Multiroom usage

Can you elaborate? What did you do exactly and can you post the journal log from when you tried? I have not experienced such behaviour (other than the Pi taking a few seconds to load the settings screen).

You can test this by calling the pstree.

SnapCast is still under development and so is the plugin, if you want to assign a stream you will need the Android app. Otherwise it will connect to the first available stream (MPD). Please see the SnapCast repo, you can find the apk-packages to install under latest releases.

When I hit the settings button for snapchat it seems to simply hang as if the settings screen is about to load but doesn’t. I have left it for about 5 minutes and it still doesn’t finish loading.
This wasn’t the case the very first time I hit settings for snapcast after having done a factory reset and reinstalling.

How do I create a journal log?

You can get the journal log in a couple of ways:

(1) simplest is to reboot your device, carry out the procedure that you want log info about (in your case, try the plugin settings), then send a log report noting the link down here;

(2) at the command line (ssh access or monitor/keyboard connected) type ‘sudo journalctl -b’. This will show the log since the last boot, and you can check through for errors to do with the plugin.

Here’s the log after a reboot and attempted access to the settings

logs.volumio.org/volumio/ut4OQdt.html

This is the previous version, the new one should work alot better, see the following line for the version:

{"prettyName":"SnapCast","name":"SnapCast","category":"miscellanea","version":"1.2.2"

Github the best place to get it?

Aye sir, I’m working on new code locally, as soon as the code is tested in my environment I usually upload to github for others to test.

Same deal sorry

logs.volumio.org/volumio/mBVgoX5.html

I am running a super cheap USB DAC, could that be getting in the way?

Not exactly the same deal, the UI is being populated, but step 7/7 fails:

Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: ## populating UI... Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: 1/7 server settings loaded Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: 2/7 client settings loaded Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: 3/7 MPD settings loaded Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: 4/7 asound settings loaded Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: 5/7 spotify settings loaded Jul 26 09:31:44 volumio volumio[994]: info: 6/7 template settings loaded

Step 7/7 loads the current settings for Volumio (soundcard and mixer), what DAC are you using? It could be that the soundcards cannot be enumerated, this should not block the UI, so I need to patch things I’m affraid.

Success!

I pulled the generic no-name USB audio adapter and have been able to access settings multiple times after multiple restarts. Looks like I’ll have to fork out for another proper DAC

Now how do I use it? I had to leave the house shortly after getting it working.
Should it work pretty much out of the box once I configure the client to see the host?
Is there anything on the playback screen which indicates that I am playing a snapcast stream?

Haha!! I got it working!

Awesome stuff, well done.

I’ve only got it working with local and NAS music so far, not spotify. Any tips there? I thought I had done the correct settings, obviously not

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

The plug-in creates a new stream for Spotify, but you can’t select the stream from within Volumio. You’ll need the Android app for that. I’m working on a single stream option and I’m investigating implementation of the SnapCast API

Cool. Good luck with it.

Where’s the best place to get updates on the project?

I would suggest keeping an eye on Github commits & issues.

Hey,

The best place to get updates is GitHub, you can subscribe to it I think… But if I don’t forget, I will post back here too :wink:

Just to confirm. Does that mean I can’t select the Spotify Stream at all without an android?

At this point yes, will try to patch something tonight. I’ve had this idea to enable single-stream for a while now, but I didn’t have any need for this, now I do :wink:

Unforeseen difficulties have prevented me from releasing a new version. I will try to update this weekend.

I dong think I’ve ever embarked on anything that hasn’t resulted in unforeseen difficulties.

No rush, I won’t be testing anything till the weekend anyway