New Volumio Spotify Plugin Open Beta-Testing

Hey all! Anyone else having an issue with any music being played over Spotify Connect immediately pausing after hitting play? I canā€™t get any song to play for more than a second.

Hopefully the new plugin solves this!

Edit: A reflash and rebuild of Volumio has fixed this issue for now, but I canā€™t wait for the updates. Anything to make Spotify more stable is welcome in my book!

4 Likes

Fantastic news!

1 Like

Awesome let me know if you want early beta testing again. Happy to help out with that!

2 Likes

Ciao!

We have released an update to the spotify plugin (3.0.8). Please update from the plugins store, reboot your device and enjoy!

This update has improvements for playlists, gapless playback and volume control. If there are any issues, please put your issue with logs in this thread.

Technical explination for playlist handling
In previous versions of the spotify plugin, when playing from the volumio UI, the playlist would be handled by Volumio. This means that after every track Volumio had to start a new track. This caused a lot of issues and made it impossible to have gapless playback.

In the new version we send the complete playlist or album to spotify. This has the following advantages:

• The playlist is also available in the spotify app
  • The next track can be preloaded for gapless playback
  • The Volumio UI becomes more responsive

Technical limitations:

• When the current queue is changed on Volumio side it will not be synced to Spotify. To sync, stop playback and start a track from the edited queue.
  • We can only send the bottom part of the queue, so when an album is started from track 2, track one will not be available from the spotify playlist.
7 Likes

Iā€™ve been switching between Spotify playlists within the updated plugin and via Spotify on my phone. So far, so perfect. Seems to start a bit quicker as well and the right song is displayed on my screen immediately.
Note, you do need to login to Spotify again after updating and rebooting.

Thanks for all the hard work!

1 Like

To avoid issues:

• Uninstall old Spotify plugin
  • Reboot
  • Install new Spotify plugin (V3.0.8)
  • Login
  • reboot

Have fun :wink:

Hi,

I updated, and now I get many errors:

Spotify API Error
WebapiError: API rate limit exceeded

and that one too:

Spotify API Error
WebapiError: Bad OAuth request

:frowning:

1 Like

please provide a log as requested by Mervinio

Thanks, that link was a great help to me! Didnā€™t know how to send the logs!

Here they are: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/VIJvE1J.html

1 Like

@tiggr
Did you follow the instructions as posted by me. As I got this error when I just updated the plugin?

@mervinio
I see a lot of errors in tiggr log with:

Mar 08 19:10:46 musicliving volumio[830]: (node:830) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 3)

Yes, I followed your instructions!

• I removed the plugin using the GUI
  • Reboot
  • Installed the plugin using the GUI
  • logged in to Spotify
  • Reboot
  • Test

And I did it againā€¦ I never belive the first try! :smiley:

Now I have a hard time to login at all. The spotify login allways jumps back to the login form insteadt of login me in. I did a video of that process: Rodgauer Workshop

if you reboot after the login, spotify is still logged out?

Yes, Iā€™m still logged out after reboot!

Letā€™s wait for a response from @mervinio, as I have no solution.

Similar issues with a combination of WebapiError: Bad OAuth request and WebapiError: API rate limit exceeded. Log and description uploaded - Hope it helps. http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/TrhoJu7.html

same error in Volumio app, i am not logged into volumio spotify.

old spotify uninstalled a reboot and reinstalled the latest version and rebooted again.

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/5X6ce6I.html

Strange, after another ā€œdeinstall - reboot - install - login - rebootā€, I was still logged out. I did another reboot, now Iā€™m logged in again. :-/

But now Iā€™m back to the ā€œBad OAuthā€ and ā€œAPI rate Limitā€ errors.

I will wait for any solution. my live does not depend on spotify! :wink: But Iā€™m happy to do further testing, if I can help.

And a new log from my system: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/XeLZTYn.html

Devā€™s are working on the issue.

1 Like

IMPORTANT: Anyone which installed v 3.08 please:

• Uninstall spotify plugin
  • Restart Volumio
  • Install the new version 3.0.9

Update:
Sorry for this mishap, there is still an issue with hitting API limit. We reverted changes to volume in 3.0.9 to ensure we do not hit these API limit, in the meantime we will look for a more robust solution.

4 Likes

Just installed V3.09 and it seems to do the trick. Tested on a rPi.

*(Just to update you all. I did remove the plugin ā€œV3.0.8ā€ and re-installed it ā€œV3.0.8ā€ when the reports came in. Causing the same issue)

1 Like