OLED spectrum display on Volumio on Raspberry Pi Zero W

Hi Adrii,

It works really great!! :laughing: Thank you.

I am using Pi Zero WH + SSD1309 2.42" OLED.
the below is working for me and just for reference,

sudo ./mpd_oled -o 3 3c 10 -g 1 -f 20

If i want to show Asian characters such as Japanese, Korean, Chinese,
is it possible to change the font, and where is the path?

James

Hi James

Sorry, there is no option to allow display of non-latin alphabets. This is a long term issue: github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled/issues/9

I plan to fix this in the next iteration of mpd_oled, which I am currently working on, but there is no time frame for when this will be ready.

Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for you quick response.

I’m setting the Radio station.
Now it become a cool-looking audio player on my desk.

Look forward to your update.

Thanks!
James

Heloo,
This code suupport also the I2C, 2.42 inch oled display with ssd 1306 or ssd 1309 controller?
What is the difference between ssd 1306 vs ssd1309?
Thanks

Hi Lintbf

mpd_oled supports both SSD1306 and SSD1309 I2C displays. There is no difference regarding setup, they both use mpd_oled -o3.

Adrian.

Hi Adrii,

thanks for sharing your great work. I had your add-on in mind when I decided to add a OLED screen to this design

Hi Darmur

Looks like a cool project!

Adrian.

Hi,
I see that oled display uses also gpio3, scl, this pin I used for wake up, can I use another one?
Thanks

No, I2C bus requires GPIO2 and GPIO3 to function properly. You should move your wake-up button to another GPIO

So how can I move it to another pin? Whithout ads a button between global_en and gnd, or this will be the preferred solution?
Thanks

Hi Lintbf

You can use different pins for I2C. I don’t know where the documentation, is but you can see how it is configured here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254694
My understanding is that it will not using the hardware I2C, and so I don’t know if there will be speed issues when using it with mpd_oled.

Adrian.

Hi,

Please recommend me from ali express 3 I2C oled display

1. 0.96 inch 128x32
  2. 2.42 inch 128x32
  3. 0.91 inch 128x32

I see a lot of models and since theshippmend takes long I want some models that I know you have used in your projects and works.

Many thanks for your support, I am new in this dyi projects also in rpi world but I like it and I am planning to build 1 streamer with 5 inch dsi interface and 2 3 radios with pi zero with Darmur project.

Florin

Hi Florin

The display needs to be 128x64. I have previously bought generic 1.3" I2C SH1106 displays from ebay, e.g.: https://www.ebay.es/itm/White-1-3-OLED-LCD-4PIN-Display-Module-IIC-I2C-Interface-128x64-for-Arduino-UK/192413255024?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 they have all worked fine with mpd_oled. I bought a generic 1.3" SPI SSD1106, and this also works fine. Some people are using a 2.42" SSD1309 with I2C, and I believe also SPI. I am not aware of any models of the supported display types that do not work with mpd_oled.

Adrian

Hi,
Why there is written for arduino?
So can I choose any size as long as they use the supported controllers?
Thanks

Arduino projects also use these OLEDS, e.g. https://www.instructables.com/id/Monochrome-096-i2c-OLED-display-with-arduino-SSD13/

The physical size of the OLED doesn’t matter, it should just need to be I2C or SPI, 128x64, and with an SSD1306, SSD1309, SH1106 or SSH1106 controller. I can’t guarantee that any individual display will work with mpd_oled, but if you see a display that you like and are unsure if it is supported then feel free to post the link.

If you’re going to use I2C OLED screen together with BassFly-uHAT (the project I released), you need to take exactly this model: 0.96" I2C OLED DISPLAY MODULE 128X64 SSD1306

If you take a bigger one it will not fit with tactile buttons, mechanical design has been done with that model in mind. Furthermore, according to the documentation of mpd_oled add-on, resolution must be 128X64

If you’re going to order PCBs from PCBWay, you will find the OLED module on their bazar, you can order that one and have it shipped together with PCBs.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/gifts_detail/I2C_IIC_Serial_128x64_OLED_Display_Module.html

1 Like

Hello,
I have installed an oled 1.3 inch
The display is running but when I play a song the spectrum bar is not shown, nothing is shown in

that corner
checking for initscr in -l… no
configure: WARNING: building without ncursesw support ncursesw is recomended!
checking for library containing iniparser_load… no
configure: Building iniparser
configure: Checking OS
configure: Linux detected
checking that generated files are newer than configure… done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `iniparser/Makefile.in
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for volumio:
make: *** No rule to make target ‘install’. Stop.
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ sudo make install
make: *** No rule to make target ‘install’. Stop.
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ cd,
-bash: cd,: command not found
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ cd mpd_oled
-bash: cd: mpd_oled: No such file or directory
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled/cava$ cd…
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled$ sudo systemctl start mpd_oled
volumio@volumio:/mpd_oled$
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Lintbf

The problem is that there is an error stopping cava from being built, and so cava is not installed. The error you posted is:

config.status: error: cannot find input file: `iniparser/Makefile.in’

But I imagine this results from an earlier error.

Could you have another go at installing cava (in a fresh directory):

https://github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled/blob/master/INSTALL_VOLUMIO.md#build-and-install-cava

And review the output of running autogen.sh to see if there is an error, as this script should have created the file you are missing.

Adrian.

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your response.

1. How do I ins all cava in a fresh directory?
    I have run 2 times the scripts from the github help.
    Thanks

Hi Lintbf

You could do

git clone https://github.com/karlstav/cava cava2
cd cava2

Then continue with the installation.

Adrian.