Monitor a UPS?

Since the PI is sensitive to improper shut down, I’d like to put it on a UPS. This would help protect from momentary brownouts, but if there is an extended blackout and I’m away, of course the UPS battery would eventually drain and the Pi would shut right off instead of shutdown safely. Is there a way to configure a Pi running Volumio to monitor a UPS and shut down safely when the battery gets low?

I found this: raspisimon.no-ip.org/ups.php. But I know that Volumio is a self-contained OS. Is it possible to install a program like this on a Pi running Volumio? If not this specific program, does anyone know of one that will work?

well, this one isn’t going to work unless I can get past the first line on the instructions page.

root@volumio:~# sudo apt-get install apcupsd
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package apcupsd

It looked like it was going to install. why the error?

It can’t find the package. Check your repositories see if you don’t miss one and do an apt-get update

Can you please elaborate? I’m not sure what any of that means.

Apt-get install searches for packages in the available repositories. The list of packages can be updated wit apt-get update. If the package is not in the installed repositories you need an other repository, add tue correct repository.