I don’t know if this is the best place to post this, if not please move it to the right category.
I started this project few months ago and I was using Runeaudio at time. It was a stable release and the only one that fully worked with the new Raspberry 3.
Over the time I found some difficulties as 99% of the Internet tutorials and forum posts are dedicated to Jessie, not Arch. Since sound was working and I was able to control Runeaudio with the buttons I stopped working on the project.
Some weeks ago Airplay stopped working, again! And before burning my “working image” on the SD I decided to spend some time search for updates/solutions. Soon I found out that Runeaudio community was still dead so I decided to try Volumio again. Now on build 2.0.
Everything worked as it should and to be honest I’m really loving it.
The alarm function is really great, I love the Plugins idea and since I’m on Jessie it won’t be a problem to finally drive the LCD.
Today I decided that my project should continue with Volumio. Since I’m again in the mood I’ll spend some free time to finally finishing it.
Now the project:
I bought an old non-working Jukebox Radio on the Dutch Craigslist (marktplaats.nl) for 85€ to create a “Digital Jukebox” inside and keep the outside as it is.
So, what I’ve done so far.
Remove all old electronics
Connected all buttons to Arduino (used the old ones connected with resistor arrays to save pins)
Replace the old pots with rotary encoders
Replace the LCD
✘ Remove scratches from the acrylic
✘ Clean it properly
✘ Replace button labelling
✘ Create a small acrylic back door to access all the electronics
On the software side:
Install and configure Volumio
Install and configure PlainAMP
Configure Adafruit Pro Trinket as keyboard
Player control buttons (five on the left)
Playlist/Radio buttons (five on the right)
Volume and mute encoder
✘ Bass encoder (there’s no command to change EQ on PlainAmp yet and I think they won’t release it!)
✘ Treble encoder (there’s no command to change EQ on PlainAmp yet and I think they won’t release it!)
✘ Menu Navigation encoder (waiting for the LCD)
✘ One encoder that I don’t know what to do with it
✘ Power button (since the Pi will be working 24/7 use this button for something)
✘ Lights (replace them with addressable led strip with spectrum analizer)
✘ Lights button (change between different led modes)
✘ LCD (still trying for a nice script working with Adafruit i2c backpack)
✘ Replace original speakers and tweeters (i really like the sound as it is so I think there’s no reason to change)
And now some pictures.
Back of the button resistor array and LCD:
The encoders and the resistor array for the middle buttons:
The first “Hello World”:
The LCD had to be trimmed to fit. Only one line of the circuit was interrupted (fixed with the purple wire).