Painfully slow track changes

When I change tracks it takes approximately 13 seconds for the new song to start playing. It should be virtually instantaneous. Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this issue? Below are the facts surrounding my situation:

Music is stored on an HDD in a computer running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials 64-bit Operating System (Server)
The Server runs an Intel Core i5-2405S @ 2.5GHz processor with 8GB RAM
Music is primarily FLAC format files ranging from 16/44.1 to 24/192
JRiver Media Center 22 is running on the Server
The Server is connected to a Linksys WRT1900ACS wireless router
A Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with HiFiBerry Digi+ card is connected to the Server in another room via 802.11N wireless LAN
The RasPi3 is running Volumio 2.041
The Digi+ card is connected to an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC via a 24" long optical cable and the DAC is connected to a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 6S powered monitor speakers via balanced XLR cables

I can play songs in my music library (i) wirelessly from a Nexus (Google Android) tablet running the JRemote app or (ii) via Remote Desktop (wired Ethernet connection) onto the Server to play tracks via JRMC. Either way I get the same result, when I am listening to a song and I select a new song it takes roughly 13 seconds before the new song starts to play. This is terribly annoying and something I have never experienced over the past 5 plus years using similar configurations but all hardwired without the RasPi/Volumio link. Something of interest to note is when I am listening to a playlist of multiple songs there is no gap or latency between the playback of songs. There was a time when I was running Volumio 1.5 and latency was not an issue but I can’t figure out what changed. I noticed there is no impact to the latency between songs with higher or lower resolution music. I have made countless playback option changes in Volumio and nothing seems to affect the latency issue. Any suggestions on how to fix the latency or even troubleshoot it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your any thoughts you can share.