My Second RPI Volumio project !!!

hi!
please find attached the driver.
Take care to place it where Lcdpdroc will search
If not enough, tomorow I’ ll upload the full image of the project :smiley:
hd44780.so.zip (24.7 KB)

Thanks a lot, but unfortunately no success. Still the same behaviour and error messages. I am pretty sure this is caused by mpdlcd, but could not figure out what’s going wrong. Additionally, I found two more error messages saying that there’s a syntax error in monip.py in line 4 and in button-rasp.py in line 29, any idea what might cause this?

It’s getting late for today, I hope for more luck tommorrow.

Again, thanks for your help!

I know that there are differencies from Rpi and Rpi 2 regarding LCDProc…

Which pi do you guys have?

Hi Michelangelo,

it is really weird, I am facing the same issue on various models.

I had the same error message (connection refused) when trying with a new model 2B in combination with an HD44780 display without I2C interface. This has been partially solved with the solution that baloothebear provided in this thread: https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-with-hd44780-display-connection-lcdproc-t3120.html
After installing the new hd44780.so driver and with the LCDD.conf file that baloo provided, the display worked fine, I was unable to change the pins used though. As soon as I tried to adjust the pin settings in the LCDd.conf to connect an ES9023 DAC, this resulted in the same connection error and the well-known row of blocks on the display. This issue is still not solved so far, I have no idea how to tackle it.

So I thought I should get a display with an I2C interface, hoping that using only 2 cables would reduce the risk to run into trouble again. I picked an older model B revision 2 (made in China), cause I still had the HifiBerry DAC for this model. I installed everything as described in my previous post, but can’t get this display to work either.

This is so frustrating. I cannot finish any of the projects I planned because I always run into the same error. I’m almost sure that I make some stupid mistake, as it seems to work properly for nearly everybody else. I just cannot figure out what the mistake is. So any help is highly appreciated. Since I am still a complete noob regarding Linux, I don’t even know how to properly troubleshoot the issue, which logs to check, etc.

Part of the problem is that there are loads of different tutorials, and nearly all of them contain slight differences, use different config files or drivers. I have been searching around and trying various solutions now for months, but never got this sorted properly. As said earlier, once this is solved, I will write a detailled guide for various RPI models, displays and connection types.

hi!
@digitalToys please check your mail (on the forum) I sent you a link to download a working image of the SD card of my project…
Unzip, flash, boot, and tell us…

Hi balbuze,

thanks again, received the image and copied it to the SD. Works fine after first boot, the display comes up and shows correct information. As soon as I change the audio driver to HifiBerry and reboot, the display backlight is switched off, the shutdown message (Au revoir…) keeps getting displayed and connection to the LCD fails, this time with slightly different error message: socket.error: [Error 111] connection refused.

So I think we can assume that it has something to do with the HifiBerry driver, which was actually the only thing all my previous tries had in common.

@Michelangelo: seems like an interesting thing to get solved, I guess I’m not the only one who would like to use HifiBerry & display in one device. I’m afraid I cannot contribute too much to the troubleshooting, except of course for log files and testing activities. Apart from that, I hope for your assistance.

Cheers guys, really appreciate your support!

Hi,

Looks really great, especially the LCD display that shows information. Gives inspiration and ideas on how doing things.
Keep it up!

Regards
Benjamin

@Michelangelo: did you have a chance to take a look at my findings with balbuze’s image? Maybe you have a hint on what is changed during the installation of the HifiBerry driver that might cause the connection to the LCD to fail?

Cheers!

Update: forget my previous assumption about the HifiBerry driver. I tried a fresh installation yesterday using an RPi 2B with an IQaudio PiDigiAmp+. It does not matter if I install the driver for the DAC first and then try to add the display or if I do it the other way round. I always end up with the “connection refused” message. Tried various driver files on different locations (/home/pi/lcdproc/ and /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lcdproc/) but did not succeed. Balbuze’s image works great in combination with the PiDigiAmp though.

Next assumption is that I am just too dumb to get it running… :blush:

Still any hint is really appreciated.

Hi,

Sorry to jump into discussion.
I assume you are using i2c-backpack similar to this sunrom.com/p/i2c-lcd-backpack-pcf8574,
where the wiring are :
LCD Pin vs PCF8574A Pin Mapping
BL-EN-RW-RS-D4-D5-D6-D7 = 3-2-1-0-4-5-6-7

Please take a look at the discussion here, sourceforge.net/p/lcdproc/discus … /00298b2f/

Following the changes mentioned on that thread (I did it manually, not taking from github), and recompile lcdproc, I manage to make the display works.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

@balbuze Hi, could you please send me too a link to your SD card image, i try to install it 4 times, but no luck :frowning:

Hi, i know its an old thread. But i want to use a hd44780 on a Pi Zero.
I have activate the i2c but i don´t get any informations.

Your instructions maybe work on volumio2 with little changes?

thx for help.