Playback stops after some tracks with thrid party software

Thanks for the hint! If this verrsion solves the duplicate advertisement of UPNP that would be great… Yes, it’s now on our todo list for one next beta

2 Likes

The two instances of UPNP seems to have been introduced around release 1.5.0 of upmpdcli

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am willing to help because, as I said, Volumio has all features I would like to use :slight_smile:
As soon as they can be used of course.

I will put back in the SD card with Volumio 3.x latest and will provide logs.

As for third party : I am of course not saying you should support them.
Not only is it not a priority, but it is not even your job to do that.

As I am no developer, I will make a wild guess.
I assume those third party softwares will only work with stuff complying to some standards.
You may decide not to stick to those standards and you can not be blamed for that. That is a decision that is entirely up to you…
But then again, maybe it would be a good move to say “We will not support DLNA/UPNP rendering”. So Volumio could only be driven by Volumio software.
After all, some other are doing it : i.e. Bluesound.
Problem solved…

Because, of course, tracks playing works if I use the Volumio app.
But I would like not to use it because of the aformentioned “restrictions”.
This is the reason why I returned an All-in-One player : it worked with the proprietary software of the developer, which had about the same limitations (subjective statement, people may find your software good enough… hell, some reviews even say Bluesound software is about the best they ever used !!!) the Volumio apps have.

Anyways, back to the subject : I will try to provide logs today (if pain leaves me alone long enough to figure out how to retrieve logs).

Regards.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, that is probably why some third party apps do see only one instance of Volumio.
I.e. : Symfonium. The developer clearly stated that he will not support Open Home renderers.
So Open Home compliant renderers are simply not displayed.
The opposite happens with BubbleUPNP which one of the third party apps supporting both UPnP and OpenHome. So it sees both.

I think a quick way to solve the problem would be a toggle in “System” settings :

• enable DLNA/UPnP : On/Off
    ’ enable OpenHome renderer : On/Off

But of course, that may sound easy, but difficult to do in real life :frowning:

1 Like

Ah, thanks a lot.

I was looking for this.

This will save time for me :slight_smile: I’ll send logs this afternoon.

BUT : I am not really sure that those logs will be helpful. Because the problem will probably be on the side of the “remote” app, not the player. But again… Wild guess :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

As a follow-up I really think it is pointless to send a log because the problem will not appear on the Volumio log, but on the remote app log.

So I will say following : it seems that at some point, Volumio started to use two rendrering protocols : UPnP/DLNA and the more confidential Open Home. It looks like priority has been set to Open Home. But that is not without glitches.

Here is the thing.

If I choose “VolumioUPnP/AV” as a renderer, playback will stop after 2/3 tracks. I will have cover art displayed by third party app. But incorrect response for elapsed time.

If I choose “Volumio” (so the Open Home renderer), playback will go to the end and even gapless. But the third party app will not show any cover art ( I can use Bubble UPNP or Linn Kazzo or Lumin… same result). . And the elapsed time on the Volumio page on computer will display false information.

I do not think that those will be displayed in the log… Just a wild guess.

Maybe Wolfman’s suggestion to update the upmpdcli would help solve those problems ?

For the time being, I’ll switch back to another app that works better. Will check here on a regular basis to see if things are improving.

Volumio team : if you need beta testers I am ready to cooperate to try to track down problems and report them. If you need a nice build server, you can use my computer with ssh, it’s rather powerful…

1 Like

Hi again,

Sorry for all these posts but I am trying to help to narrow down the problem.

One thing I noticed as major difference between the use of third party apps and the Volumio for Android app is following.

In the following example, I will of course take files from the same source and using the same album and stuff. The only thing changing is the remote app sending files to Volumio.

If I want to play an entire album by using one of the following third party apps (BubbleUPnP, Lumin, Linn Kazoo that are Open Home compatible) and look at the volumio/dev webpage, I can see that this playback DOES NOT fill the playlist. So I assume each track is sent after each other as soon as one ends the following is sent.

If I ask to play the exact same album form the exact same source, using the Volumio app, then this time the playlist on the Voluio/dev webpage is populated with the entire list of tracks from the album.

