OLED spectrum display on Volumio on Raspberry Pi Zero W

raspi-config isn’t needed to install mpd_oled.

On a recent Volumio I only needed to edit /boot/userconfig.txt (I2C was already set up in /boot/config.txt and /etc/modules but the speed can be set up in this file and, if using an SPI OLED, SPI can be set up in this file)

sudo nano /boot/userconfig.txt

Adrian.

In the installation it gives me these errors is normal

volumio@volumio:~/cava$ ./autogen.sh
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])’ to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = “it_IT.UTF-8”
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale (“C”).
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = “it_IT.UTF-8”
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = “it_IT.UTF-8”
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = “it_IT.UTF-8”

These are just warnings, you can ignore them.

in this section mpd_oled cd
I set the display like this:
sudo ./mpd_oled -o3
it’s correct?
because I tried to do it all over again but only time and date appears if I put a song it always remains on the time

Go to Browse > Web Radio > Volumio Selection and click on Absolut Radio (the first station). When Absolute Radio is playing, what do you see on the OLED display?

only date time is ip address.

Is the time changing on the clock? What do you see on the terminal after running ‘sudo ./mpd_oled -o3’ (and entering the password)?

you tell me to put the password is the time you update normally

Please follow these steps and reply with your results

Run these two commands (just in case you have run the command to install mpd_oled)

sudo systemctl stop mpd_oled sudo systemctl disable mpd_oled

Reboot the Pi

sudo reboot

When the Pi has rebooted open two SSH terminals logged into the Pi

In terminal one
Change to the mpd_oled directory and run

sudo ./mpd_oled -o 3

It should ask for a password and then the OLED should display the clock screen.
If you see any messages in this terminal then copy and paste them into into your reply. if the program exits without you pressing CTL-C then also let me know.

Now play Absolute Radio.

In terminal two
Run the following command and copy and paste the output into your reply

volumio status

For reference, these are my results, and the OLED is displaying the screen with the spectrum, radio name, song title, etc.

Terminal one:
mpd_oled is running, the terminal looks like this (my OLED is -o 7)

[code]sudo ./mpd_oled -o 7
[sudo] password for volumio:

[/code]

Terminal two:
This is the output of ‘volumio status’:

volumio@volumio5:~$ volumio status { "status": "play", "position": 5, "title": "Willy De Ville - Spanish Harlem | Absolut Radio ", "artist": "Absolut Radio", "album": null, "albumart": "https://radio-directory.firebaseapp.com/volumio/src/images/radio-thumbnails/Absolut Radio.jpg", "uri": "http://stream.absolutradio.de/hq/mp3-160/radioplayer/", "trackType": "webradio", "seek": 302065, "duration": 0, "samplerate": "", "bitdepth": "", "channels": 2, "random": null, "repeat": null, "repeatSingle": false, "consume": true, "volume": "25", "mute": false, "disableVolumeControl": false, "stream": true, "updatedb": false, "volatile": false, "service": "webradio" }

P.S. Regarding the password when you run sudo, the system will ask for it the first time you run sudo, and then rember you have given it and so won’t ask for it again for a while, so you won’t necessarily have been asked for a password.

{
“status”: “play”,
“position”: 1,
“title”: "Toto - Stop Loving You | Absolut Radio ",
“artist”: “Absolut Radio”,
“album”: null,
“albumart”: “https://radio-directory.firebaseapp.com/volumio/src/images/radio-thumbnails/Absolut Radio.jpg”,
“uri”: “http://stream.absolutradio.de/hq/mp3-160/radioplayer/”,
“trackType”: “webradio”,
“seek”: 34794,
“duration”: 0,
“samplerate”: “”,
“bitdepth”: “”,
“channels”: 2,
“random”: null,
“repeat”: null,
“repeatSingle”: false,
“consume”: true,
“volume”: 100,
“mute”: false,
“disableVolumeControl”: false,
“stream”: true,
“updatedb”: false,
“volatile”: false,
“service”: “webradio”

The display did not turn off when I restarted
But maybe that’s why I tried this command
sudo ./mpd_oled -o 7

but this code:
udio_output {
type “fifo”
name “mpd_oled_FIFO”
path “/tmp/mpd_oled_fifo”
format “44100:16:2”

I have to replace it with what is there or I just have to add at the end under that facsimile

You haven’t sent all the information I have asked for.

Could you repeat the steps in my last post and copy and paste what you see in both terminals. For the terminal where you are running mpd_oled, make sure your copy and paste includes the mpd_oled command you ran.

Could you also confirm that on the clock screen the time is changing (i.e. if you leave it running for one minute then the minute display changes on the clock)

Regarding your last message, if you are using an SSD1306 I2C display then you should use ‘mpd_oled -o3’, and the code you posted is added to the end of the file.

to the command sudo ./mpd_oled -o 3,
the screen updates the time immediately, making control c turn off,

THESE ARE TERMINAL COMMENTS:
here are the results

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
volumio@volumio:~$ sudo systemctl stop mpd_oled
volumio@volumio:~$ sudo systemctl disable mpd_oled
Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mpd_oled.service.
volumio@volumio:~$ sudo reboot
Connection to 192.168.1.8 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.8 closed.
Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
volumio@volumio:~$ cd mpd_oled
volumio@volumio:~/mpd_oled$ sudo ./mpd_oled -o 3
[sudo] password for volumio:
^Cvolumio@volumio:~/mpd_oled$ sudo ./mpd_oled -o 3
^Cvolumio@volumio:~/mpd_oled$

Could you also confirm that on the clock screen the time is changing (i.e. if you leave mpd_oled running for one minute then the minute display changes on the clock)

no it remains fixed on the old timetable

Ok. The mpd_oled program is not crashing for you, but sounds like it is stuck doing something (probably relating to hardware/drivers) and so is not updating the display to show changes to the time or Volumio status.

I was testing with the previous release of Volumio, but in case of any changes I made a fresh install of the current Volumio 2.713 and followed the mpd_oled install instructions for Volumio, using an I2C display. The installation completed correctly and my display is working fine.

My display is an SSH1106, I don’t have an SSD1306 of any kind to try, but I received a report four days ago that the current mpd_oled code is working on the latest Volumio with an SPI SSD1309, which is compatible with the SSD1306.

github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled/issues/34

If your display was working corrrectly on Moode, you could try putting your Moode SD card back in and confirm that your display is still working with Moode.

Otherwise, perhaps someone on the forum could confirm whether the current mpd_oled code works on the latest Volumio with an I2C SSD1306.

Today it came to me
another lcd:
ebay.it/itm/Blue-Serial-IIC … T&_trksid= p2057872.m2749.l2649,
is the installation the same right? you have to change only the right physical address mpd_oled if yes which address should I put?

mpd_oled doesn’t support that display. The supported displays are I2C and SPI 128x64 OLED displays with an SSD1306, SSD1309, SH1106 or SSH1106 controller.

hello adrii since you made me try those things you wrote me the d’isplay after mpd_oled o3 is activated but when i control C it turns off and does not turn on anymore i have to redo mpd_oled o3 to turn it back on even on mode Audio where it worked normally even if the display works on audio mode but you can’t hear the music what could have happened?

You have to run the mpd_oled install command (sudo bash install.sh) for mpd to be started automatically when the system starts, but ensure that mpd_oled is working correctly from the command line before doing that.

The mpd_oled instruction set up a copy of the audio before any kind of volume settings are applied to it. If you can see music playing on the OLED but can’t hear anything then the player volume may be set to zero (otherwise, check for an audio wire unpluged, or the amplifier volume set to zero, or off, etc).