multiple entries per inferface in /etc/network/interfaces

Hey,

I’m currently using Volumio 2.031 on a Rpi2 with a RT5370 wireless dongle. It always took very long to boot an I tried to figure out why.
Looking at the console log, I noticed that the boot process always stalls at:

A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces

After googling a bit, I found the reason. Configuring network via WebUI produces the following /etc/network/interfaces:

[code]auto wlan0
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual[/code]
After commenting out the ‘auto wlan0’ and ‘auto eth0’ lines, bootup works fast and without errors.
So all in all I think the network configuration should remove the ‘auto *’ (except for ‘lo’) and only set ‘allow-hotplug’.

On a side note: wlan0 is set to manual, although I use dhcp, but I didn’t change that line since the interface seems to come up fine…

Greetings
Zapp!

We’re aware of this, we did not remove the auto statements because we need them to set up NAT (for webui to work properly).
It’s on our todo list…

OK, thanks for your quick reply!

Interesting bit: not sure I understand why webUI needs NATing.
Asking because NAT-thing may also hamper DNS resolution in some cases with some ISP routers…
Just trying to understand a bit more the situation, as several issues may very-well be linked actually.
Thanks.

Also on RPi Zero there is no eth0, so i am forced to boot up on RPi 2 to comment “auto eth0” ,and after it boots succesfully on RPi Zero.