Pi Zero W unresponsive

@MattG also please cat /etc/os-release :slight_smile:

EDIT: This might be the cause for swap issues?

512 MB or less RAM Detected, need to enable swap
Enabling Swap
swapon: /data/swapfile: swapon failed: Invalid argument
Setting swappiness to 40
vm.swappiness = 40

-bash: /proc/swaps: Permission denied

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem: 475268 432292 42976 4868 49076 155916
-/+ buffers/cache: 227300 247968
Swap: 0 0 0

PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums
BUG_REPORT_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs
VOLUMIO_BUILD_VERSION=“74e4cc9de715c64d553d35948d017f973a622b6d”
VOLUMIO_FE_VERSION=“2be6c28eb9de74ec1f9662ca333f7bd51a232c33”
VOLUMIO_BE_VERSION=“259a7f2894e1376413ffac331be84e0e9a6173dd”
VOLUMIO_ARCH=“arm”
VOLUMIO_VARIANT=“volumio”
VOLUMIO_TEST=“FALSE”
VOLUMIO_BUILD_DATE=“Thu Sep 24 22:42:43 CEST 2020”

VOLUMIO_VERSION=“2.834”
VOLUMIO_HARDWARE=“pi”
VOLUMIO_HASH=“e41ef0f29aa50c1af109d3064a380c69”

good catch @ashthespy!
Will try to look into it

In the name of science I started with a clean install of Volumio with no plugins. First of all the 2.834 version didn’t work at all, so I installed 2.729 and then upgraded within the software (worked).

Same behavior - no swap file and “swapon failed” when I ran the sudo /bin/dynswap.sh

@MattG Issue is being investigated (see Github link @ashthespy provided) , and it’s still unclear since which version, swap setup started to fail, nor when a definitive fix is available in later versions.

So far, I’ve a (simple) workaround (change /data/ into /imgpart/ within /bin/dynswap.sh), but it may compromise future updates…
You may track that Github issue to monitor when definitive change is eventually implemented.

@MattG swap fix is implemented: it should show-up in next release post 2.852

Will be interesting to know if it alleviates big database indexing problems.

2 Likes

Put me in my place if you feel like I am hijacking but:
I found this topic trying to explore the reasons for my suddenly incredibly slow Volumio (RPi2). I have loads of other things installed on top of Volumio (shame on me, I know), because I test that particular RPi as 433 sniffer as well. Everything worked fine (for days when all this was installed) up to a point today when I found out that mpd failed. I got same error like mentioned here: mpd broken in Volumio 2.5.26 so I went on with building libbcm_host.so as suggested. While tinkering with that, I realised that RPi is getting really sluggish. Wanted to check RAM but could not get to RPimonitor anymore. Several reboots later I found out that I have no swap enabled. First I tried to edit dynswap.sh, replace /data/ with /imgpart/. Reboot, no change. Then I updated to the latest volumio version (2.852), nada. I Checked github and manually edited dynswap.sh (which looked exactly the same as before update) to mirror the last version (/data/ replaced with /swap/ and so on). Another reboot, no luck.
I tried manually run sudo dynswap.sh but it seems not to do anything at all.
Any thoughts?

@Aaron, sorry but totally different issue : focus here is on PiZero; please open a different thread.
BTW, RPi2 will not activate swap anyway, as it has more than 512K RAM.

Yes Sir!
Anyway, probably have my answer already, thanks!

@MattG @jarweb has v2.861 fixed your issues (no swap and eventually responsiveness in large db indexing)?

Installed just now. I’m seeing swap being used. I’ll let you know if I see any issues. Screenshot (about 15 minute after installing and rebooting):