My Volumio - Luxmanio - Project

hi all

I already posted some work I did around some old vintage HIFI chassis that I repurpose for volumio streaming activities (Accuphase and sony so far)

volumlio-accuphasemio-project-t11240.html

I have recently started a third one based on some old luxman devices : I bought a vintage Luxman L81 amplifyer and I was very pleased with the sound and the old 70’s look of it…therefore, I started looking for a similar chassis to build up a streamer for it. I usually tend to adapt tuner chassis as they are not too expensive and that they fit the purpose quite well. They offer nice windows space to add oled screens.

IMG_20190720_161229.jpg

I will post some more details soon; I already emptied the tuner and bought the different components to build the streamer. Contrary to my previous works, this streamer will contain everything form streaming functions (x86 board for volumio) to transport and dac. Each part will get a dedicated power supply. I am aiming at using 2 x 20x2 OLEDs for main infos (artist, title, bitrate and album name) + additionnal 16x2 oleds for song duration and streamer name display.

That’s the plan… I will post later details of the components.

Stay tuned :wink:

Ok,

Most of the components have arrived and assembly should start soon. A bit of preparation work will be needed as the Luxman t88v chassis offers less space than I expected originally :slight_smile:

A bit of creativity should however fix this.

the streamer will consist of :
An X86 Motherboard :ITX-M56 VER: 1.6 J1900 2.0Ghz
4 gigas of Ram
SSD for Volumio OS
1 dedicated power supply + regulatory Board from my friend @Roseaudio.fr

1 Transport with its dedicated power supply

1 dac with its power supplies

2 oled displays from Matrix orbital (20x2) usb connected (github.com/pattdepanick/vlub => python code to drive the displays)

Two Vu Meters for the vintage look :slight_smile: showing 220v and 12v meters.

I will give the details of all the components in the next thread…

luxmanstream2.jpg

The motherboard will actually sit underneath as there will be two levels bottom and top.

stay tuned for more soon…

1 Like

well it took ages but here we are…Tomorrow is my 51St birthday and one of my gifts will be this 99% finished project…

I have now a fully working new vintage streamer based on old T88 Chassis and plenty of modern stuff inside!
It sounds terrific, it looks cool and classy :slight_smile: :grin: Again because of lack of proper tools the oleds screens windows are not as good as I would like them to be…However; this was a v1 and v2 wil be perfect…

The vu meters are working fine though I might find a way to enlight them a bit…

c’est dans les vieux pots que l’on fait les meilleures soupes…as we say in french. the old L81 Amp (recapped thus as new) sounds great with his new friend.

1 Like

I created another luxman set for my bedroom based on a single PI4 with a hifidac berry coupled with an old L31 amp and small highland speakers

I removed the meter there as well to replace it later with a small oled screen …

next move will be to turn a broken D109 into a nice looking volumio streamer, while keeping the cd player and the tubes …

2 Likes