New User needs help

Hello,

I am new to Volumino and before I can even install it to anything and try it I have some questions:

(1) Installation on a x86-PC: I already have a linux system running on it and volumino apparently is running on debian Jessie.
==> Is there a *deb package to install volumino on an existing debian system, in parallel to all of my other linux debian applications?

(2) After having installed Volumino on a x86 PC using the download package provided by volumino: how do I use another PC to “log in” into volumino, to control it? I’ve read that I can use any device that has a browser running on it to control volumino.

(3) Apparently, volumino is a kind of “split applications” application - one “audio-hw-host” that will playback the music from lo-spec-HW and the GUI “slave” that I can use to control volumino. Regarding the “slave”: maybe you can write on the HW requirements page that this will run on any Android (even Windows Phone?) device (which Android version is required?) , but the actual APP to control it is not found here on volumino but in Google shop?

Thanks a lot, I plan to try it very soon. It seems it will meet most of my requirements :slight_smile:

Regards,
MusykLover.

Hi MusykLover, and welcome to Volumio & the forum.

Volumio 2 is built with a number of specific package & custom versions of software, and is supplied as an image including the underlying OS & FS. There is no deb package available to install on top of a standard Linux installation.

Any device running a browser can access the Volumio UI at the PC’s IP address. It can also also be accessed from the host PC, android apps & an iOS app.

Volumio on a host device, whether that be x86, or SBCs such as RPi, Odroid, Pine64, Sparky etc. etc. plays audio from a NAS, local USB hard drive, internal SD card, Spotify, internet radio streams. The GUI is browser based also from the Volumio host for any device that can access this. If you want to use an app rather than a browser, then these are available from Google Play or the App Store.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask any further questions :slight_smile:

Hello,

Volumio is a distribution rather than an application. Big part of it are optimizations on the os level. It is meant to be installed like an os on its own partition. I guess there is no Debian package for Volumio.

My Volumio installation is headless. As soon as it is booted, I can reach the UI via a web browser from another device ( Tablet, PC, Phone) using the IP of the Volumio installation. I have not tried it using the local UI but there should be one if you have a screen.

There are apps for Android and Ios but the web ui is perfect for me. It even works on a Windows Mobile which lacks any supporting apps.

Most of what I wrote is described more in detail in the docs.

Bruno

Hello again,

thanks for your quick reply and support!

I was able to create the bootable USB-Stick and run volumio from my media PC.
I was also able to make it find my local WiFi network and log into it, and then browse the volumio.local web address to find the volumio interface on my other (linux debian) PC.

Unfortunately, it did not find the locally installed SSD drive partitions.

Does volumio require a particular file format to be installed on a partition?

As it did not find my local SSD drive to play some music, I tried to listen to webradio instead. I got an error “ALSA not installed” (or so). I switched the system settings, but to no avail - I got around the ALSA error, but still did not hear anything.

I have an onboard S/PDIF audio device that I would like to use.

BTW: when making changes (using options, switching around, selecting music) on the remote app, is volumio on the main player pc supposed to reflect this on its GUI?

Thanks a lot again, the whole thing looks very promising!

MusykLover.

I think that you will need to mount a local SSD before Volumio will find it. Have a look at this thread and see if you can follow the procedure.

With regards to ALSA, did you choose an appropriate output device in ‘Playback Options’?