OLED spectrum display on Volumio on Raspberry Pi Zero W

Hello!

I’m stuck …
I have been trying to install this plugin for a few days.
Raspberry pi 0 w with OLED 0.96 4 pins ( VCC GND SDA SCL ) (image)

The connection is ok, i found the display in i2c detect.

The problem is that if I do a clean volumio install and then follow the github instructions, when I run the final testing comand sudo ./mpd_oled -o 6 -b 10 -g 1 -f 20 nothing happens, the terminal / putty freezes.
The only way that i managed to install this plugin is after installation official nanosound plugin form volumio plugins, activating OLED display (the oled turns on). After that I uninstalled the nano plugin then followed your instructions and the plugin worked except visualizaer cava. Anyway this way the display is very laggy and disrupted/intrerupted and everything seems to be buggy.

So by logical deduction the installation of the nano plugin comes with a component or setting that I miss when I do a clean installation.

I really don’t know what to do. Maybe I miss something? Summary - balena etcher the volumio img -> start volumio by setting up wifi -> following the instructions for mpd_oled -> running the testing command -> nothing happens.

Pretty please, some suggestions? Help!

Hi catalinescu1

Thanks for the detailed report. Maybe something has changed in Volumio and this is the same issue that L_PI has. I’ll check the mpd_oled installalation on a fresh copy of Volumio first, in case the instructions need changing.

Adrian.

Hi catalinescu1

I installed mpd_oled on a fresh install of Volumio on a Pi Zero W with a basic I2S DAC and a SH1106 I2C OLED, and the current mpd_oled instructions produced a correcly working display.

Does your OLED work correctly with the nanosound plugin?

What OLED are you using (perhaps post the link where you bought it)? Is it really an SH1106? Have you tried ./mpd_oled -o3 ?

Adrian.

Thank you for your quick answer!

My oled is from a local site (china import)

51 Series, MSP430, STM32 / 2, CSR IC, etc.

4 PINS: GND, VCC, SCL, SDA
Voltage: 3V ~ 5V DC
Working temperature: -30 ℃ ~ 70 ℃
High resolution: 128 * 64
Panel dimensions: 26.70 * 19.26 * 1.85mm / 1.03 * 0.76 * 0.07 inches (approx)
Active area: 21.74 * 11.2mm /0.86 /0.44 inches (approx.)
Driver IC: SSD1306

I have an USB DAC (creative play 3) does it matter? (no it doesn’t)

I will try again with your sugestion … and IS WORKING.

Feeling so emabressed for this detail ( - o3) :rofl: but many thanks!!! The problem was that i was confused by the nano sound workaround and i thought if it was working with -o 6 this must be the way. Now is working smooth.

Thank you again!!!

1 Like

Hi catalinescu1

Great! I am pleased it is now working.

Adrian.

I will bother you with another question: I understand that the airplay and spotify services are not working with the spectrum visualizer? There is something to be done or I can remove de bars for all?
Thank you again!

Hi catalinescu1

mpd_oled requires a copy of the audio that is playing in order to show the spectrum bars. The installation instructions set up a copy using MPD, which means that the spectrum can only be seen when MPD is the player. It is possible to set up a copy of the audio for all sources by using a custom ALSA configuration file, but I can’t give specific instructions for this. See the following thread for more details: https://github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled/issues/4

Adrian.

Many thanks again!
mpd_oled -o 3 -c alsa,hw:5,0 is the solution for me with splited audio back to mic in usb dac. Maybe there are other more elegant ways but for now, it’s fine for me.

LE: unfortunately, this way, everytime i have a pause between songs a crack in speakers is heard because of the bypass i think…

Hi again and sorry for my insistence.
Can you please guide me if it’s possible to install mpd_oled without cava spectrum bar and rearrange the info on the screen?

Thanks a lot!

It will be better to ask this question on the github page

Hi catalinescu1

There are no user options to change the mpd_oled screen layout or remove the spectrum display. Perhaps you could use pydPiper instead

https://github.com/dhrone/pydPiper
https://github.com/Saiyato/volumio-pydpiper-plugin

Adrian.

Yep, my second try was pydpiper but is more resource consuming so pi 0 w can’t handle the plugin & spotify for example and the whole experience is laggy. Thanks!

Hello,
I just do a force update from to v 2.852 on ssh on volumio and now only watch is working :slight_smile: sgould I remove the files from directory and install mpd oled again?
Thanks

Hi Lintbf

It seems strange that the display is not changing from the “stop” screen to the “play” screen when you play music. If this is not the case, and the “play” screen is showing but without the spectrum display, then you could first try repeating just the instructions for setting up the audio copy.

Otherwise, yes, delete the old cava and mpd_oled source directories and start again.

Adrian.

Hi,
I have deleted and reinstalled the scripts but still only the watch is shown, pause screen, could be a pin not connected?
Thanks

Hi Lintbf

I went to update to the latest Volumio, but see that the version v2.852 you have installed is a development version. Hopefully whatever is currently stopping mpd_oled working on your system will be fixed in the next stable release, but if not I will look at it. I don’t think the issue relates to the way your OLED is connected or configured.

Adrian.

After I will instal the stable version I will come back with a feedback.
I have used this with an dsi display and with out this oled 1.3 is without life my streamer and I like the watch…
Many thanks.

Hi,
II have the new 2.852 stable version and I have the same issue :(.
Maybe others User can confirm or infirm
Thanks

From volumio team

Hi Lintbf

I installed the new version and was able to reproduce the issue.

I gave an explanation in the other thread:

I have just pushed a fix for this. Thanks again for reporting the issue.

Adrian.