My music player project – Quarantine 19 (started during my quarantine…)

I will try to be more precise in the future
Those leds are hard to find

1 Like

Hi,

1. I see that you use 2 regular psu switchable for the hdmi and hdd. I am plan to use a meanwell 15w module. What module do you use?
    Do you think that 15w will be enough for hdmi 3.5 inch, and rpi
  2. What buttons have you used on right side. :slight_smile: are really nice, if you have a link…
  3. The design of the case you have done it in a tool?
    Sory for the high number of questions but your project is so complete. I just ordered the led arrays.

Thanks

1 if you aren’t plan yo use hdd, than 15w should be enough also for the display,
but if not you can always add a simple cell phone psu only for the display.
2 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32949015301.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dtDnvZY
3 I only used word to draw a simple sketch . I went to some place to make the drills and they used my sketch to some pro cad application. if you want to use the same case I can post the full design file

Hi,
Thanks a lot,
It will help if you post the file, it will help me with the dimensions, how to arrange it on the paper then to chose the case. Now I am think it what to put on front, 3.5 display and vu meter or…
Thanks

2 Likes
4 Likes

ofiras, what’s the reason for those pauses in sound?
I see that you created your own stereo circular meter. I hope that was not difficult.
What is that compact cassette? Is it Volumio plugin?

For those interested in the PepppyMeter - you can output signal not only through I2C interface but also Serial interface and PWM:
PeppyMeter Outputs

Best regards

The pauses are on purpose , I only wanted to show that the tapes are responding to the player status…

Compact cassette is actually a derived meter with tapes instead of needles.
I downloaded a cassette image and cut the tapes using photoshop

Btw I made another state for the mono circular meter to show the progress of the song with the needle (time) instead of vu.

1 Like

I guess it’s using VU Meter signal just to detect that the sound is on/off, right?

2 Likes

You can probably use that cassette for the same purpose. I think I saw something like that somewhere. The tape increases on one side and decreases on another. It’s not precise but gives the idea about time :slight_smile:

no, I just read the player status if it’s on play mode or not , there is sometimes silence in the middle of a track so using the signal will be that good…

1 Like

Hi,
Can I output the vu meter to a dsi display?
I see at you have vu select and vu mode buttons? They change the appearance in the hdmi display? For example I want to be able to show the vumeter display by pressing a button then to return to volumio UI by oressing the same button…
Thanks

1 Like

Hello,
Could you please help with pepy meter installing.
I have install ALSA plugin but I can not find the asound.conf in /etc… În volumio folder I have : peppy meter peppy ALSA folders and myfifo.
I can not see the meter.txt in peppy meter folder
I have installed pygame but when I execute import pygame : command not found…
When I started the python3 pepy meter.py I receive : pygame error, unable to open /dev/fb1.
I have a dsi display and I have only fb0 in /dev.
I have modified in peppy meter.py, /dev/fb1 in fb0… But now I have pygame error unable to open a console terminal… .
Volumio uses python 2… Not 3
I have run the pepy meter with python 2 and import error, no module named configparser…

I guess all those issues are related to python version… Used in volumio…
Thanks in advance

First of all, congratulations on your project. It sure is serving as an inspiration to many of us.

Would it be possible for you to detail a little more about how everything is powered?
I understand that the screen needs 5v, the raspberry 5v … and the 12v of the hard disk? Have you used a SATA-USB converter? Would it be a good idea to plug in an active HUB USB and power everything from the HUB?
Could you describe all this in a little more detail?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Well . I tried a lot of options .

1. one simple “phone” charger connected to the raspberry and one for the hdmi display.
    2.5” HDD connected to the usb of the raspberry also for power supply.
    The lcd is connected to the raspberry’s gpio pins and power from there.

2. for more “audiophile” way I built a linear psu using a 50va 6vac toroidal transformer and a rectifier kit to 5 v dc. This cause the raspberry to “complains” about low power when the hdd is connected so I replaced it with to 3.5”HDD with its 12v power supply.

3. currently I replace the 3.5 hdd to 2.5 ssd which getting the power from the raspberry’s usb and connected to the linear psu without any problems.
    The display still with its own 5v “charger”
    This is obviously the best way .

Btw I connect some relays to the power supply in order to turn on off the display only when the raspberry is completely loaded with the os. And trigger the main power with 12v from my external DAC so I can switch it on and off with its remote.
And also a sleep mode that after a while when there is no activity the display power is turn off, while the raspberry is still powered and on, and the display power back when a song is being played.

I am using photon 3.4 for the peppy meter and pygame package . you can install other python versions as you like without any conflicts with the Volumio installed version.

Thanks for answering.
Interesting solutions.
The last solution … if you use a ssd it would limit the storage capacity a bit, although you gain some more things like low power requirement on the HDD and more silence. Interesting.
So … the toroidal transformer is always on? It would be interesting to design a system with a relay to turn everything off.

off course there is… also a relay to turn it off completely as I wrote, trigged by my external DAC.
for SSD, the prices these days are low , I put a 2TB SSD seems to be more than enough .
it is more silence, faster and smaller so it worth it. most of my big files are DSD. the rest of the music is Tidal so no need to store.

Regarding the peppy meter, if I install python 3.4 and do the step from the github it will work? because I di not find the asound conf file, and I have only dev fb1 not Fb0, sgould I exchange this to fb1 in configuration files…
My display is a dsi bit hdmi.
Thanks for your suport.