Logitec Media Server plugin for Volumio

Hi,

That’s absolutely correct, the Logitech ecosystem is disparate from the Volumio one. Full integration will probably require some rework on the Squeezelite end. It’s able to display (and control) music playback. However, if no one created a Volumio-adapter, this will be required first. Then it could function like the other services.

As for volume, also a correct observation, as Volumio controls ALSA and the slimproto has its own “gain” if you will. They are bound to be out-of-sync I fear. Not sure what the volspotconnect developed did with the Spotify volume control, but it’s comparable.

A little bit of context; I did write the plugin, but it’s a very basic one, which just makes playback possible (and pulls the correct binaries) :upside_down_face: and since I don’t really use it myself, debugging is very very very time consuming tbh

1 Like

Thank you for the answer, it seems incredible to me that Volumio doesn’t have a native implementation of Squeezelite :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

These days I use Spotify Connect most of time…
But I still surprised because LMS + Material Skin + Squeezelite can do so much for audio DIY enthusiasts ! Modern Web UI, Airplay, Spotify Connect, upnp, multiroon , local library, radios, …

In any case thank you for the work on this plugin, even it’s not fully integrated, it still very useful !

1 Like

I starting using this great plugin in my system and I’m very happy to can use Volumio with LMS but I couldn’t play DSD in this integration. In volumio DSD playbacks go normally. I’m missing something here, some tip?

I believe there’s a plugin for DSDplayer?

The sqeezelite plugin doesn’t save the settings. the file /data/configuration/music_service/squeezelite/config.json stays as is. I can manually edit the file, but when it comes to the audio, no clue what to fill in. The standard setting causes “Unable to open…ALSA”
errors for volumio and through LMS the audio stutters.
Using one of the other Volumio rPi’s it’s working as expected.

Currently experimenting to use LMS as remote library with Volumio as end-point. Seems to work great.

@Wheaten
@Saiyato
Can you please write instructions on how to install on Volumio 3

please wait for the plugin to appear in the plugin section.

The plugin is now available on the plugin store in beta mode (to be enabled on http://{yourvolumio.local/dev}). I was not able to test it, please provide feedback here.

Thanks! I haven’t updated to Volumio 3, and won’t do it, until LMS and Squezeelite are available and stable. That’s the only thing I use Volumio for.

LMS Plugin has been verified and corrected (thanks Sayiato for the quick correction!) and it’s now published and available.

Next, if someone is used to use squeezebox client, please contact us as we need help for testing it.

1 Like

Already mentioned it. The squeezelite plugin doesn’t store it’s settings.

Installed the LMS pluging as well as the squeezlite plugin from Volumio 3. But LMS not opening.
Kindly help. tried “sudo chown -R volumio:volumio /var/lib/squeezeboxserver”.
Restarting hte Volumio many times and still LMS not opening.
Please help

Yes, the DSDplayer plugin are installed.
In the Volumio I can play DSD direct to the DAC but via LMS/Squeezelite the DSD are converted to PCM.
All the configs in the Squeezelite plugin are in default state.

Cheers.

1 Like

I’m by no means an expert on Squeezelite, but the version installed in /opt/ should support DSD up to 1024 (which is absurd of course :wink:). However, piping it through ALSA will probably convert it to PCM first, so the thing you can test is to select the HW audio interface (in my case hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0) instead from the plugin menu.

Note: tonight I patched the problem that configs weren’t saved anymore, for some reason I deleted the template from version 1.1.5. The new version, 1.1.6, is available from the plugin store if you enable test versions (on the /dev page).

I guess we would also need to look into the params for Squeezelite, this topic (DSD on squeezelite) seems to imply that the -D param is needed for DSD. You could try to stop the plugin and run it manually: squeezelite -n squeezebox -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 -D (fill in your own card obviously)

Hi Michelangelo
happy to test the Squeezlite client. Would you be so kind to provide more detailed instructions about installation process. I tried to look at Sayato’s Github but it did not help that much for my basic knowledge.

Thanks
Ale

Hi

I just installed Volumio in a old PC that I have, and I’m also having issues with the LMS plugin.
I have page not found error when trying to access it, and it looks like server log is not being generated on the sqeezebox directory.

I see this thread seems dead… what a pity.

In the meanwhile I had the opportunity through Emil (who is partecipating actively in the Volumio Enthusiasts Group on FB) to get the following step by step procedure.

Result is kind of encouraging, the plugin appears installed after completion, however if you select “Settings” then the config page appears empty with just “No Configuration Available”.
Of course if you access LMS from your browser, Volumio/Squeezelite does not appear among destinations.

Here is the tested procedure (thanks to Emil Ceraceanu for providing me this!).

1. Download the zip archive from GitHub - Saiyato/volumio-squeezelite-plugin: Volumio plugin to install and configure a Squeezelite client
    volumio-squeezelite-plugin.zip
  2. Extract it to /data/plugins/music_service/squeezelite
    Hint: extract the archive locally and use winscp (or alternative) to upload the content to the mentioned folder
  3. Navigate to the folder where you have extracted the files to (cd /data/plugins/music_service/squeezelite)
  4. Install some dependencies
    sudo npm install --save v-conf
    sudo npm install --save fs-extra
    sudo npm install --save kew
  5. Change the permissions to of install.sh (chmod 744 install.sh)
  6. Execute the installer (./install.sh)
  7. Copy the squeezelite service to the service directory
    (sudo cp /data/plugins/music_service/squeezelite/unit/squeezelite.service /etc/systemd/system)
  8. Enable plugin via GUI (plugin manager)
1 Like

So I did the procedure, but it will install only squeezelite, is there another procedure for the LMS server?

1 Like

I’ll see if I can make a plugin that will install LMS on Volumio

1 Like

The LMS plug-in is part of standard plugin set in Volumio 3, as far as I know, it is just Squeezelite missing.

Best