no sound from RPi Zero W / Allo miniBOSS

Hi,

I just received two Allo systems preconfigured with Volumio. I’m wrestling with both. In both instances I am trying to run Wireless. I’ve gotten the RPi 3+ w/ Allo BOSS working but am having what I believe to be WiFi connectivity issues. The setup is tightly enclosed in Allo’s beautiful aluminum box. I suspect it is blocking the WiFi signal despite Allo assuring me that it wouldn’t be a problem. No conclusion on this one yet. I will let folks know when I solve that problem.

Sidestepping signal strength issues, I started working on the RPi Zero W / Allo miniBOSS setup. It appears to work, but I am not getting any sound out.

I am running a freshly downloaded (today) version of Volumio - System Version 2.502.

In configuring the DAC, I selected Allo BOSS as there was no mini BOSS option to select. I’m wondering if this is the problem.

In reviewing logs (journalctl | grep -i boss) , the snd-allo-boss-dac driver threw some errors:

kernel: snd-allo-boss-dac soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
kernel: snd-allo-boss-dac soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
(repeats 3x)
kernel: snd-allo-boss-dac soc:sound: pcm512x-hifi <-> 20203000.i2s mapping ok
alsactl[447]: No state is present for card BossDAC
alsactl[447]: Found hardware: “BossDAC” “” “” “” “”
alsactl[447]: No state is present for card BossDAC

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eric

Ok. Making some progress.

I happened to buy two of the Rpi Zero W / Allo miniBOSS packages. One of them works just fine. I followed identical configuration steps. (Different system names obviously.)

An additional symptom - I hear a single soft click when I select a Web Radio station to play on the web interface. So, it’s trying. But no success.

Any ideas?

Eric

Hi Eric

How did you solve the “no sound” issue with the Raspberry Pi Zero with MiniBoss setup?

I’m having the same problem. Everything seems setup fine . . . but when I click “play” nothing happens.

(If an obvious/quick solution doesn’t show up, I’m going to see what logging shows.)

Thanks

Chris

Did you ever solve this issue?

I just downloaded the latest version of Volumio (192.168.100.113) to use with my Pi Zero W and miniBoss since Spotify wasn’t working with the older version.

I selected the Allo Boss DAC as that is what I had done previously and it had been working fine with the older version of Volumio. Now I couldn’t get any sound out of it. I went through setup steps, installed the Spotify plugin and rebooted. Still nothing. Tried to reboot again and couldn’t get Volumio in my browser so did a hard restart unplugging the power cord. The next time it booted up sound was working fine.

Hopefully this info is useful to somebody.