No sound from S/PDIF (optical) — ALC888

Hi team!

I have a problems with optical out on my system — may be could you help me please.

I’ve installed latest Volumio to Foxconn nT-535 platform (foxconnchannel.com/ProductDe … -us0000006), sound chip is ALC888 with S/PDIF-OUT (optical).
So, first of all I’ve un-muted S/PDIF via alsamixer. Now i see “Red light” — but it’s no sound on my system when I connect it. Other outputs working.

So, again, how can I enable sound via optical-out? I don’t find any suggestion in web-interface.

Many thanks.

Sorry, the current i386 kernel has no support for the ALC888 sound chip (or the ALC268 for that matter)
Could you ssh into the machine and do cat /proc/asound/cards and head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

@gkkpch, thank you for the reply. Look please:

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDA Intel at 0xfe978000 irq 30 volumio@volumio:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec* Codec: Realtek ALC888

Last one:

aplay -l

also try placing a file named ‘alsa-base.conf’ in /etc/modprobe.d with the following contents

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

– Gé –

@gkkpch, sorry for false alarm. I see, that only with flac 192/24 there is no sound via optical. 96/24 flac playing well via optical.
via analog playing well both.

it’s an issue with my DAC, yes? they can’t 192/24?

SPDIF over optical is limited to max 96/24. Coaxial transport can go up to 192/24

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Hi gkkpch, could you pls tell me how to set up S/PDIF (optical) sound output correctly in other x86 mini PC devices with S/PDIF interface? Like intel Nuc and Lenovo K80?

some of these are old devices, when I choose an output device in the playback configuration can not see any other devices besides my onboard sound card and HDMI graphic interface. are they not supported?