New Volumio Spotify Plugin Open Beta-Testing

I am on 3.324 and the latest Spotify plugin, however I have had this issue with multiple versions of Volumio as well as on the current Spotify plugin as well as the old one. Basically, I will be playing music via Spotify Connect to Volumio and after some number of songs (sometimes several, sometimes just a few) the music will just stop playing and the Spotify app on my phone will show that I have disconnected from the Volumio client. I can reconnect and start playing the track again, but it is a PITA and happens fairly frequently. Log below for when the disconnect happens, playback stopped in the middle of the track “I’m Not My Season”. I am by no means an expert, but I have tried other fixes I have read about on the forums (e.g. changing mixer type, reinstalling/disabling and re-enabling the plugin) and I am connected via 5GHz wifi and very close to the access point. Also, playing Spotify via Airplay works fine for hours on end, so I seriously doubt it is a network/signal strength issue. Any help is much appreciated!

info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioGetState
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioGetQueue
info: CoreStateMachine::getQueue
info: CorePlayQueue::getQueue
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: system , getHwuuid
[Vollibrespot] : couldn’t parse packet from 192.168.0.238:5353: query type 65 is invalid
[Vollibrespot] : Loading with Spotify URI
[Vollibrespot] : (191400 ms) loaded
[Vollibrespot] : Event: Next { track_id: SpotifyId { id: 214232179337690954136126674765395705785, audio_type: Track } }
[Vollibrespot] : Event: TrackChanged { old_track_id: SpotifyId { id: 242099742719394636861820039978163288053, audio_type: Track }, track_id: SpotifyId { id: 214232179337690954136126674765395705785, audio_type: Track } }
[SpotifyConnect] I’m Not My Season
info: Is Connect Playback
info: [1659539456193] ControllerSpotify::pushState
info: CoreCommandRouter::servicePushState
info: CoreStateMachine::pushState
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: volumiodiscovery , saveDeviceInfo
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioPushState
[Vollibrespot] : Unable to load audio item.
[Vollibrespot] : SessionError: Connection reset by peer (os error 104)
volspotconnect.service: Succeeded.
volspotconnect.service: Service RestartSec=2s expired, scheduling restart.
volspotconnect.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 9.
Stopped Volspotconnect2 Daemon.
Started Volspotconnect2 Daemon.
vollibrespot v0.2.5 8922128 2022-05-31 (librespot 08d8bcc 2020-10-07) – Built On 2022-05-31
Reading Config from “/tmp/volspotify.toml”
[Vollibrespot] : Using Alsa backend with device: volumio
[Vollibrespot] : Failed to register IPv6 receiver: Os { code: 19, kind: Uncategorized, message: “No such device” }

Seems to work fine thus far for me, RPI 4 with digiberry amp, love the addition of the icon, kudos for that!

instalado ultima versão mas ainda o problema persiste.

I finally had to move to the new plugin on my Volumio Primo (v 3.324) yesterday since now also volspotconnect2 stopped working (old Spotify plugin already deinstalled).

But with 3.0.4 Spotify Connect is not working, can’t choose Volumio as output (it doesn’t show up) . Tried 3.0.3 and there it works without any problems - and no skipping etc.

I also went back to 3.0.3 however although I can play, the track doesn’t move/update in volumio, so it’s not much use really… We got a multi-room system, so reverting to LMS so family can play music!

NEW VERSION 3.0.6

What this changes:

• Disabled volume sync to avoid volume jumps and excessive API call request
  • Clear queue when Spotify Connect starts (avoid skipping)
  • Require extended scopes tokens only if user is logged in

Known issue:

• If you are playing from within Volumio and start another Spotify session from your mobile or PC, the track will skip to the next. Just click again to the track you want to play, and it will play. NOTE: Queue will be cleared if it contains spotify track when you start a connect session.

IMPORTANT! Everyone on a version lower than this, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR PLUGIN TO THIS VERSION!

To do so:

• Uninstall the plugin you have
  • Restart your device
  • Install new version 3.0.6

Then, a note about current development status. Considering the big difficulties we are having in delivering a stable plugin, we did a deep analysis of the technical stack involved.
Turns out that to solve all the issues completely, and have 100% stable plugins, we do have to do some architectural restructuring of the code of Vollibrespot. This is also a good chance to update everything to the latest version of librespot (which is updating its API as well, as there seems some new issues between Spotify infrastructure and librespot).

For about 20 days there will be less response from the team in this (and others thread) as we enter now in reduced development capacity due to summer vacations.

So, long story short, to have a 100% good plugin, more time is needed and we will be able to deliver it not before the end of the summer.
Rest assured, no effort is being spared so far, and won’t be.

Thanks to everyone is reporting issues and suggestions here, without your help it would have been much harder!

8 Likes

@volumio

Thanks for the efforts made by the team. At this moment unable to perform much testing, as the holiday finally kicks in and the internet is for sure not recent technology.

So far:

• Login is working again
  • I seem to be unable to pass the first track on a playlist. (only using via the Volumio UI) It stops after the first song.

Keep up the good work, I will enjoy my holiday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can we not have the Spotify Connect app (the standalone) back please? At least until the app is updated and fixed. As it stands the current app is more of a nuisance than anything else.

1 Like

The new plugin works as a connect endpoint exactly like the old connect one.
Plus, there are several reports of even the old plugin not working anymore as well, from what we understand because there are some changes on spotify s end.

2 Likes

It sort of works. Every now and then the volume jumps all over. Often playlists just skip. Or is non responsive to changing albums etc. And all this on the actual Spotify app through the current connect. The standalone app had no such issues. But if it is not possible then that’s OK too.

1 Like

Updated this morning to 3.0.6 and at present no issues, skipping is stopped and track selection behaves better also from selecting the album first and then a track. Only glitch I noticed that I could not re-login after updating the Plugin but after a restart it was again automatically logged in. Thx for the update and hard work ! (Ps I do not use the volume so cannot comment on that)

1 Like

Uninstalled 3.0.4, rebooted, then installed 3.0.6.

Solved:

• No more OAuth en API Key errors
  • Connect from Android Spotify app works
  • Spotify search from VolumioUI works, able to queue tracks, albums, playback works

There’s one situation however where I can get a library track and a Spotify track playing simultaneously:

To reproduce:

• Add a library track to the queue, then a Spotify tracks then another library track, and play.
  • Wait till the library track ends and the Spotify track starts to play. Open the Android Spotify app and you’ll noticed Spotify Connect is active.
  • Now, pause playback in the Android Spotify app and the next library track in queue will start to play on Volumio
  • Now, press play again in the Android Spotify app. The Spotify track starts to play again however the library track continues to play as well.

Tracks in queue:

"Mr Bishi"
Service: mpd Uri: mnt/NAS/md0storage-music/albums/Tetra Splendour/Tetra Splendour - (2002) - Splendid Animation/07 Tetra Splendour - Mr Bishi.mp3 Artist: Tetra Splendour Album: Splendid Animation Albumart: /albumart?cacheid=728&web=Tetra%20Splendour/Splendid%20Animation/extralarge&path=%2FNAS%2Fmd0storage-music%2Falbums%2FTetra%20Splendour%2FTetra%20Splendour%20-%20(2002)%20-%20Splendid%20Animation&metadata=false

"Milquetoast"
Service: spop Uri: spotify:track:6IsnrcSZvmmd5db8QpQb91 Artist: Helmet Album: Betty Albumart: https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d0000b273f9cbf0cd40391d985b2af57b

"Weakling"
Service: mpd Uri: mnt/NAS/md0storage-music/albums/Tad/Tad - (1995) - Infrared Riding Hood/08 Tad - Weakling.mp3 Artist: Tad Album: Infrared Riding Hood Albumart: /albumart?cacheid=728&web=Tad/Infrared%20Riding%20Hood/extralarge&path=%2FNAS%2Fmd0storage-music%2Falbums%2FTad%2FTad%20-%20(1995)%20-%20Infrared%20Riding%20Hood&metadata=false

"Brother"
Service: mpd Uri: mnt/NAS/md0storage-music/albums/Alice In Chains/Alice In Chains - (1992) - Sap/01 Alice In Chains - Brother.mp3 Artist: Alice In Chains Album: Sap Albumart: /albumart?cacheid=728&web=Alice%20In%20Chains/Sap/extralarge&path=%2FNAS%2Fmd0storage-music%2Falbums%2FAlice%20In%20Chains%2FAlice%20In%20Chains%20-%20(1992)%20-%20Sap&metadata=false

"Wilma's Rainbow"
Service: spop Uri: spotify:track:3QKloANAAhqsgRXAuBioYv Artist: Helmet Album: Betty Albumart: https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d0000b273f9cbf0cd40391d985b2af57b

"Schema"
Service: mpd Uri: mnt/NAS/md0storage-music/albums/Circa Survive/Circa Survive - (2014) - Descensus/01 Circa Survive - Schema.mp3 Artist: Circa Survive Album: Descensus Albumart: /albumart?cacheid=728&web=Circa%20Survive/Descensus/extralarge&path=%2FNAS%2Fmd0storage-music%2Falbums%2FCirca%20Survive%2FCirca%20Survive%20-%20(2014)%20-%20Descensus&metadata=false

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/x8lGl6i.html

Thanks @volumio for providing us with updates this frequently!

3 Likes

In the new plugin loop/repeat doesn’t work! If I select loop mode (when playlist finish restart) the only things that happen is Repeat the song is on (always the same song) if deselect loop mode start normally to skip the song when finish. I need for loop mode for my playlists list thanks

2 Likes

Same for me :+1: :+1: :+1:
Working in v3.0.6

1 Like

Now it doesn’t skip by the entire playlist, but there is no sound, could the plugin be using the wrong output source?

1 Like

v3.0.6 stopped working when trying to select Spotify under the sources menu.

The log has multiple warnings like this error: Failed to refresh Token: Timeout

That comment saved me! Installed 3.0.6 on three RPis this morning. No Spotify browsing. Login clearly worked because Spotify emailed me to warn me of a new login. Turns out I just needed to restart after the Spotify login. Enabling the plugin was also a bit glitchy - I got a prompt to enable, had to click the ‘enable’ button two or three times to actually dismiss it.

1 Like

Thanks for the great work!

After upgrading Volumio volume jumps back to 100% at the beginning of each new song after lowering it via Spotify connect. Anyone else experiencing this?

Spotify 3.0.6 still not working for me.
A song will play for about 2 seconds then stop.

In the log I see:
Aug 25 07:03:41 volumio kernel: bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/tHgY0su.html
Around Aug 25 07:03:41

And now Tidal is broken as well - crying an ocean of tears…

1 Like

Question. I normally listen to Qobuz, which works very well with the newest volumio version.

But every now and then, I like to use a spotify playlist. (the discovery / curated playlists are just too good). Should I even install this plugin? As far as I understand, spotify connect works just fine without this plugin?