Nanosound Player with amplifier running on AA batteries?

Hey there,

does any body know what the power consumpition is of a Nanosound player with amp?

I’d like to make it portable using AA Batteries.

Would this make any sense?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
-Peter

While it is quite feasible to power the Nanosound on AA batteries for a relatively short time, I think that running an amp is probably a non-starter (obviously depends on exactly what you mean by amp) .

I agree. I made a mistake on HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro (with independent power supply to the DAC only) and only had provided it with a 2A battery (usually used for changing my iPhone, and under the assumption that it will be linear enough for a good noise floor). It did not work until I plugged in a real linear 2A power supply unit. I also experimented and tried to drive Nanosound DAC with a 1A power supply. The same thing happened. I also saw someone reports weak volume from Amp^2 from a less than optimal power supply to drive the Amp^2. The output from my 2.5V (for RPi) + 2V (for DAC) for the Nanosound DAC + Amp^2 can drive small speakers and a Senn HD650 pretty loud. That said, I would assume that you would need power supply units better than 2AA batters for a consistent result.

John

Hello, for portable use, we recommend driving with portable mobile battery with 5V 2A output or above. We have tested this setup with nanosound dac pro + amp^2 without any issue.

Roughly, driving loudspeakers with around 80% volume, Pi uses 0.7A-1A , dac uses 0.1A, amp uses 0.7-1AA, so 2A is just enough.

For best results, you can power pi, dac+amp separately with 2 x 5v 2A power supply.
nanomesher.com/nanosound-hardware-installation/