Is this 5'' 800x480 TFT Raspberry Pi DSI Touchscreen compatible with the official touchplugin?

I have ordered the same touchscreen for my brother-in-law, as soon as it is in and start building for his volumio streamer I will check if there is some version number in it.

keep on building new ones @michel8166 fill the world with volumio streamers lol

hahahah I will :grin:

happened to have the brother of a good friend of mine visit recently and heard my volumio streamer, he was quite impressed, he himself has no childish stuff either, everything from pinkfaun (also the streamer) and thiel speakers .

so probably building a streamer for him too, it’s just a matter of time before he sees the benefits.

nice keep up the good work :stuck_out_tongue:

Quick question about your screen. Is there a way to just turn the screen off and not the Rpi? I want to use a touch screen but I don’t want to turn the whole system off at night, just the screen.

@gvolt 4.3 inch waveshare has arrived, there is no version number on this one either. there is only a number on the packaging.

Thanks a lot for reporting back!

Then one would only be able to distinguish older versions by the PCB. This is how it still looked on Waveshare’s website on 2021-04-11 (taken from wayback machine):

So there seem to be at least two generations of the PCB of which the older probably only supports brightness adjustment by PWM.

And although the wiki still contains

Question:
How to adjust the backlight?

Answer:
You need to remove the resistor and wire the top pad to P1 of Raspberry Pi and control it by PWM.

gpio -g pwm 18 0
gpio -g mode 18 pwm
gpio pwmc 1000
gpio -g pwm 18 X(X is in range 0~1024, 0: Darkest, 1024: brightest)

your experience shows that (at least) the current version allows brightness adjustment by software.

michel8166 already knows that this display works :wink: Our discussion is about different board revisions and their capability of adjusting display brightness (you may check postings beginning with #58).

the streamer for my brother-in-law is already taking shape. now only the touchscreen/ infrared and power on off button.

:+1: Will you integrate the display into the front panel?

yes, touchscreen comes on the left.

the rear.

The front plate looks pretty massive, aluminium I guess. Do you cut it by hand or do you use a CNC machine?

I’m going to do this by hand.

you love hand jobs :slight_smile:

yes you really don’t need two left hands to get this done, two right hands is a requirement :raised_hand::raised_hand:

my work in the past was programming all kinds of robotics like salvagnini, kuka, asea, saf and laser machines, so i know what i’m doing :wink:

I still have to make it flat and straight, but the start is there

two right hands and a good vise a drill for some holes and a good hacksaw,files :stuck_out_tongue:

no i use a handsaw is much more fun :grinning:

by the way salvagnini is a machine of Italian brokerage :+1:
also been there couple of times in Italy for curses, at least they have real pizza, yummy :pizza:

a hacksaw was een vertaling van een ijzerzaag michel :stuck_out_tongue: leuke machine ik heb alles nog
met de hand geleerd :stuck_out_tongue: ponzen, vouwen,(punt) lassen van staal bakken voor accu’s daarna powdercoaten je kent het wel :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha, zo ben ik ook begonnen.

this would be nice work for a cnc frees machine ook leuk spul ook mee gespeelt :stuck_out_tongue: