No sound at all while playback 22.05kHz mp3 file. (Since last Volumio update)

Config:
Volumio 3.429
Raspberry Pi3B+
Raspberry Pi DAC Pro

Issue:
So the file is: MP3 22050Hz stereo 99kbps and while before the latest “Hotfix” Volumio update it was playing back always successfully, but now it juts starts the playback, but during there’s no sound playing at all. (Edit.: I have tested it with multiple 22.05kHz mp3 files and none of them played back with any sound. And I just put up the possibility that it also could be, that other “lower (than <44.1kHz) frequency” sample rated (mp3) audio files suffer from the same?)

Only way I could get around this is to convert this particular mp3 file up to 44.1kHz, so it’s playing back with sound fine again with Volumio, but as I may have a couple more of these 22.05kHz sample rated mp3 files in my usual playlists, it would be much nicer to find out what caused the files encoded like this to be “mute” in Volumio and resolve it, if possible.

(BTW, The actual file (with 22.05kHz) plays back on my PC with any other music playback software just fine, so it’s absolutely sure that it’s a “Volumio-only” issue).

Hope, that the developers can revise the issue and find a solution fix to resolve it, Thank you!

did you try enabling resample? it may help here?

Enabling resampling and setting it to 44.1kHz is working (as expected), but it’s not the best solution for this issue at all. I have many other sample rated audio files and any kind of up or down conversion is just makes the “perfect audiophil music player” conception and expectation to be ignored and eliminated. But I guess it’s drawbacks didn’t need any explanation here…

Please send your log in order to help to understand.
TY

The log has been sent: (Edit.: I have deleted the Log link here and sent instead to you in a private message ( balbuze.) )

Edit 2: But if I have to make and send my own Log, than it supposes that it’s not a “general” problem with Volumio and for some reason, it’s only happening in my case? Have you tried yet to examine the problem, by simply trying to playback 22.05kHz mp3 files?

Update.: So I have checked with the System Info plug-in tool and it shows, that sample rates only up from 44.1kHz are supported whit this DAC. Don’t know how correct or sufficient is this information, and how it corresponds with the DAC’s real hardware capabilities, but made me dig a bit more in the internet regarding. And here’s what I have come up with so far and posted it on the official Raspberry Pi Forum (but mainly still as a “question”): Link to Post

I don’t know if there’s any other way to check in the system, that what sample rates are supported by this DAC HAT, but if you know maybe some command line “query” solution (through SSH) or something similar, than please post it here.

In Systeminfo, value returned are what is probe… from 44100 to 192000Hz. I could increase range in a next version.
But it doesn’t mean your Dac is not able to play 22050Hz.
The problem may be format too.

So it’s seems indeed rather a Volumio system dependent issue. I would have been also a bit surprised if this DAC somehow won’t support any frequency bellow 44.1kHz from hardware. But thanks for checking it out and trying to fix it and hope you can make it for any “lower” sample frequency’s that is supported by the mp3 (or any other audio file) format!

But what you meant by “The problem may be format too.” ???

Format like S16_LE,S24_LE,S32_LE… Some Dac with a bad implementation claims to support some format but no sound when used. Exemple, Allo Piano 2.1 is supposed to work with S24_LE but in fact no. Forced S32_LE is ok.
It is the default formal in FusionDsp.

Well, I didn’t know about these format differentiations and thus’ still don’t know what supposed that change really. :thinking:
And don’t know if it counts, or has anything to do with what you have mentioned regarding these “format differenciations”, but here’s the Media Info of one of the 22.05kHz files, that fails to playback with sound:
Sample test file 22.05kHz - Media Info

And here’s the Media Info of the “same” file, just upconverted with Audacity on PC to 44.1kHz:
Sample test file 44.1kHz - Media Info

This later “upconverted” file is playing back just fine with sound on Volumio BTW.

(Edit.: I have changed the Media Info snapshot from the 44.1kHz mp3 file for the correct one, the previous was from another mp3 file.)

Well, the latest update didn’t resolve the issue, but I guess because it was dated as release at march.06 there wasn’t any time till to figure out and implement a solution. Hope the next update will do the “magic trick”.