Loading screen with spinner prevents access to web interface

Hello, I am new to and excited about volumio. I have limited experience with *nix, single board computers and digital audio. I have installed volumio 2 version 0.979 on a raspberry pi 3 with a HiFiBerry+ clone DAC. The hardware, including wireless networking, the webserver and DAC appear to be working.

When I attempt to access the volumio at volumio:3000 I can see the web interface but it is masked buy a dark box and a “spinner.” (see attachment) I can reload the page, use a different browser or machine, restart mpd, the result is the same.

volumio.png

The problem seems to be similar to the one described here: https://volumio.org/forum/web-interface-masked-frequently-connecting-overlay-t2926.html. However, the proposed solution seems to be for an earlier version of volumio and the referenced file does not seem to exist in this version.

/var/log/volumio.log doesn’t appear to have any pertinent information in it but I’m happy to share whatever might be helpful. I must admit I’m at a bit of a loss. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Hi!
Just to know ;
Why do you need to access port 3000?

As far as I can tell, port 3000 is the location of the default volumio interface. Port 80 doesn’t work at all.

Ok, The suggestion here https://volumio.org/forum/connection-refused-volumio-raspi-after-updating-t4596.html by Torsten seems relevant.

If I edit local-config.json to reflect the rpi’s IP address, I can get into the interface. This workaround seems less than optimal as the device is getting its address via DHCP…

Other ideas?

I think we’re getting something wrong with IPtables rules not being loaded…

Could you paste the output of :
sudo iptables --table nat --list

Yes. It looks like this:

[code]sudo iptables --table nat --list
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
[/code]

Are you connected with wireless or LAN?

I’m connecting wirelessly, encrypted network, hidden SSID. When I set it up initially, I didn’t know about the initial hotspot and configuration of wireless, etc. through the web interface. I connected a monitor and keyboard and edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand to get the wireless working. I’ve made any subsequent changes over ssh.

Ok that’s a hint. So probably, what’s happening here is:
your manual configuration prevents the NAT rules from being loaded properly (they get loaded when a network interface is brought up).
You can solve by adding :

iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules

To rc.local or any other autostart method

For more info, look at what happens when an interface is brought up here:
github.com/volumio/Build/tree/m … f-pre-up.d

Thank you, kind sir. And thanks for volumio. I will let you know what happens.

A followup to my manually mucking about with system settings and breaking stuff:

I did a “factory reset” from the “system settings” page. I was able to easily connect to the hotspot, change network settings and everything worked exactly as it should. Thanks again michelangelo, et. al.