Library, new features

Maybe my way did not work, since that node was not up after reboot.
Issued command manually - and it works.

How did you add it to crontab?

Will get back to you later on how it works , need to pick up my kid from school.

I used forever ( github.com/nodejitsu/forever )

To use forever:

sudo npm install -g forever

in crontab:

@reboot forever start /var/www/node/server.js

Yes I’m using 1.5.

For cron, i use @reboot node /var/www/node/server.js
I’ve appended some thing I found that disabled the mail cron tends to send, I didn’t knew cron did that so I never had any clue why I got all those mails XD

-edit-

got to check what is was that blocks the mails

>/dev/null 2?&1

making it:

@reboot node /var/www/node/server.js >/dev/null 2>&1

Hi!

First of all great work. The Library seems to work even with 10k+ (I have almost 16000 songs).
I like that the albumArtist tag is used :slight_smile:
The Library tab is slow at first load (as you say) but after that it works quite well.
I have not tested all the buttons and playlist functionalities yet.

I think there is a stability issue. It’s difficult to say what causes it but …

1. After I added a new mount the feeling I have is that I had to reboot my Pi to be able to connect (might be that I did not wait long enough).
  2. Even after all the mounts finished I some times get an empty Browse!! and Library tab. If I reboot the Pi it works again.
    The weird thing is that Firebug in Firefox shows no errors (lots of GET and POST with OK but Chrome Firebug console gives red lines and “Aborted”
    Library shows “Finished to scan 0 items”.

In general Chrome works better that Firefox (for me). With Firefox I get popups with (freely translated from Swedish):

I have also seen the following error:

The first time I added a mount (smb) I issued the "node /var/www/node/server.js " command directly via ssh. Apparently I had 2 files with corrupt file names (I found them after a while) and the "node /var/www/node/server.js " exited with the following error.

/Palle

Hi Palle,

Thanks for feedback. We need to investigate those issues.
About the last issue (file name encoding), I guess it’s file name encoded in some swedish ISO, not utf8. If you still have it, I’d be interested if you can send it to me.

Also, just to better understand: do you have everything now running correctly, after you restarted pi, or do you still experience issues?

This one is probably a consequence of previous errors, not the cause

No I don’t have the files (in their original state) anymore. When I looked at them in Dolphin (file manager) the names looked weird and was faulty. I did manage to rename them but I could not just edit the filename and correct one character I deleted the whole filename and re-entered it.
Sorry - should have kept one of them in original state.

As to the problem of loosing contact I found a sequence that repeats it.
On Computer - Start Chrome and go to Volumio - Open Librarytab
On same computer start Firefox - Go to Volumio - Browse and Library tab i empty.
On Tablet started Chrome - Browse and Library tab empty
Quit Chrome on Computer - Browse or Library still empty in Firefox and on tablet.

Only solution I found after this is to reboot Pi (have not tried to restart any of the individual services on the Pi)

My guess is that the ongoing update to the first instance locks???
I will test later by not entering the Library tab in the first instance and also towait til Library is fully populated.

One other thing I noted.
I have 2 Volumios running (one operation and one for testing).
If I have a song playing on the operational Volumio and connect to the second one the playpack indicator/timer is counting seconds (even though nothing is playing). Press stop and the counter stops. Press play and nothing (no music selected).

/Palle

I get the same error:

Could not read tags: ENOENT, open '/var/www/libtags.json'

and updating of the library halts, usually at 3729 tracks, but it has sometimes gone up to 13815 tacks, not anywhere near the total that is on the disk.

BTW the file ‘/var/www/libtags.json’ is empty when I open it in nano.

As long as I stay away from opening more than one connecting browser it’s been stable, no reboot needed.

But I have noted that when I open the Library tab and it’s not populated the Update arrows are turning but nothing ever dispalys. Ineed to click “Force Update” for the tab to get populated. ((Yes I did wait a long time).

/Palle

@Palle: I’ve found some concurrency issues in my code, still needing further investigating, but it’s probably somewhat related to what you’ve found. I’ll let you know when there’s some progress. The scenario you gave helps me a lot, thanks!

@TheUnforgiven: I’ll add some debug logs because it’s not easy to understand what happens. You can ignore the log about libtags.json, it’s not related (and it’s actually not an real error; this file is used for rating songs, so having an absent or empty file just means that you didn’t rate any song yet)

Ok, ignoring mode on :wink: since I do not rate songs anymore…

Another thing I have noticed is the sort order of names in the All Artists column:
Special chars. ( ’ )
Numbers (0 to 9)
Uppercase (A to Z)
Lowercase (a to z)
Special letters (like ÆØÅ in my case for Norwegian artists)

So if an artist name occurs with both beginning upper- and lowercase characters, for example a-ha and A-ha, the instance A-ha is near the top of the list and a-ha is at the end of the list…

Having trouble with this. Decided to try out the beta since my library tab was completely unpopulated, have a little over 10000 tracks in my music folder. I upgraded from 1.4 to Volumio 1.51 and ran the commands as specified here with no trouble, no error messages.
After a reboot and refresh of all library sources I’ve ended up with both the browse tab and the library tab being completely empty. I’ve changed the js file from “add” to “add-entry” as suggested on page 2 and rebooted. The netstat command also shows the expected output. My music library is mounted (by manual script) and visible however in the browse tab I only see /NAS/ in the bottom left corner. Used to be NAS/NAS_Lib:

root@volumio:/var/www/js# netstat -tulpn | grep :8081
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8081            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3272/nodejs
root@volumio:/var/www/js# pstree
initââ¬âavahi-daemonâââavahi-daemon
     ââdbus-daemon
     ââdhclient
     ââdjmountâââ9*[{djmount}]
     ââloginâââbash
     ââminidlna
     ââmonit
     ââmpdâââ4*[{mpd}]
     âânginxââânginx
     âânmbd
     âânodejsââânodejsâââ4*[{nodejs}]
     ââphp5-fpmâââ5*[php5-fpm]
     ââplayer_wdog.shâââsleep
     ââplayer_wrk.php
     âârpc.idmapd
     âârpc.statd
     âârpcbind
     ââshairportâââ{shairport}
     ââsmbdâââsmbd
     ââsshdâââsshdâââbashâââpstree
     ââupmpdcliâââ8*[{upmpdcli}]
     ââwinbinddâââwinbindd
root@volumio:/var/www/js# df -h
Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                   15G  931M   14G   7% /
/dev/root                15G  931M   14G   7% /
devtmpfs                239M     0  239M   0% /dev
tmpfs                    49M  580K   48M   2% /run
tmpfs                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                   256M     0  256M   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1           75M   20M   55M  27% /boot
Ramdisk                 256M     0  256M   0% /run/shm
//192.168.3.104/music/  2.7T  984G  1.8T  36% /mnt/NAS/NAS_Lib

What can I do?

Looks nice. I will try it out. Is the development going on?

The branch did not work for me.

First start there comes a message: Please update. I tried to ignore but nothing worked - so i clicked on update.
I cant see anything in the Browse, there is no back button.
node has same open errors, both screenshots attached.

I go back to stable release :wink:
201501_105546_ta.png
201501_110048_ta.png