My homemade raspberry pi streamer

Seems Dion stopped with the addons for the rPi…

That’s looks like a top project awesome.
Love the idea of the htpc again…

Didn’t bother with hats or optical, not worth it for the cost and complicity in Aus. USB to DAC all the way.

1 Like

now also a khadas tone 1 and a toslink to spdif converter built-in, this one is for playing music from TV.

also an atx power module (safe shutdown raspberry pi) and larger block transformer for more power raspberry pi.

If I now compare the khadas tone 1 usb, I would rather choose the Philips NOS DAC … sounds much smoother and more nicely rounded/laid-back than the khadas usb.
it’s just what you like yourself.

1 Like

Very nice setup!

The last thing I had to do was spray everything and that’s done now.

latest changes, ian canada FifoMA 1.5 recklocker and ian canada PurePI power suplly and a few more minor fixes.

at the beginning.
7ca490fa5ae7b36cea2920ba41b0de9b5c62850c_2_690x388

and now.

for the statistics :grinning: an audio research ls7preamp with a pink faun smd infrared rotary encoder, 2 x bryston 7b power amplifiers, reference 3a grand master speakers.

2 Likes

Hi @michel8166 ,

I want to build a streamer with a included linear power supply . Would you please tell me:

• What linear power supply have you used

• Have you used also a power supply regulator to 5V , if yes what mode ?

• You have powered the touchscreen and RP from the same power supply ?

Thanks

I used an ian canada PurePi power supply, it has a 5 and 3.3 volt output (5 volts for pi and at the same time for the Ian canada isolator II (configured in master mode) and 3.3 volts for the ian canada FifoMA reclocker)
this PurePi gets its 5 volts from an audiophonics Power Management and this in turn from a linear power supply that I have adjusted to 8 volts dc.
the 7.9 inch touchscreen gets 5 volts from a cheap switched power supply.

audiophonics-pi-spc-reg-power-management-power-supply to input Ian canada PurePi

ian canada PurePi to input raspberry pi and Ian canada FifoMA

8 volt output for audiophonics-pi-spc-reg-power-management-power-supply

the philips 1543 nos dac has a power supply of 12 volts - and + 12 volts.

3 Likes

Thanks for the great explanation.

1 Like

Hi @michel8166 The Rpi is powered from PurePI but the RPI does not needs 3A and I see that pure pi has only 2.5A which goes in a linear power supply from your link (8V with 2.4A) ? Thx

in principle you don’t have to use that audiophonics power module and instead you can use the Power Module A-19 2x3-20V LT1083 to control the PurePI.

but I find the audiophonics power module useful to turn on and off the raspberry pi power safe.

more amps is better too little is not good. so it doesn’t matter if it’s more.

and the linear power supply for what is used ? Thx

the audiophonics power module provides an output of 5 volts the linear power Module A-19 2x3-20V LT1083 provides 8 volts dc for the audiophonics power module.

the audiophonics power module must be supplied with a minimum of 7 volts dc and a maximum of 12 volts dc, if properly cooled.
you could also just use the linear power Module A-19 2x3-20V LT1083 and set it to 5 volts for the input of the PurePi.
I do give a tip, use a toroidal or blok transformer with 8 volt ac output to the linear power Module A-19 2x3-20V LT1083, at a higher ac voltage it gets much too hot.

1 Like

Thanks ,
And this one Linear Power supply Module regulated DC +/- LM317T / LM337 1.25V / 18V 0.5A - Audiophonics
Is for the amplifier ?

I use this for the Philips 1543 NOS dac, but it is not suitable for raspberry pi or PurePI, it has too little ampere.

1 Like

Thanks , now it is clear :slight_smile: that small amp confuses me …

that was the same idea what i had 0.5 amp is nearly nothing… ( the same as 1 usb port )

Can I use the Module A-19 2x3-20V LT1083 to power the rpi ? Without the power management module and pure pi?

yes, it is practically nothing, but sufficient to control the Philips NOS DAC.

it now sounds beautiful with the ian Canada Products in between… clearly gives an improvement for such an old dac Chip.

philips had nice dacs in the past. more rich sound.

make sure you use a transformer that has no more than 9 volts ac.

i guess because of overheating?