Play complete CD

As a relative new and enthusiastic user of volumio I just tried a normal CD players feature. Click on the CD and play. Did not find this functionality. For a quite regular classic music listener this is a mandatory requirement.

Volumio could make me really happy if this feature could be available.

Thx and Regards
Nikon-man

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean that you’ve connected a CD player to your device and want Volumio to be able to use it to play music?

If so, I would certainly plus-one this suggestion. I’ve been looking into a cheap CD player for all my old albums, but hooking a USB-CD player up to my RPi3 would certainly make it really simple and cost-effective.

ÜI ripped classic CDs on my NAS and simply want to play all pieces of the concerto in one sequence

So what is the issue, exactly? The first thing I tried was the gapless playback of an album, which worked perfectly. What happens when you try to play the album? Have you tagged and named the files correctly so that Volumio knows it’s a complete album?

The album is stored as a complete album. Where do you find the option for gapless play of the album? Makes me feel quite stupid. Did not find the option on my volumio

The fact that you found the option makes me feel optimistic again. I am searching now through all of the options. May the ripping software play any role?

The fact that you found the option makes me feel optimistic again. I am searching now through all of the options. May the ripping software play any role?

Ok, so, it works like this:

“Gapless playback” is a codec feature that is enable on LAME MP3 files since many years back, and most other modern codecs (like at least AAC and ALAC). It has to be written as tags to the files at the time of encoding them. On playback, it’s up to the player and decoding process to read those gapless tags and present the audio accordingly. There’s no option to enable, it either works or it doesn’t. Volumio, using MPD and modern, standard codecs, supports gapless playback out of the box.

However, if you rip your own CDs, you need to make sure you do it with the gapless option enabled (if one exists) and with a codec that supports it. When the files are ripped, you need to populate them with metadata, like ID3 tags, so that any player knows which track is the first, second, and so on. It also needs to match the album name and artist/album artist/composer tags, so they play together.

Volumio has all it needs to play a full album back-to-back gaplessly, as do many modern audio players, but you have to make sure your files are prepared that way.

I think, either your files are wrong somehow, or don’t contain the gapless data necessary for the player to know when to end and begin the next track, or you’ve found some bug. Either way, I think this subforum is the wrong place, since what you’re asking for is already supported.

Understood!
Thank you very much. Checking the rip options.
Your support was very much appreciated!