NAS mount lost on reboot

A problem that occurs about 80% of the times I reboot Volumio is that my NAS mount isn’t working. See the attached screenshot.

If I edit the drive and simply press Save in Volumio it mounts fine. So there’s probably nothing wrong with the settings.

• I use WiFi on a RPi3. The connection is working when the mount is not.
  • File share type: cifs
  • No user name, no password, no options.

My suspicion is that this may have to do with attempting to mount before the WiFi connection has been fully established.
nas-mount.gif

Do you use DHCP over wifi? Using on LAN I don’t have the issue.

Maybe giving a fix IP would speed up the wifi and help.

Some retry or delay might be necessary to setup anyway.

I normally use automatic IP address. But I tried a static IP now and the problem persists.

The below facts (I think) strengthen the hypothesis that the error is caused by the mount being attempted before the WiFi connection is ready:

• As you report, mounts seem to work when using network cable. Only boot-ups with WiFi are affected.
  • For me, some of the times (10-20%) the mount actually does work with WiFi. This is consistent with the duration of WiFi connection establishment varying a little.

If this is the case introducing a short delay (a second or two) before the mount is attempted could solve the problem. Unfortunately I don’t know if this change easily can be made using SSH to test this.

I have the same setup and problem. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Good to hear that I am not alone with this. It does indicate that this is a bug.

Hopefully we can get the attention of the Volumio developers. Maybe a formal bug report is required?

+1

Is your NAS always oon when powering Volumio ? Do you use a router ? Same thing : it is on when volumio boot ?

faint feeling: connection rejected before the network is up.
Reason why I think so: it happened here occasionally, when I store the current values in the edit window it connects

@balbuze: My NAS is always on and I use it for

• Volumio on RPi
  • Kodi mediaplayer on another RPi
  • normal files (accessing with my Windows client)

Of these only Volumio has problems mounting the NAS (when using WiFi).
I got a router too, it’s always on.

While I have not had this problem with Volumio, this has been a common problem on Raspian Jessie installs.

After reading a crazy amount of forum posts, the solution is to add rootdelay=30 to the end of /boot/cmdline.txt

This slows the drive mounting so that the network can catch up.

This post kind of goes over it: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99491

Another: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/824

@bakechad: Thanks for your effort, I think you’re on to something, However, I made the change to /boot/cmdline.txt but the NAS still won’t mount automatically on startup… :cry:

After the edit, the file looks like:

force_turbo=1 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0  dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 imgpart=/dev/mmcblk0p2 imgfile=/volumio_current.sqsh elevator=noop rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N rootdelay=30

I’ll read the forum threads you referenced in more depth and see if that gives something.

I have this problem as well. Raspberry pi 2 B on wifi. Adding the rootdelay=30 or rootdelay=60 did not fix the issue. Always connects to the NAS right away one I re-enter the NAS login in the My Music screen of the UI.

I have been running the RC2 hotfix version since it came out and it has never connected automatically on reboot for me.

I have the same problem connecting to nas! It works fine after mounting “manually” until next start, regardless of whether hard reset or software reboot.

+1
Exactly the same problem with Volumio 2 on raspberry pi 2 & 3!

volumio-final-release-very-near-pre-test-needed-t4709.html

I was delighted to discover that this problem is gone with the latest Volumio upgrade.

Now that I can access my music without mounting a network volume manually on every reboot, Volumio has become a much more useful tool for me.

Thank you to the Volumio team for your efforts! :smiley: