Node Version

How easy is it to upgrade to a newer version of Node?

It seems it would be good to be able to use some of the new Ecmascript features (enhanced string functions for a starter).

Super easy I would say…
Which version are you referring to?

Well, the latest stable is 5.4.1 - this gives us the most up-to-date ecmascript 6 api which will enable us to remove the string library dependency and use the new native string functions. This should, in theory, be quite a performance upgrade.

I hope its easy :slight_smile: But I tried and could not get mdns to build after upgrading. But I am far from an expert at these things.

Great if you can make it work.

MDNS (and others) requires build-essential, which is not present in current builds. I’ll try and let you know!

I always get confused by node naming… As of now we use 0.12.7 … But just learned about the fork and merge history of the project…
I’m getting it trough… let’s see!

Done! I managed to get it working and compiled all node modules…
Good news number 1: everything seems to work as expected (but it will take time to test everything… so not celebrating yet…)
Good news number 2: I feel it’s faster! Even without the optimizations we’re planning, this has yet a perceivable performance boost…

I’m preparing a new Volumio build with node 5.50…

If I could ‘like’ this last post I would :slight_smile:

This is fantastic news.

If I could have a distribution based on this to build from it would be amazing. I am sure we are on a good path with respect to performance improvements.

New image with node 5.5.0

updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/0 … PI.img.zip

So excited about this!
Feel free to add the native calls and eventually a PR! In the meanwhile I’ll test if everything works as expected…