: of wow! The PR from November is still pending?!
@gvolt did you get any feedback as to why it’s taking so long? The repo seems to have other plugins that have been updated in the meantime?

2 Likes

I’m waiting for this plugin nearly as much as for the summer :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

No… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

thanks, this makes life a lot easier :grinning:

1 Like

Is there any more testing that needs doing on the IR controller plugin to help it get officially reinstated ? If so I’m happy to manually install it and provide feedback/testing.

Or is everything up to date as far as you know but just needs checking and authorising by the Volumio devs ? I have a small dog in this hunt because apart from previously using it all the time in Volumio version 2 I provided the Xbox 360 IR remote profile. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No idea, sorry! The core devs call the shots with the new myVolumio plugin store - you will have to reach out to Volumio or Mervinio

I think the few pending issues are likely related to the prompt command line in volumio backend , rather then the IR Remote Controller plugin itself.
See here for reference :

This sounds like a bug that @ashthespy helped me with a while back.

I don’t know if it’s still present in Volumio 3 (since I’m not using the IR plugin yet) but there was a bug in Volumio 2 where the command line play controls would “stop responding” if you issued too many in a row.

For example if you used skip track repeatedly on the IR remote a couple of times a second then after a few seconds it would sometimes stop responding to the remote - however the bug was not in the IR plugin, but the command line playback controls itself which the IR plugin calls, as I could reproduce the problem by executing the same command via the command line rapidly.

When it happened the command line would hang indefinitely without returning, this would cause the IR plugin to stop working as a result.

Sometimes it would time out after a few minutes and start working again, sometimes it needed a reboot… frustrating if you’re just trying to rapidly skip past a few tracks with the remote then the remote stops working.

I remember reporting this last year but I can’t find which thread I mentioned it in.

This is (probably) a limitation of the REST client of Volumio.
I had similar issues when I was trying to send volume events via the rest client for the Spotify connect daemon. It was quite flaky, when sending grouped multiple events. Guess it’s similar story for the next | prev commands.

Could someone clarify what the status is of this plugin?

I’m running v3.198 on a Pi Zero with a JustBoom DAC hat, and would like to use it with the IR remote that I have with the board. Used to work perfectly under v2, but if I look in the plugin store I don’t see this one listed?

Looking in the github repo (here) it looks like it should be available in the store, but it’s not one of the ones listed if I go in there via the web dashboard?

Is it not available on a Pi Zero for some reason now or has something gone wrong?

Edited to add - installed it via the alternative (manual) route, and now fully up and running after a shutdown/restart (reboot only seemed to give an ALSA error and silent playback).

Just installed de ir_controller as mentioned above. Worked like a charm on three raspberry’s.

Thanks for the tip!

Ad.

manual install method listed above worked fine for me. I got tired of waiting for the plugin to show up in the approved list.

1 Like

Same here :blush: works like a charm

Hi,

I love this pluggin, but I been trying to install this plugin in volumio 3 and i’m getting some errors; Tried via WebUI and SSH, same result:

Downloading plugin at https://plugins.volumio.workers.dev/pluginsv2/downloadLatest/ir_controller/volumio/buster/armhf
END DOWNLOAD: https://plugins.volumio.workers.dev/pluginsv2/downloadLatest/ir_controller/volumio/buster/armhf
Creando ubicación de instalación
Desempaquetado del complemento
Checking that the plugin is suitable for this version of Volumio The plugin can be used with this version of Volumio
Comprobando complemento duplicado
Copiando el complemento a la ubicación
Instalación de las utilidades necesarias
Installing LIRC
Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Hit:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Hit:3 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_14.x buster InRelease
Reading package lists...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following additional packages will be installed:
gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0
gir1.2-vte-2.91 libftdi1-2 liblirc-client0 liblirc0 libusb-0.1-4
libvte-2.91-0 libvte-2.91-common libyaml-0-2 python3-yaml
Suggested packages:
lirc-compat-remotes lirc-drv-irman lirc-doc lirc-x setserial ir-keytable
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0
gir1.2-vte-2.91 libftdi1-2 liblirc-client0 liblirc0 libusb-0.1-4
libvte-2.91-0 libvte-2.91-common libyaml-0-2 lirc python3-yaml
0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/2987 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6958 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package gir1.2-atk-1.0:armhf.
(Reading database ... (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
files list file for package 'makedev' is missing final newline
Installation of lirc failed
Plugin failed to install!
Cleaning up...
Removing dependencies
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Package 'lirc' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
Removing folder for custom LIRC configurations
Done
Removing plugin directory /data/plugins/system_hardware/ir_controller
Se produjo un error al instalar el complemento Error

How can i solve this? Thanks in advance!