noobie question regarding volumio

My objectives are to use the ALLO BOSS raspberry pi unit as a renderer (it comes with volumio preinstalled is my understanding), use my iphone/ipad to control it, and have my Windows 10 box do the server work. By default in Windows 10 you can do DLNA but I’ve found a major problem with it.

From what I can tell, DLNA alphabetizes the tracklist by name, not track order… so concept albums (think Dark Side of the Moon) come out in alphabet order which totally destroys the album continuity. I tried using plex on windows for a server, and plex inserts a small silent gap between tracks – not quite as bad as DLNA but again with DSOTM imagine short gaps between songs. No good. I have avoided Airplay because my understanding is it doesn’t support FLAC, which is the format of the music I have stored.

I now have Logitech Media Server running on windows and a squeezebox classic as a renderer – which is good, none of the DLNA or plex issues, but the darn squeezebox only outputs about 2.2 volts which requires turning up the old victrola to 11 to hear. Not a huge problem but if I forget to adjust volume the next time I change source, I’ll blow my speakers. Also, the squeezebox presentation is OK but not spectacular. I’ve come a long way from the days when I fretted over which coaxial cable sounded best between my transport and my DAC :frowning:

So I am trying to understand what kind of SW can run on Windows that does not have the downsides of DLNA or Plex. I don’t want to drop a couple hundred on HW just to find out I’m back to DLNA or Plex behavior.

Does anyone have guidance for a bear with little brain?

I keep trying to help you, but you don’t seem to want it… Heck, I live in the MPLS area even.

I would not fool with Volumio… I would get PiCorePlayer and go that direction.

I have offered to help with a Housecall even…

C-T,
I am grateful for your offer, you have helped me before with the AVA preamp; I was just trying to sort this out myself. As you may remember I’m in the computer industry myself, and maybe my pride is coloring my thinking. OTOH you seem to be the ONLY person who’s responded to any of my posts in any forum :slight_smile:

I’m in the Volumio site because that’s what the ALLO BOSS ships with. I figured the less I muck with the vanilla box, the easier it would be. I would happily ditch Volumio for picoreplayer, especially if it can find and supports using the LMS server I have running already.

Support for LMS is (I think) the last hurdle I was trying to resolve. Well, except for dropping $150 on the ALLO BOSS.

Yours is an interesting question.
Altough I personally like to put all of my music on USB drives and\or a NAS I can understand that you have all the music in your PC and want to share it via network to Volumio.

If you want to achieve the best sonic quality you can use the native Windows function to share a folder on the network, and mount it on Volumio as it was a NAS. This is a route I try to avoid for one simple reason: the instructions to achieve it change depending on which windows version you have (xp, 7, 8 , 10 etc) and sometimes it does not work for reasons that can range from firewall, antivirus or network configuration.

However, this is what you have to do:
1- Share your music folder pureinfotech.com/setup-network-f … indows-10/
2- on Volumio, my music -> add network drive
3- Locate your PC, you should see the folder you just shared
4- Probably it will ask a user and pw. put your pc’s credentials and click add
5- If it does not mount, disable your anti virus or firewall

Let me know how it goes

Last thing: we sell the products trough the shop to get funding for the project , so I will appreciate that you will support it and not just ask for help and get it somewhere else… :wink:

@kdb, so if you will not suggest volumio, please also don’t waste your energy posting on this forum and recommending other solutions here. I find it an extremely bad taste move

Pretty Good instructions here… https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1

Basically
1.) Download the software
2.) Burn the Image on a MicroSD Card with Etcher (Software that you can download) - And yes use the same card that Volumio was on.
3.) Plug in the Raspberry Pi

I could not get Volumio working either.

And if you want, I can help your with it…

Thanks for the link, I’ll give it a try!