[NOT RECOMENDED!] Plugin and Tweaks Adventures on Buster Betas

You’re installing the latest version of mpd_oled. You don’t need to do this and it might be what is causing your problem. If you can’t run mpd_oled in standalone then it won’t work with the plugin.

The plugin uses a slightly older version which lots of people have now tested.

Try deleting the mpd_oled and CAVA folders and install the plugin using these steps (it will download and install an older version of mpd_oled from my repository)

wget https://github.com/supercrab/volumio-plugins/raw/master/plugins/miscellanea/mpd_oled/mpd_oled.zip
mkdir ./mop
miniunzip mpd_oled.zip -d ./mop
cd ./mop
volumio plugin install
volumio vrestart
cd ..
rm -Rf mop
rm -Rf mpd_oled.zip

Hello,
This is the error I receive.

Does mpd_oled run in standalone mode?
See if you can find the error in the logs with journalctl -f and try replecating the error.

Hi ,

Please find the log when try to stop and start the plugin .
mpd_oled_plugin_error1.txt (8.1 KB)
Thanks

It looks like it’s an issue with node not liking one of the modules. I don’t have Volumio 3 installed at the moment. Have a look here:

You might be able to fix it by doing this in the folder /data/plugins/miscellanea/mpd_oled

rm -rf node_modules/sleep
 npm install

or maybe

npm rebuild sleep --update-binary

or

npm uninstall sleep && npm install sleep

Let me know if this works or not. If it doesn’t then you’re probably better off install volumio 2 since it’s pretty stable and plugins are supported!

Hi supercrab,

I still have to test the plugin on Buster, but I think the issue is with different node version, as you reported

There is a reason why plugins were disabled on the new ^3.040 versions :wink:

It uses a new Nodejs version which means all native node modules need to be rebuilt. So plugin devs need to rebuild the plugin for this new Node version and then make a new pluign.zip

If you want to manually install plugins still on the new Buster betas, you will need a figure out all the build dependencies of the plugin and rebuild them.

tl;dr
Ensure you have gcc/g++ compilers installed and then run

cd /data/xxx/yyy/plugin
mv ./node_modules ./node_modules_v8
npm install --no-package-lock --only=production
2 Likes

Hi here!
I’ve got a working version this plugin working in BUSTER with all sources. It uses new alsa pipeline. No mpd modif…
I post here asap :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up! It all makes sense now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :smiley:

Like you’ve said before, we only need one plugin that works with the new pipeline and us plugin devs can use that as a template to make more :slight_smile: This is the last peace of the puzzle - so no pressure… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What can I say. The things are moving very fast here :slight_smile: Thanks. We are living in a VUCA. The sw dev is truly agile :). Thanks. I am happy that at least I can test some things and post the results :).

@supercrab mpd_oled.zip (3,5 Mo)
A bit dirty
index.js load loopback
config.json with Loopback set
Install.sh remove mpd part
can’t test more tonight :wink:
I let you check and improve! I think the field for alsa,Loopback can be hidden in UI
sleep rebuild

1 Like

Thanks,

I have installed connect2 from here

Amazing! I will have a look now. Thanks!

Yes, but if it’s not working, try the link from that PR :slight_smile: You can just copy paste the code from index.js into your version as well…

It looks all good so far! I’m currently installing Volumio 3 so I’ll do some investigating and some testing.

It looks like you know about changing the ALSA config in the UI to alsa,hw:Loopback,1. I could hide this field like you suggested but I’ll probably leave it in as people might be using it. e.g. I used it to set the input as the mic when I failed at getting the loopback working. :laughing:

Do you have a screen to test it on?

1 Like

I can test it but in the evening.

I tested on a 1inch oled. I realize I didn’t remove some pcm related to peppymeter in the around file. To be cleaned.
IMHO, no interest of having a field for input… But this is your plugin

I recommend leaving the input field, or at least providing an option to configure it, and also writing the ALSA config based on it.

If some other plugin is using the ALSA loopback device (and hasn’t configured it with exactly the number of subdevices that it needs) then the input field will allow a different subdevice to be used by mpd_oled, e.g. the ALSA config writes a copy to hw:Loopback,0,3 and mpd_oled/cava reads from hw:Loopback,1,3.

Adrian.

I tested your changes last night and applied the node fix, so the plugin works but I couldn’t get the spectrum analyser working. I’ll wait for your updated ALSA config file which will should fix this.

1 Like