Pi Touchscreen Plug in no longer works on Volumio 3

The touchscreen is giving this read out from my PC:

Further to this, there is no on screen keyboard plugin anymore, so the player cannot be searched locally…

This is a community forum, for support specifically with myVolumio, email techsupport at volumio dot org!

I´ve got the same problem.
In this state Volumio3 is not usable for me.
Sorry.

1 Like

@gvolt can you help with this?

Go to details - uninstall your version and try the different versions until you find one that works?

However the onscreen keyboard problem is still there…

1 Like

Touch Display 3.3.1 works on Volumio 3.165. I just installed a fresh Volumio and successfully installed the plugin.

@ianpaulstone I suspect you had a download error during the installation process of the plugin. When the plugin installs it has to download a lot of additional software packages in the background. From time to time a download fails and you get such error messages.

I suggest to uninstall the plugin and try to re-install.

In the past (Volumio 2) it was also necessary to wait several minutes after the first boot of a new Volumio installation so the data partition could fully expand. I don’t know if this is still valid for Volumio 3, but I guess so. On a system where the data partition had not been expended there is typically not enough space for all the software the Touch Display plugin needs.

1 Like

thank you, i have it working now… but still no on screen keyboard!

1 Like

I am the author of the Virtual Keyboard plugin. Unfortunately it cannot be ported easily. Up to now I did not find a way to make the method it uses to display a keyboard on the screen work with the current chromium browser… and I am afraid it will not be possible.

Maybe there will be another solution in the future, but it is nothing I would be able to do within the next days or even weeks. Time is sparse and I do it as a hobby only :wink:

1 Like

A reinstall helped.
Thanks a lot :+1:

Will become a challenge…

Ahhh the need for constant revolution eh? no wonder people complain about the good old days… of version 2! :slight_smile:

@Wheaten @ianpaulstone I need an onscreen keyboard on one of my Volumio Pis, too. For that reason this will (have to) stay on Volumio 2 for now. ATM I don’t think this is a bad thing, because it works stably and reliably. But as time allows I certainly will look for a way to get a virtual keyboard for Volumio 3, too.

I appreciate that!
Virtual keyboard for volumio3 would be great!

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Eduardo

Any news on this people? Thanks!

Would still be very helpful.
I just tested the " Virtual Keyboard" extension from xontab.com on my PC (Windows 10 / Chrome 102) - this works in regular input fields but not in the address field. On some websites, it displays the keyboard but ‘Enter’ does not start a search.
Assuming that the underlying technology is the same, there should be a way to make it work.