PI4B/2GB (Rev. 1.5) and Qudelix 5k Problems

Hello,

I just bought and setup a new PI4B/2G (Rev. 1.5) with the latest Volumio Version v3.198. Problem: my Qudelix 5k USB Dongle/Headphone Amp produces a lot of noise. Sometimes it works flawless at the beginning of a song, but the noise gets more and more when running for a longer time.

• Problems exist with USB3 as well as USB2 ports of the PI4
  • The Qudelix (96kHz/24Bit Dac) works flawless with my older PI2 (Volumio v3.179) and connected to PC
  • I connected an old Terratec AureonDualUSB Soundcard/Headphone Donge (also 96kHz/24Bit edit: only 48/16 as I found out) to the PI4 - also works without any problem, so it seems it is nothing wrong with the USB ports of the PI4
  • Connecting via SSH and starting htop shows no excessive load when using the Qudelix

Any idea how to identify/solve the problem?

Greetings,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
sorry to hear that. This version has a newer kernel, that is the only thing that can impact your experience.
Would you mind:

Tell also what kind of files \ service you are playing and if it happens with everything or just some occasions.

Thanks for your support.

Here is the logfile

Happens with Qobuz streaming as well as with FLAC files from my NAS (didn´t test other file types yet).
Still not sure if it a Qudelix, PI4-USB or Volumio Problem.

Just did a testinstall of piCorePlayer to see if it´s a Volumio problem or not. Unfortunately (for me of course, good news for Volumio) I discovered the same noise there. So looks like I have a pi with faulty or at least bad USB ports (problem exists for both, USB3 and USB2 ports).

Interestingly the USB works with an other external soundcard (Terratec) without any problems. Also the Qudelix works perfect conneted to my PI2, PI3 and PC and laptop.

Is it possible that it is related to the Revision 1.5 kernel?

If I don´t get USB fixed I will probably switch PIs and use the PI4 with an IQAudio HAT in another room. Have to find a fitting case first, looks like they are not available. So I need to spend money and time again.

An other option would be to return it to the seller, but it´s hard to find other new PIs at the moment as most of you know.

Little bit disapointed about the PI4…

This is the most probable thing. This is why we are considering to revert to a previous kernel, as we don’t know how many USB devices are affected.

If you need me to test something let me know! I have a spare SD card here…

Maybe you can try to load the official raspbian image, with one of the embedded players. And see if the USB noise is still there. If it is, then the pi is most likely to blame.

maybe I try over the weekend…as I don´t have a micro-hdmi cable to attach a monitor it will probably involve some more time than installing a dedicated multimedia os from an image…but I try to find the time…

We are doing a build exacly for this. 30 minutes and it will be ready.
I kindly ask you to test it and report back. Will update you soon

1 Like

Perfect!

not that more difficult, you can even do it headless. If needed I can PM you a topic that I created for a different player/server to install raspbian headless. you can then use VNC viewer for the desktop.

Sure! I know the basic steps, but I would have to google a lot of details I guess (alsa and player setup etc.)…

Please test this image:

https://updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/3.209/Volumio-3.209-2022-01-28-pi.zip

Kindly report to us:

1. Does this boot on PI4 1.5?
  2. Do you have noise on the qdelix 5k with this image on PI 1.5?

Thanks!

I can confirm its booting…now basic setup and testing the qudelix!

Unfortunately the problem with the Qudelix persists :frowning:

Too bad I don´t have another Hi-Res USB DAC here to test…

Can you test this image on a previous PI version and report if it works with the Qudelix?

Seems then its an issue of the firmware (which is a bad news, since its closed source)

yes, i will…currently installing raspbian as suggested by wheaten on the spare sd…afterwards I will try on my PI 2 or 3. Probably tomorrow…

Will also ask at the Qudelix forum, maybe someone else can test too…

1 Like

OK, did a test on the latest Raspberry PI OS (I guess what was called raspbian before). @Wheaten gave me a link, but that was too much effort…I just installed the OS, did update, full-upgrad and rpi-update (also rpi-eeprom-update, but that was already actual), but a 192/24 flac file on the sd, set Alsa to use the Qudelix and played the file using a command line player (moc)…same problem with noise…so no good news here…

gonna try Volumio 3.209 on the PI3 now (or tomorrow)

sudo apt update
$ sudo apt full-upgrade
$ sudo rpi-update

To exclude your DAC, try also to connect it to a pc and play a file. and see if the noise is still there.

• We have excluded the software
  • Next exclude the DAC

If the PC generates the same noise, then it might be an issue with the DAC, if it sounds OK than the issue is with rPi.

Hi Wheaten, thats something I already did. No problems with PC and Laptop (both running Archlinux) and the Qudelix.

I suspect the PI as well.

Also tryed a bunch of different power units (also some that work flawless with the PI2 and 3), does not change anything…