My self-build volumio streamer

Great! Thanks Michael!

thanks for the awesome information.

Great build! I’m currently trying to implement the same power button with my Pi 4B and Volumio Ver 3.233. I have gotten the LED portion to work as well as the shutdown feature using physical pins 9 and 10. Unfortunately I cannot get the wake feature to work. I am using physical pins 5 and 6 with a momentary switch. As I do not see the GPIO button plugin available I’m at a loss as to how to implement the wake feature. Any ideas? Again, great looking build!
Thanks

1 Like

gpio plugin is not yet implemented in volumio 3.
you can install it manually, check the link.

and the best is to use gpio 3 in the plugin for shutdown and start.

you can also check the volumio-3-plugin-migration-status.

if you want a more elegant power and shutdown way, you can use the audiophonics Power Management, here too the plugin is not yet available in volumio3.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I was able to manually install the plugin with no issues. Using GPIO 3 as I use an external DAC. Working perfectly now. :+1:t2:

I like it very much and try to follow.
Is any problem with heating of radiators on power supply?

it gets warm but not so hot that there is a problem with it.
In principle you should not use the toroidal transformer higher than the 8 volt ac if you are going to use the 5 volt dc.

Thanks. I have a similar power supply with an 8VAC but the heatsink is very hot, I can put my fingers for couple of seconds.

coincidentally, I’m going to my brother-in-law’s next week and I’ll check if it gets that hot as well.

Thanks

Last week I checked the power supply of my brother-in-law’s streamer and indeed the heatsink is getting quite warm.
the whole is connected to a raspberry pi 4 but the voltage itself remains pretty stable.
the power supply has enough apmere and why it is so hot I don’t know right now.

Thank you. I was afraid so, I did some calculation.
I think your heatsink has to release about 8W as heat, which is high.
Pi4 will have 1A max and Whaveshare 0.75A (max from data sheet).
(8VACx1.414-1.4V-5V)x1.6A=~8W.
This is why is so hot. I have no idea how it will be for long term operation, this is a concern to me.
One solution is to move LT1083 by wires to the case for better release of heat. The case will act as huge heatsink.

your calculations are correct 8 watts is quite a lot. maybe a bigger heatsink or move and fix it to the case.
long term could become a problem with that heat.

I didn’t really pay attention to this with the build.

I will edit the beginning of the post that it is better not to use this power supply in this combination.

1 Like

I was looking to this power supply: Linear Power Supply board DC LT1083 2.5V to 30V / 6A - Audiophonics
It is usefull attaching to the case or bigger heatsink.

Another question came to my mind.
Are you sure that feeding KTB to usbc just with data is fine?
My understanding is if you use usb c it will take both digital and power.
In your case the LPS for KTB may be useless, so that will add 0.5A to power supply.
I will suggest to use pins for d+ and d- from Pi to KTB.

LE see here https://www.khadas.com/post/tone-1-separating-data-power-connections

in general, heat is dissipated faster with a larger heatsink, you could try that and see if it helps.

as for the khadas tone1 to only use the data lines and the plus/minus for the power supply will not work i already tried this once.
somehow the raspberry pi needs voltage via usb otherwise you will get an alsa error in volumio.

in itself it does not matter what according to the documentation the toneboard1 automatically switches to external voltage.

you could try it with a resistor in between, so that pi has enough voltage not to get an error.

see also link.

https://www.khadas.com/post/khadas-tone-board.

Is something contradictory as I see:

Solution 2 (warranty valid):

The second solution would be to “go with the flow”. We know that when the Tone 1 DAC is powered via it’s GPIO, it will only accept USB data-input from the GPIO header. Conversely, when powered via the USB-C port, it will only accept data-input from the USB-C port.

I will do myself a test.

you can probably try it and see if you don’t have the alsa problem or if the tone1 is no longer selectable in settings/playback options.

I did a try, results as follows:

• KTB 2 wires usb from Pi (d+/d-) and separate power from a LPS, Pi by separate smps - it did not works. OS did not see usb audio.
  • KTB 3 wires usb from Pi (gnd, d+, d-) and 5 v supply in parallel for both KTB and Pi from same LPS - it works.
    Common grd for KTB and Pi did the trick.

This come by this picture with common gnd between PS and Pi.

nice found :smiley:

so we can conclude that 5 volts plus/minus on pin 1 and pin 21 and data + / - does not work with the tone1 in combination with a raspberry pi.
and in the way as in my initial post it also works only the power supply consumes too much current/ampere

because of this modification you can now notice that the power supply to the heatsink no longer gets so hot, or does it not matter?