So the Volumio app works but not flawlessly. If the Android app report the correct elapsed time, the Volumio webpage on computer that also shows what is played by the pi4 does not report the correct elapsed time.
But FOR ME it is difficult to use because of the previously given “limitations” about how it works and displays things…

As a wild guess, I assume that switching to Open Home has been made with some “proprietary” system, that maybe induce problems with third party apps. If so, making Volumio invisible to third party apps would be a good start to avoid (like it did for me) so disappointment.

1 Like

Thanks for your genuine effort to help. But trust us: we need logs, as we can see what happens in the background.

Some of the info you provide are really useful in any case.
But first we need to start by knowing your sw version and looking at the logs, otherwise it’s just speculation.

Hi,

OK; I’ll reinsert the SD card with Volumio then.

FIRST LOG :
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/iugnYd3.html

SECOND LOG : same as first log, but Volumio driven by another remote app (BubbleUPnP).
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/QXF2bj4.html

Regards.

I see you have FusionDSP enabled.

Can you try to

• Disable it
  • Restart

Try the playback

Reason: Fusion sometimes stops with remote URL

Let us know

1 Like

Hi,

Will do it right now as I am feeling a little better.

LOG 3 : same configuration as log 2 but with DSP Fusion turned off (at the end of the day I won’t be able to listen to this album any time soon :slight_smile: )
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/DBOPlLd.html

Still failing to go to track 3 even with Fusion DSP turned off. Will now disable it…

LOG 4 : Fusion DSP totally disabled. Still, not making it to track 3.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/xEFEsWu.html

Will try another Live album… maybe it is the way that album is tagged/encoded ? I’ll take the “Springsteen on Broadway” this time. Let’s see if that one makes it to track 3 :slight_smile:

LOG 5 : same as log 4 but with another album.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/p2aIJeR.html

Same behavior : it stops after track 2.

I will now make the same album (Live after death by Iron Maiden) but to Volumio (so Open Home renderer). That will be log 6 :slight_smile: Unsurprisingly, this goes to track 3 and 4 with no problems… Here is the log :

LOG 6 : Volumio driven by Buble UPnP but as Open Home renderer. Plays flawlessly. But inconsistent reports from Bubble UPnP. So have to run Volumio app to know what’s playing :slight_smile:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/eCFEFjh.html

Hope this will all help finding a solution.

As I said I also use another software (at this point I can name it : it is moOde) and that plays flawlessly as UPnP renderer and all third party apps report elapsed time and cover art without problems when I use that one…
I would like Volumio to do the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the time and care you put into Thai report.
We now have plenty of data to work with, it’s in our backlog now.

Thanks

@volumio So it doesn’t get missed in the flow of information in the thread, here is again the information about why there is two UPNP instances (as found in the changelog for upmpdcli at Upmpdcli and associated libraries release notes)

1 Like

Hi,

If that helps getting volumio to work as it should I’m glad I could help.
And I think that Wolfman74 input should be given a look.
Maybe updating upmpdcli to latest release and adding an option to select if you want the renderer to be open home or UPNP would be a nice option.

I know that you can do that with BubbleUPnP Server : make a renderer Open Home or UPnP.
Maybe adding that option in Volumio may be something to consider.

What do you think Wolfman ?

Seems it can looking at the upmpdcli.conf.tmpl

## UPMPDCLI
iconpath = /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upnpicon.png
#upnpav = 0
openhome = 1
cachedir = /tmp/upmpdclicache
presentationhtml=/tmp/presentation.html
loglevel = -1
checkcontentformat = 0

Hi,

I think that can enable/disable Open Home and/or UPNP.

But will disabling one of those solve the problems ? That is what remains to be seen…

Anyways, I sincerely hope that Volumio will come with a fix really soon :slight_smile: so I can switch back to Volumo again :slight_smile:

Hi,

As a quick message, I updated to latest Volumio 3…4.435.
Unfortunately, that does not help so far :frowning:

Would you need logs from 3.4.435 ?

Regards.

No, thanks Penguin.

This issue is on our backlog now, will be looked after but we don’t have an ETA yet on it

Our current high priority items are fixing Spotify Connect, Improving User Interface navigation and Amazon Music HD.

Hi,
OK. Thanks for letting me know.
I’ll check back from time to time to see if there’s an update :slight_smile:
Hope it won’t take too long :stuck_out_tongue:
Good luck in your efforts to fix it.